Sponsored by:

992 SAFARI

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 01:22 PM
cebe
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 139 Posts
Default 992 SAFARI

Looks like this one is really coming ...

Any inside info on the specification?

I am wondering if such a variant will be offered on every market or only in a few selected ones that may see some demand: maybe China, Middle East or Russia...
But then again also the Cayenne looked like a risky bet in 2000 and Porsche just started a trend.

On the other hand, the first presentation on the 959 was at Frankfurt Motor Show in 1983 and a MY 2023 off-road 911 may be a celebration version of some sort.

Cool in a freak kind of way.
The following 2 users liked this post by cebe:
catdog2 (11-09-2022), diss7 (08-14-2022)
Old 11-19-2021, 01:25 PM
cebe
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 139 Posts

The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (11-09-2022)
Old 11-19-2021, 03:05 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by cebe
But then again also the Cayenne looked like a risky bet in 2000 and Porsche just started a trend.
Porsche didn't start the sporty suv - that was the BMW X5. Porsche saw that thing selling like mad, and decided to follow suit. Credit where credit is due.
The following 2 users liked this post by dhirm5:
BadlyDrawnBoy (11-25-2021), Clubber (08-15-2022)
Old 11-19-2021, 03:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,881 Likes on 4,814 Posts

I think this version of the 911, if it comes to the US market, will flop just like the Audi allroad has.
The following 6 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
icanthelpit (01-26-2022), M3Inline6 (04-20-2022), mobilis (11-27-2021), rouxeny (04-19-2022), SBAD (04-19-2022), Wayshegoes (09-21-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-19-2021, 03:14 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by cebe
...a MY 2023 off-road 911 may be a celebration version of some sort.

More like a "money-grab" based on growing popularity started by the Keen safari builds?
ibopm (01-25-2022)
Old 11-19-2021, 03:20 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,741 Likes on 2,888 Posts

On the Spike’s Car Radio podcast, they said that it was just a study and recent sightings could be a movie prop car.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:35 PM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Porsche didn't start the sporty suv - that was the BMW X5. Porsche saw that thing selling like mad, and decided to follow suit. Credit where credit is due.
I'd say Lexus started the trend before BMW. Both the LX and the RX were incredibly popular and years earlier than the X5.

Unfortunately for everyone who has to look at other cars on the road, BMW did create the trend of "coupe" SUVs. Well I guess Pontiac accidentally created that style with the Aztek, but BMW was able to make something that was just slightly less hideous from the exterior and looked nice inside. Pour one out for the Aztek. It was ahead of its time.
The following 2 users liked this post by fractionofawhole:
k-dogg (09-22-2022), SFDCArchitect316 (11-10-2022)
Old 11-19-2021, 03:36 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fractionofawhole
I'd say Lexus started the trend before BMW. Both the LX and the RX were incredibly popular and years earlier than the X5.

Unfortunately for everyone who has to look at other cars on the road, BMW did create the trend of "coupe" SUVs. Well I guess Pontiac accidentally created that style with the Aztek, but BMW was able to make something that was just slightly less hideous from the exterior and looked nice inside. Pour one out for the Aztek. It was ahead of its time.
I don't know anyone who would refer to a Lexus SUV as "sporty". They were luxurious, but not at all Sporty. If I recall correctly, they also were body on frame, unlike X5 which was unibody. Huge difference.
anythingbuttime (04-20-2022)
Old 11-19-2021, 03:59 PM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

I don't know anyone who would refer to a Lexus SUV as "sporty". They were luxurious, but not at all Sporty. If I recall correctly, they also were body on frame, unlike X5 which was unibody. Huge difference.
I guess that's entirely based on your definition of "sporty". The LX was just a Toyota Land Cruiser with a sprinkling of lux trimmings. By pretty much any traditional definition of what puts the Sport in SUV, the LX had it. Now if you're instead talking more about today's almost re-definition of "sport" in this vehicle class and how fast it can get around the ring, then yea sure, it wasn't very sporty in that regard. The RX for sure wasn't as "sporty" as the LX, but it had the lux element nailed down and you'd be silly to think that BMW built the X5 to sell to the tiny market that wants to be able to go camp in the Australian outback as opposed to the massive market that just wants to look like they go camping in the Australian outback while they instead drive to Whole Foods and soccer practice inside their luxury vehicle. The RX was a unibody, not like it matters. Maybe 5 people in all of history have ever asked the dealer salesman what kind of frame their SUV has.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:09 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

I guess that's entirely based on your definition of "sporty". The LX was just a Toyota Land Cruiser with a sprinkling of lux trimmings. By pretty much any traditional definition of what puts the Sport in SUV, the LX had it. Now if you're instead talking more about today's almost re-definition of "sport" in this vehicle class and how fast it can get around the ring, then yea sure, it wasn't very sporty in that regard. The RX for sure wasn't as "sporty" as the LX, but it had the lux element nailed down and you'd be silly to think that BMW built the X5 to sell to the tiny market that wants to be able to go camp in the Australian outback as opposed to the massive market that just wants to look like they go camping in the Australian outback while they instead drive to Whole Foods and soccer practice inside their luxury vehicle. The RX was a unibody, not like it matters. Maybe 5 people in all of history have ever asked the dealer salesman what kind of frame their SUV has.
You're mistaken. X5 was the first "drivers" SUV. That's why it was so successful. Unibody + independent suspension was brand new for the category, and moved the SUV from a boring grocery getter truck to something an enthusiast could opt for when having to trade their sports car for something suited for a family.

I don't know where you're getting Australian outback - that was never X5's intention. It's not terribly competent off road.

rouxeny (04-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2021, 05:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,462 Posts

mobilis (11-27-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 05:53 PM
fractionofawhole
Rennlist Member

You're mistaken. X5 was the first "drivers" SUV. That's why it was so successful. Unibody + independent suspension was brand new for the category, and moved the SUV from a boring grocery getter truck to something an enthusiast could opt for when having to trade their sports car for something suited for a family.

I don't know where you're getting Australian outback - that was never X5's intention. It's not terribly competent off road.
I don't think I'm mistaken so much as you simply seem to have a different definition of what an SUVs purpose is/was and the meaning of "sporty" as it relates to them. You mention the X5 is not terribly competent off-road, but an SUV was meant to be quite competent off-road, at least originally. That's where it derived it's "sportiness" from. You mention that was never the X5s intention and that it's the first "drivers" SUV because it had a unibody + independent suspension. The RX also had that. The RX even had a "sport tuned suspension" option available. As if anyone in the late 90s early 2000s was buying SUVs because they thought themselves a "driver". LOL.

Both vehicles were (mostly still are) the epitome of grocery getters. It's really not until recent years that you can even start to make an argument for a very small handful of SUVs as having entered that "drivers" segment. If an "enthusiast" opted for an X5 over say an E46 wagon at the time, I'd assume their wife made the final decision or that they're not actually an enthusiast.

Anyways, this has gone way off subject at this point.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:33 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

I don't think I'm mistaken so much as you simply seem to have a different definition of what an SUVs purpose is/was and the meaning of "sporty" as it relates to them.
Fair enough. In fact when BMW released it, they tried to coin a new term - SAV - which is just as silly, frankly. For enthusiasts, sport usually means motorsport, racing, etc. Not baseball and soccer, as in mom driving me to practice, which is how they're used today.

With regards to RX, maybe. That was a compact if I'm not mistaken, so doesn't necessarily align, but if driving enthusiasts were buying them, that's news to me.

With regards to driver's segment - I'll have to disagree again. The early X5s with the V8 were legit - esp once the 4.8 came out. They had a substantial, enthusiastic following, and were the early garage mates of 911s, before Cayenne came out.

Anyway - sorry for taking the last word. Feel free to reply again and I won't respond. :P

Last edited by dhirm5; 11-19-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:01 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

2022 Porsche 911 Safari Is in a Class of Its Own - autoevolution

looks like Dakar 992 is coming. Will be interesting
Old 11-25-2021, 11:20 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,741 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I am skeptical that it would be a 2022 considering that people are taking delivery of their 2022 cars now.

Quick Reply: 992 SAFARI