Sponsored by:

New 992 Engine Mount issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 08:46 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 82 Posts
Default New 992 Engine Mount issue

After 6 weeks of dealing with a low speed knocking or thumping issue coming from the rear, Porsche finally has told me they have been getting reports from others on the same issue. The engineer who looked at my car from PCNA said it was engine mounts to his best guess. Now a call or communication from Germany confirms the issue. They have already been replaced once 10 days ago and the issue remains exactly the same. If the parts need to be re-engineered, who knows how long this will take. I have no idea how many cars are affected but I know my does not sound like a car costing well over 100k. I don't know how to handle this!! I just want what I paid for and as of now, its not even close to the experience I was hoping for.
I'm really happy that I have not seen others with this issue but I feel a bit like I am alone here.
So should I get Porsche to take the car back immediately and guarantee me an allocation OR do I wait and take a chance that it gets resolved sooner than later? I was already without the car almost all of July so lemon law is close to being an option but I want to work with Porsche to get the best outcome here. Very frustrated that this is how I spent half my summer. Trying to fix a brand new Porsche 911, the JD Power #1 most reliable car for 2020.
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!!
The following 3 users liked this post by GoCards67:
Fullyield (11-07-2023), Patrick Pigulski (09-24-2021), Winnetka (07-17-2023)
Old 08-11-2021, 09:49 PM
DriveItRob
AutoX

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

So you've been without your car nearly all Summer and they have replaced the engine mounts to no avail. If it was me I'd go with the option to have them to take back the car for the price paid plus what you paid for PPF. As you note, also get you a guaranteed spot on a 2022 allocation for a mutually agreeable price. I'd be so disgusted right now it would be hard for me to enjoy my dream car under these circumstances, so I'd go the replacement route. Life's too short not to be rightfully satisfied.
The following 3 users liked this post by DriveItRob:
BigRed911 (06-02-2023), Tedster (08-12-2021), Winnetka (07-17-2023)
Old 08-11-2021, 11:55 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't know about your specific model, but the early 2020 models had a recall on engine mounts.
The following users liked this post:
BudFox6 (10-26-2023)
Old 08-11-2021, 11:58 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 729 Likes on 404 Posts

Pretty simple part, you wonder if they recently sourced it from a different supplier and that's what caused this. And how can just some cars have the problem?
Old 08-12-2021, 03:33 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Just curious . . . . I get, what for lack of a better term, I'd call a "Loose Lumber" rattle/noise in Normal Mode under light acceleration. Does this description sound (no pun intended) like what those with known bad motor mounts are experiencing?
KLOC (06-30-2022)
Old 08-12-2021, 10:29 AM
reyesanders
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I could be completely wrong as I am basing my reply on a previous experience with a 2008 BMW 550i (which I lemoned) but I thought the engine knocking noises correlate with engine block issues and engine mounts will affect the ride quality as the engine might not be securely/strictly leveled/still. Any chance you can post a video of the sounds you're referring to? Also, what year and trim and how many miles do you have on the 911?
Old 08-12-2021, 06:07 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Just curious . . . . I get, what for lack of a better term, I'd call a "Loose Lumber" rattle/noise in Normal Mode under light acceleration. Does this description sound (no pun intended) like what those with known bad motor mounts are experiencing?
That is about what it sounds like. Almost like something in the rear is rattling about . It can happen under heavy or light acceleration. Porsche engineers said.. engine mount. It is unacceptable. Sounds like the car is falling apart.
Bluehighways (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 06:09 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
I don't know about your specific model, but the early 2020 models had a recall on engine mounts.
That recall from what i was told is for a simple cover that was left off the motor mounts at the factory. Nothing to do with noise or anything like that.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:12 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reyesanders
I could be completely wrong as I am basing my reply on a previous experience with a 2008 BMW 550i (which I lemoned) but I thought the engine knocking noises correlate with engine block issues and engine mounts will affect the ride quality as the engine might not be securely/strictly leveled/still. Any chance you can post a video of the sounds you're referring to? Also, what year and trim and how many miles do you have on the 911?
This knocking is something you can feel in your feet or your arm if on the armrest. I can put the car in neutral and coast and easily duplicate the noise. At this point, no one is thinking engine or transmission. My car is a 2021 Carrera. I first reported the issue to the dealer with about 1200 miles but I honestly believe I heard it earlier. I didn't rush to the dealer immediately because I was sure it was a heat shield or exhaust bracket. Something simple!! NOPE. At this point, ZERO confidence it will be fixed in a timely manner.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:15 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Hey, sorry to read about this especially after the long wait. As suggested, can you post a sound byte of the noise?

I have a knock/rattle sound over rough (gravel) roads but it's in the front. Yes, I've checked the frunk and underneath for loose stones/gravel. Goes away once I'm on paved roads mostly.

siberian
Old 08-16-2021, 11:02 PM
Spotty-Dog
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCards67
This knocking is something you can feel in your feet or your arm if on the armrest. I can put the car in neutral and coast and easily duplicate the noise. At this point, no one is thinking engine or transmission. My car is a 2021 Carrera. I first reported the issue to the dealer with about 1200 miles but I honestly believe I heard it earlier. I didn't rush to the dealer immediately because I was sure it was a heat shield or exhaust bracket. Something simple!! NOPE. At this point, ZERO confidence it will be fixed in a timely manner.
I think I have the same thing. It is a rattle that occurs around 1,500 RPM. With the top down, it isn't as noticeable but with the top up, it is definitely noticieable. I'm taking it in on the 26th to replace the broken seat strap as well as this rattling issue. I also had a case where the cruise control reported that it was "Temporarily unavailable" with no other explanation.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:06 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spotty-Dog
I think I have the same thing. It is a rattle that occurs around 1,500 RPM. With the top down, it isn't as noticeable but with the top up, it is definitely noticieable. I'm taking it in on the 26th to replace the broken seat strap as well as this rattling issue. I also had a case where the cruise control reported that it was "Temporarily unavailable" with no other explanation.
I can hear mine under light acceleration from a stop. Any changes in road surface at low speeds also causes the issue. Sounds like a knocking or something came loose. So annoying and seems to be getting worse.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:26 PM
Wpking
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2021 4S. Dealer replaced the rear shock, did not fix the issue.

What is the status of your car?
Old 09-23-2021, 07:26 PM
Spotty-Dog
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I was told it was characteristic of Porsche, full stop. I've given up.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:15 PM
Wpking
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Service department at my dealer tells me that this is a known issue. They don’t know how to fix, but they said Porsche acknowledges that there were other owners with the same issue.

Last edited by Wpking; 09-23-2021 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: New 992 Engine Mount issue