Sponsored by:

Garage Renovation Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 12:54 AM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by PJSD
That is the most bad a** garage I've seen. What does something like that cost? If you don't mind my asking...
Thanks Very Much

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
Same question. Inquiring minds want to know . . .
Well the cost of the actual equipment, honestly I haven't done a cost analysis, and most of the labor I did myself. I did everything but the floor myself. So the number isn't the only cost, Labor is big.

Originally Posted by TR772
I'm guessing between 35-45
Good Guess.

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
I'll take the under on 45
You would be a bit off.

Originally Posted by TR772
Cabinets 20, floor 5, Lighting 5, Electrical and paint 5, The cleaning station god only knows...
Close,

Actually more like this

Cabinets $15K

Floor 4K

Electrical (Dedicated Sub Panel with 12 Circuits) 5K

Compressed Air 4K

Detailing Cabinet including Hidden Vaccum System 10K

Full Insulation, Plywood Layer, Sheetrock, Paint $6K

Lighting, including all Led & Smart Lighting $4K

OLED Mac Computer Set Up $4K

AV 8 Speakers 2 Subs, On Wall AV Rack & 55 inch TV $8K

Countertops, Trim, Various Bits $4K

So not counting any tools (of which there are many) were at around 66K not counting my own labor

Originally Posted by mksz51
Garage looks very nice - one concern I would have. I see the miter saw - not sure if that is for metal or wood cutting. IF wood you'll get sawdust everywhere - and you'll never get it clean again. I do a fair amount of woodworking / construction projects - miter saw, table saw, router, etc. are ALWAYS outside to save the relatively dust free environment I have in my garage.
Its for wood only. That is a concern, notice the black cover in the back? That's a Saw Stop Saw, the Planer and all the Festool tools are in one of the big cabinets. One of the other cabinets hlds the dust collection system and there is actually a 4 inch and a festool dust collector under the TV that auto activate when the saw comes on, between it and the shroud it handles most of the dust. That being said after a day of woodworking it takes an hour or so to get it back to clean. Ive built all the furniture and cabinets in my home and my woodworking projects are far fewer than they used to be.
The following 3 users liked this post by SFAVGUY:
aggie57 (11-05-2021), allen986 (11-07-2021), Marv (06-24-2023)
Old 11-05-2021, 12:56 AM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Originally Posted by tgcrun
SFAVGUY, Thanks for the info. Your garage is amazing and pretty close to what I'm after.
If you want any specific info on Brands, etc I'm happy to help.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:26 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,372 Likes on 514 Posts

I have been down this road twice in the past few years first in San Diego and a few months after it was done we moved to Norcal and had to do it all over again. In both cases I started off looking for a full service garage renovation company that I could write a big check to and could do it all in a seamless way.

Both times, I ended up doing something different - hiring a GC in San Diego and GC'ing the project myself here in Norcal. There are companies that specialize in garage remodels (eg Tailored Living mentioned above) but they tend to do cabinets and floors. If you want to do more than that (lighting, electrical, plumbing, paint, some carpentry/structural) you are on your own. Plus, they tend to have proprietary/narrow options for cabinets and/or flooring material.

In the end, while I didn't relish the logistics and hassle of being my own GC, I found it pretty easy to do the research, hire subs, order the materials (mostly cabinets) do a lot of coordinating/scheduling and getting it done. Working from home due to COVID made it a lot easier too. I'm happy to go into it in more detail if helpful but what I did was basically:
  1. Order cabinets directly from NewAge products (high quality - not as expensive as you'd think in the end) - this included delivery and installation
  2. Remove all the old cabinets and everything in the garages (I have two as you will see in the video)
  3. Get some quotes from epoxy companies and hire one to come out and do it
  4. Hired a carpenter to build an enclosure/door (that I had to research and order parts for) to enclose my water heater/furnace
  5. Research the brightest recessed pancake LED lights I could get, order a bunch and hired electrician to install
  6. Hire my wife's favorite painters (she's always getting something done in the house) to fix up drywall and paint everything white
  7. Get cabinets installed/re-organize everything that had been sitting outside in various boxes and old cabinets
  8. Get a junk removal service to take everything away.
The whole process took about a month I think and it was a bit of a pain (couldn't use the garages for parking at times - stuff all over the place pretty much the whole time) but the end result is awesome and it wasn't megabucks. You can see the before and after here:

Oh and by the way, the reason I hired a GC in San Diego were that I needed a bunch of structural work to raise the ceiling height and allow the installation of a lift. Here in NorCal, it was pretty much all surface/cosmetic stuff which I felt more able to manage myself. San Diego garage below for reference.

Last edited by RudyP; 11-05-2021 at 08:35 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by RudyP:
aggie57 (11-05-2021), AlterZgo (06-24-2023), lucycan (11-07-2021), mikey94025 (11-05-2021), mthreat (06-23-2023), rouxeny (05-05-2022), tourenwagen (05-05-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-06-2021, 06:27 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

As mentioned above, I’d contact Matt at obsessed garage. He can design a garage for you. Ship everything to you. Then have a contractor install.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:35 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Thanks for the input. RudyP, those are some nice looking garages. We bought a 1950's ranch that was in its original condition and had it completely renovated last year (from 3000 miles away during a pandemic). It came out great, but we decided to save the garage for last until we moved in and got settled. The contractor who did my renovations is great, so I'm thinking my best bet is to have Obsessed Garage design it and my contractor do the drywall work, electrical work and cabinet installation.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:57 PM
Gables
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
As mentioned above, I’d contact Matt at obsessed garage. He can design a garage for you. Ship everything to you. Then have a contractor install.
Does Matt provide construction drawings...if not does he provide any plans to guide the GC
Old 11-06-2021, 10:32 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Thanks for the input. RudyP, those are some nice looking garages. We bought a 1950's ranch that was in its original condition and had it completely renovated last year (from 3000 miles away during a pandemic). It came out great, but we decided to save the garage for last until we moved in and got settled. The contractor who did my renovations is great, so I'm thinking my best bet is to have Obsessed Garage design it and my contractor do the drywall work, electrical work and cabinet installation.
I'm sure that will come out awesome. Matt is properly obsessed! Please report back to show us the finished product.

If I can give you one piece of advice - get a ton of light! The more lights and the brighter, the better! I put 16 fixtures in each 2 car garage - the brightest ones I could find.
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (06-24-2023)
Old 11-07-2021, 06:39 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Gables
Does Matt provide construction drawings...if not does he provide any plans to guide the GC
That I do not know.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:09 PM
Jkb545
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Or you could invest time and enjoy the process instead of contracting the whole remodel. I got the epoxy floor done by a contractor, designed the cabinet with a cabinet maker (maple clear stained), glass steps with LEDs sourced from Canada, stringers designed by me/crafted in New York, bench top from Upstate New York, bench legs via etsy, paint colors selected by wife (painted professionally), and LED lighting from Amazon on top on cabinet triggered by motion sensor in the ceiling all at cost of about 13K. Good entertainment for 4 months during Covid.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jkb545:
AlterZgo (06-24-2023), tourenwagen (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 12:30 PM
JeniferTosa18
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved into a new house in Florida 2 months ago, and I'm also looking for a repair company. I've heard good reviews about the Tailored Living company, but they don't have any free time for the next six months. So, I am looking for a company that can quickly repair an old garage. I need a master specializing in built-in cabinets. The old garage is small, so I need to equip it with enough space for my two cars. I am ready to write a big check if the repair is done efficiently and completed on time.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:11 PM
Silver4.6
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SFAVGUY
I used a company called tailored living that seems to be in your area, full disclosure they only did my floor but are very good and do whole garage redo’s.

If you want to go overboard contact obsessed garage and have them design your whole space.

I went overboard

love your set-up! How wide / which version of the new age cabinet did you house the detail stuff in? It looks like maybe the pro 36”?

I’m looking at something similar and think there is a 28 mobile locker, and then a 36,42,48 in the pro series.
Old 06-23-2023, 01:27 AM
SFAVGUY
Racer

The 36 pro. But it's tight and if you have the room bigger would be good:
Old 06-23-2023, 10:33 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 777 Posts

I love all the garages. Beautiful. But I kicked it old school. I remodeled our kitchen and moved all our old kitchen counters and cabinets to my garage. Does not look anything as nice as any of yours but cost was zero and cabinets are 100% functional. If I ever build a house or garage, though, I am following your nice examples.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:59 PM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

How much effort is it to keep the epoxy floor clean?

I did a crappy job w/ epoxy paint 25 years ago and have been thinking of having a proper epoxy floor professionally installed...
but then I look at all the dirt either blown in by the wind or tracked in by the cars (especially after rain) and wonder whether the cleaning would be endless.

LMK...

Old 06-23-2023, 10:35 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Very little in our climate. I blow out the dust and occasional dry leaves in mine maybe once a month with a leafblower (takes 2 minutes) and roughly twice a year I have our housekeeper clean them properly with a mop and some floor cleaning juice. For those who live in wetter/colder climates, it might be a bit more.

They always look great but I also have flake that makes them always look clean.

Last edited by RudyP; 06-23-2023 at 10:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (06-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Garage Renovation Southern California