Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

911 Targa vs Ferrari Roma

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 02:30 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Photo from the Ferrari event I was at last year; you can see the Roma neglected next to it's sexier sisters.

Several of the cars were out being driven when I snapped this shot.

Nice picture! But I do not see the point of your comment.

If Porsche is showing GT2, Speedster, GT3RS and Carrera S/GTS, then most people will be looking at the first 3 as well.

However, when vote with their own money, most will buy S and GTS as they are the better daily driver. This is the exact same reason I bought Roma.

Even if I have a choice to the other Ferrari, I will still go for Roma, and will drive it more than park it.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:18 PM
zelement
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
296gtb is open to order but with a loooong list as anything in demand these days.
I agree but 296GTB is far more desirable than the Roma. There is also an ADM and long wait list for a configurable base Carrera.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:19 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Nice picture! But I do not see the point of your comment.
Point was simply that the Roma disappears next to the other models, because it's just not much to look at, to my eyes.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:43 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 797 Posts

Point was simply that the Roma disappears next to the other models, because it's just not much to look at, to my eyes.
^ Perhaps, but when compared to a Targa, I would be looking more at the Roma if they were parked next to eachother.

611 hp, V8, under 3500 lbs. What's not to love?
The following users liked this post:
Targa Tim (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 07:29 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

If I'm in OP's shoes, I'm looking at full open top motoring, and that means either 911 cabrio or the Portofino. Better back seats than the Targa by far, especially for the pups.

Portofino is also drop dead gorgeous, and on looks alone it gets my vote over the P car.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:44 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,633 Likes on 770 Posts

If I'm in OP's shoes, I'm looking at full open top motoring, and that means either 911 cabrio or the Portofino. Better back seats than the Targa by far, especially for the pups.

Portofino is also drop dead gorgeous, and on looks alone it gets my vote over the P car.
I think you are in someone else's shoes, not the OP's. The OP is considering a targa and a coupe, so obviously his shoes are not looking for open top motoring.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:54 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drew46
I think you are in someone else's shoes, not the OP's. The OP is considering a targa and a coupe, so obviously his shoes are not looking for open top motoring.
Read his post. he specifically mentions open top for the dogs. roma is not, targa is, kinda. if indeed he's looking for open top, then cab is the way to go, either P or F.

EDIT: Removed the lol - decided against levity. Your tone stuck with me; IDK why you've decided that subtle sarcasm is the appropriate tone in response to my comment. The fact is, OP is in here asking for internet opinions about the optimal ride between the 911 Targa and the Roma to cruise Europe w his dogs. He expresses an interest in open top. As a dog owner, I know my dog would be v unhappy stuck in that glass bubble if there was open air just a few inches forward. Full convertible is the the most appropriate thing, if top is going to be open at all - in my opinion. Hence my comment.

Last edited by dhirm5; 03-24-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:48 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 724 Posts

Of note, Porto only used.closed book on new ones.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:54 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Of note, Porto only used.closed book on new ones.
Isn’t the M still on offer?
Old 03-24-2022, 08:57 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Isn’t the M still on offer?
No, they got enough orders for their production run.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:05 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
The most entertaining thread in a long time……I can sum this up in photos for you on a more primitive level.

Ferrari.

Porsche.

definitely Porsche , less headache and less maintenance
The following 2 users liked this post by pitt911:
Noah Fect (03-30-2022), Steve 96C4S (03-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 09:05 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
No, they got enough orders for their production run.
Didn’t know - is the Roma not limited?
Old 03-24-2022, 09:22 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Didn’t know - is the Roma not limited?

The Porto M wasn't limited in a sense of numbered. it seems they had a maximum number to be built in a certain amount of time and they got a lot of orders, enough to fill that.

The Roma being newer with the more recent interface and design, it seems it will go a bit longer. Also, it shares parts with the SF90 and upcoming Purosangue. Rumors exist of a Roma Spyder or cab.

Like Seinfeld said, limited to the number they can build.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 10:47 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,633 Likes on 770 Posts

Read his post. he specifically mentions open top for the dogs. roma is not, targa is, kinda. if indeed he's looking for open top, then cab is the way to go, either P or F.

EDIT: Removed the lol - decided against levity. Your tone stuck with me; IDK why you've decided that subtle sarcasm is the appropriate tone in response to my comment. The fact is, OP is in here asking for internet opinions about the optimal ride between the 911 Targa and the Roma to cruise Europe w his dogs. He expresses an interest in open top. As a dog owner, I know my dog would be v unhappy stuck in that glass bubble if there was open air just a few inches forward. Full convertible is the the most appropriate thing, if top is going to be open at all - in my opinion. Hence my comment.
No sarcasm - subtle or otherwise.
You and I must be reading different posts.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:17 PM
pman3
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi guys!
First of all, thank you all for your support and help in this topic. It brought tons of important info to the table and it made the decision making process way easier.

I took Roma for a test drive today and I have to tell you, that I was deeply disappointed. Maybe I had too high expectations, but the test was so bad, that I'm not even considering Roma anymore and staying with my beloved Targa. Just to sum this up:
  • Roma has a nicer interior than 911, I really love it.
  • The steering wheel in Roma is the best thing since sliced bread. Seriously.
  • Unlike in 911, the headroom in Roma is bad. With the chair in the lowest position, my hair was constantly touching the roof (I'm 2m heigh, which translates to 6'56).
  • I experienced one of the most bizzare moments when I was unable to switch my foot from the gas pedal to the break pedal because ... I have too big feet and the height of the place where the pedals are is too small for my feet to rotate. So I needed to keep my heel close to my body and touch the pedals with my toes only. I have never ever seen anything like that in any car.
  • Manual gear shifting is slow, way, way slower than in 911. In 911 you press the shifter and its immediate. Here you wait 1-2 seconds sometimes. It's not a big deal, but the difference is drastic.
  • The same applies to how immediate the gas pedal works. In 911 after pressing the acceleration, it immediately downshifts and you feel the car accelerating pretty fast after doing that. Sure, there is some delay, but the delay is way smaller than in Roma.
  • The engine sound in the cabin is even louder than in 911 GTS, which is a surprise to me, as Roma is advertised as a GT car.
  • The room in the backseat is way smaller than in 911 (wow ), its probably too small for my dogs.
  • The entertainment system is a catastrophe. It hang 3 times during the test drive (I was unable to wake it up to change settings, the dealer representative that was with me was unable too) and it's really funny to see that when you are accelerating, the tachometer changes in a .... laggy way. It's not very laggy, but you can see it. The screen in the middle of the car is bad as well. It's not responsive and its quality and brightness is way worse than the main console, so even in a not very sunny day, you can't really see things there.
Basically, if I had a test drive with Roma before creating this topic, I would never have created it.

Last edited by pman3; 03-29-2022 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 911 Targa vs Ferrari Roma