Sponsored by:

What scanner will work with the 992

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 01:28 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,097 Likes on 577 Posts
Default What scanner will work with the 992

I have a foxwell NT530 it worked on my 981GT4 fox well does not support the 992. What scanner works with 992? I want to use it for resetting maintenance reminders and scanning for fall coats. Thanks carl
Old 06-01-2021, 02:39 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

iCarSoft CR MAX
Old 06-01-2021, 02:57 AM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
iCarSoft CR MAX
have you used it? Carl
Old 06-01-2021, 04:11 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
have you used it? Carl
Have not used it.
Reviews look good.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:55 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Be sure to contact the manufacturer before purchase. Almost any of the Scanners will read and clear Trouble Codes. I have two 10+ year old Scanners that read and can clear the Trouble Codes on my 2021 C2S just fine. The issue is that, to the best of my knowledge so far, none of the Scanners presently on the market are capable of resetting the "Maintenance Minders". If/when that changes, I'm a buyer, but until then . . . . .
The following users liked this post:
MattAlaska (01-16-2023)
Old 06-01-2021, 09:24 AM
CliffClavin
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I was told the Launch X431 scanner will work. I have the scanner in my possession, but have not verified it's capabilities yet. I can run through the menus this evening though and provide some feedback.
The following 2 users liked this post by CliffClavin:
Mikster (06-10-2021), russbert (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:48 AM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by CliffClavin
I was told the Launch X431 scanner will work. I have the scanner in my possession, but have not verified it's capabilities yet. I can run through the menus this evening though and provide some feedback.
that would be great ! Thanks carl
Old 06-01-2021, 08:19 PM
CliffClavin
Advanced

My apologies for the orientation of this photo. I'm on my phone posting these so this will have to suffice for now. Set up and connection were straightforward. I hooked up with my wifi and it asked for an email to send diagnostic information to. It required me to turn the vehicle on accessory setting and presented me with this menu when I went into the service menu.

Here, you can see the oil service interval screen as well as other resets.

It was at this point I did not proceed any further, but it appears to be fully functional. I am not due for an oil service yet so I did not reset, but if there are truly concerns with it, let me know and I can navigate through the menus.
The following 2 users liked this post by CliffClavin:
Bluehighways (06-01-2021), Winnetka (01-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2021, 09:49 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

My apologies for the orientation of this photo. I'm on my phone posting these so this will have to suffice for now. Set up and connection were straightforward. I hooked up with my wifi and it asked for an email to send diagnostic information to. It required me to turn the vehicle on accessory setting and presented me with this menu when I went into the service menu.
Here, you can see the oil service interval screen as well as other resets.
It was at this point I did not proceed any further, but it appears to be fully functional. I am not due for an oil service yet so I did not reset, but if there are truly concerns with it, let me know and I can navigate through the menus.
Many thanks!
FWIW, I have sent the following email/text to this company (Sales@x431tool.com) as follows:
"Your current "LAUNCH X431 V PRO 4.0 2021" Scan Tool has been recommend.
Question regarding two U.S.A. vehicles: 1.) Porsche 2021 911, 2.) BMW 2021 X5 4.5e: Does your current delivered Hardware & Software version of your Scan Tool P/N: X431 V PRO 4.0 2021 have full (Except Manufacturer Proprietary OBD-II) bidirectional capabilities with both of these vehicles?
Where can I obtain and/or can you provide a list of this Scan tool's capabilities when used on a specific vehicle?
Regards,"
I will post their reply when I receive it.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:14 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

So I got a reply (that probably came from China) see below. I also called the USA distributor for Launch Scan Tools in Ontario California. Launch USA told me several things: First, the Scan Tools they are presently selling have no coverage for any 992 Porsche's and that their coverage tends to lag a vehicle's release in the USA by 18 months, sometimes a bit more. Third, some non-USA vendors may be selling Launch Scan Tools through various sites. I told him I was looking at the "LAUNCH X431 PRO3S+ 2021 Elite Ver. Bi-Directional Scan Tool" that was presently being offered through Amazon. He told me that Amazon was not one of Launch USA's "authorized" vendors.

So here's what I've done: I have an Amazon Prime Membership. This allows me to return the tool at no cost if it doesn't perform as described. FWIW, According to: 1.) The information contained in the Amazon ad for this Scan Tool, 2.) The international Launch Company website, as well as, 3.) The information contained via the link below, this Scan Tool should work just fine on a 992 Porsche from 2019 on.

So I'll see. I'm supposed to receive this Scan Tool on or before next Wednesday June 9th. I'll plug it in on the 10th and I'll let you all know if it works. If not, it'll go back to Amazon. Either way we'll all be a bit wiser I suppose.

The link below is to their: "VEHICLE COVERAGE INQUIRY LIST" It contains a searchable database of all the manufacturer's that they cover and the line code's that the Scan Tool can access for each Year, Make and Model. It actually gets fairly detailed, although some of the terminology can be a bit cryptic and there are quite a few design level acronyms.

=================== / / / / / ====================

Hello,
Please check here: https://qcar.x431.com/newqcar/
Regards
Queena

Last edited by Bluehighways; 06-04-2021 at 11:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (06-05-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 12:51 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Well . . . . I received my "LAUNCH X431 PRO3S+ 2021 Elite Ver. Bi-Directional Scan Tool" today.

The setup process involves downloading all of the latest software that they have available and as I'm a bit OCD about such things it also included reading the owners manual/instruction booklet that comes with the tool.

Most of the setup was either fairly straight forward or intuitive if one has had any experience with these sorts of pc driven diagnostic tools.

When I connected this tool to my 2021 C2S it did recognize the car correctly. Year, Make, Model and VIN (which is how Y.M.M. information is determined) were correct.

What data it could read was accurate and easy to obtain.

Bi-Directional functions were fairly limited, but those that were available did function well.

Unfortunately there were/are an awful lot of capabilities which this tool has, but for which the manufacturer of the tool does not have the ability to access or command on my 2021 C2S Porsche. For example, the ability to reset the Oil Maintenance Reminder is shown as an active selection, but it does not reset the oil service system on the car. It does not generate any errors or other issues. It just doesn't have any effect on the data presented by the system on the car.

So my overall impression is that it is a tool with the hardware capability, system programming and the promise of functionality in the future . . . . at the moment IMHO it's just not ready for Prime Time for a 992 Porsche just yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
540gone (06-10-2021), Mikster (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 02:30 AM
4carl
Race Car

“So my overall impression is that it is a tool with the hardware capability, system programming and the promise of functionality in the future . . . . at the moment IMHO it's just not ready for Prime Time for a 992 Porsche just yet.”

thanks for testing, still hoping to find a scanner that works. Carl
Old 06-10-2021, 08:41 AM
CliffClavin
Advanced

Hope this isn’t the case Bluehighways, but I read a post last night (maybe on the Macan threads) about not updating the tool as it will disable the tool’s ability to interface with the service minders. Something about Porsche trying to shut down this ability as proprietary software. I’m trying to find it.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:13 AM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks for the info BlueH. I hope the X tool can get updated later since I like to perform services myself. Fwiw, I used a X tool on my 958 ctt to oil and maintenance reset in the past, worked great. Please keep us posted, hopefully again a software updates in the future.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:24 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Hope this isn’t the case Bluehighways, but I read a post last night (maybe on the Macan threads) about not updating the tool as it will disable the tool’s ability to interface with the service minders. Something about Porsche trying to shut down this ability as proprietary software. I’m trying to find it.
The tool comes as a "Tabula Rosa" (Blank Slate). The initialization isn't really an update, it's an installation of the applications and their associated databases, without which the tool is essentially a rather attractive iPad. As for Porsche making any maintenance reminder capabilities proprietary that's already the case as are much of the other capabilities of this tool and others like it. Only OBD II information addressed in the Clean Air Act isn't proprietary. This is a rather small subset of the information and capabilities these tools have.

Quick Reply: What scanner will work with the 992