911 Targa vs Ferrari Roma

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 06:21 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,549 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by pman3
Hi guys!
First of all, thank you all for your support and help in this topic. It brought tons of important info to the table and it made the decision making process way easier.
Basically, if I had a test drive with Roma before creating this topic, I would never have created it.
that's basically every thread here, so you're in good company
The following users liked this post:
PHX (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:43 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,200 Likes on 604 Posts

Hi guys!
First of all, thank you all for your support and help in this topic. It brought tons of important info to the table and it made the decision making process way easier.

I took Roma for a test drive today and I have to tell you, that I was deeply disappointed. Maybe I had too high expectations, but the test was so bad, that I'm not even considering Roma anymore and staying with my beloved Targa. Just to sum this up:
  • Roma has a nicer interior than 911, I really love it.
  • The steering wheel in Roma is the best thing since sliced bread. Seriously.
  • Unlike in 911, the headroom in Roma is bad. With the chair in the lowest position, my hair was constantly touching the roof (I'm 2m heigh, which translates to 6'56).
  • I experienced one of the most bizzare moments when I was unable to switch my foot from the gas pedal to the break pedal because ... I have too big feet and the height of the place where the pedals are is too small for my feet to rotate. So I needed to keep my heel close to my body and touch the pedals with my toes only. I have never ever seen anything like that in any car.
  • Manual gear shifting is slow, way, way slower than in 911. In 911 you press the shifter and its immediate. Here you wait 1-2 seconds sometimes. It's not a big deal, but the difference is drastic.
  • The same applies to how immediate the gas pedal works. In 911 after pressing the acceleration, it immediately downshifts and you feel the car accelerating pretty fast after doing that. Sure, there is some delay, but the delay is way smaller than in Roma.
  • The engine sound in the cabin is even louder than in 911 GTS, which is a surprise to me, as Roma is advertised as a GT car.
  • The room in the backseat is way smaller than in 911 (wow ), its probably too small for my dogs.
  • The entertainment system is a catastrophe. It hang 3 times during the test drive (I was unable to wake it up to change settings, the dealer representative that was with me was unable too) and it's really funny to see that when you are accelerating, the tachometer changes in a .... laggy way. It's not very laggy, but you can see it. The screen in the middle of the car is bad as well. It's not responsive and its quality and brightness is way worse than the main console, so even in a not very sunny day, you can't really see things there.
Basically, if I had a test drive with Roma before creating this topic, I would never have created it.
thats super interesting... for those of us that are a bit more vertically challenged some of that wouldn't be an issue. The laggy shifting and throttle response I would assume can be changed somehow? Does the car have different modes? Seems very strange to me as I know others who have driven it and haven't had that same complaint... The infotainment system feedback is super disappointing.... especially because it seems to be so consistently bad for everybody that touches it. WWWAAAAAYYYYY too expensive of a car to have a system that seems to just completely suck.
pman3 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 10:58 PM
pman3
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Regarding the gear shifting speed – I was in the sport mode. However, my message could sound worse than it really is. The shift speed is fast, faster than in non dual-clutch cars, but there is a huge difference between what I've seen in Roma and how it works in 911. The infotainment system feedback is super disappointing indeed. I was also describing above some interesting issues with it that people are complaining about on Ferrari forum – Roma recently received update which ... removes some functionalities completely. For example, it is impossible to maximise a view on the digital cluster anymore (after the update the button "view max" is not glowing anymore and new cars do not have this button at all). Also, the passenger display is not able to display navigation anymore. Basically, for such a pricy car that is advertised to be GT one, this infotainment system is a joke. Btw, I love the response of the dealer to my complain He told me "most clients setup it once and don't change settings when driving the car, so it's not a big issue"
Old 03-30-2022, 01:49 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi pman3,
I have predicted that 911 will suit your driving needs better.
I agree with most of your points. The infotainment system is a total failure.
It has not gone blank on us yet since the software update, but bluetooth connection has dropped a few times.
I can still get MSRP if I trade Roma back to dealer now, but I don't have anything that I want from them.
Will drive a bit more this summer and see what happen.
At least I got Ferrari off my bucket list now. You will be next in the future.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:02 AM
Il CP
Pro

Received 505 Likes on 212 Posts

This is obviously a Porsche forum, but let me adress this from the point of view of a multiple Ferrari and Porsche owners perspective.

Maintenance. Virtually none. You get 7 years free. And looking at how you will be driving the car, brake pads will last for ever. Tyres are the same, so a moot point.

Reliability. Same. I've been daily driving Ferraris for a long time, and it is not the nightmare some seem to think. Just as few issues with this as with Porsches. With the modern cars.

Quality control. At this stage, I don't think Porsche is any better. Door rattles and what not. A 992 definitely does not have the feel of a 993 in terms of build quality. I think Ferrari uses better and nicer materials too. This will be especially true if you go for a semi-aniline interior.

Sticky buttons. A thing of the past. Yes it is a thinkg in older models, including the first gen DCT cars. But the current crop of modern Ferraris have solved many of these issues, icluding leather shrinkage. Can I also point something else out? Use a leather care product once or twice per year. Any leather can have issues if not treated with something.

Driving. Go drive them.

Winter driving. Get a set of winter tyres for the winter. The Roma will drive where the 992 will drive.

Reality is that all the practical stuff is a no-issue. What you need is to figure out which one you like to drive the most and which one you like to look at the most.
Go Bruins (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 11:15 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts

Is a manual transmission important and does the Roma have a manual transmission option?

Jason
Old 03-30-2022, 11:43 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,606 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by BOPE
Is a manual transmission important and does the Roma have a manual transmission option?

Jason
No new ferraris have a MT option. The 458 was the last manual F car you could buy. Same goes for Lamborghini.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,881 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
No new ferraris have a MT option. The 458 was the last manual F car you could buy. Same goes for Lamborghini.
No manual in a 458. DCT only
Old 03-30-2022, 01:28 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,606 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No manual in a 458. DCT only
Sorry that is correct, the 430 was the last, 458 was the first that only offered DCT.

I had a 430 Spider in Manual, knowing the prices now of those - wish I would have kept it!
Old 03-30-2022, 02:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi guys!

I took Roma for a test drive today and I have to tell you, that I was deeply disappointed. Maybe I had too high expectations, but the test was so bad, that I'm not even considering Roma anymore and staying with my beloved Targa. Just to sum this up:
  • Roma has a nicer interior than 911, I really love it.
  • The steering wheel in Roma is the best thing since sliced bread. Seriously.
  • Unlike in 911, the headroom in Roma is bad. With the chair in the lowest position, my hair was constantly touching the roof (I'm 2m heigh, which translates to 6'56).
  • I experienced one of the most bizzare moments when I was unable to switch my foot from the gas pedal to the break pedal because ... I have too big feet and the height of the place where the pedals are is too small for my feet to rotate. So I needed to keep my heel close to my body and touch the pedals with my toes only. I have never ever seen anything like that in any car.
  • Manual gear shifting is slow, way, way slower than in 911. In 911 you press the shifter and its immediate. Here you wait 1-2 seconds sometimes. It's not a big deal, but the difference is drastic.
  • The same applies to how immediate the gas pedal works. In 911 after pressing the acceleration, it immediately downshifts and you feel the car accelerating pretty fast after doing that. Sure, there is some delay, but the delay is way smaller than in Roma.
  • The engine sound in the cabin is even louder than in 911 GTS, which is a surprise to me, as Roma is advertised as a GT car.
  • The room in the backseat is way smaller than in 911 (wow ), its probably too small for my dogs.
  • The entertainment system is a catastrophe. It hang 3 times during the test drive (I was unable to wake it up to change settings, the dealer representative that was with me was unable too) and it's really funny to see that when you are accelerating, the tachometer changes in a .... laggy way. It's not very laggy, but you can see it. The screen in the middle of the car is bad as well. It's not responsive and its quality and brightness is way worse than the main console, so even in a not very sunny day, you can't really see things there.
One of the most underrated features of the 911 is in the interior cabin room and space, as well as almost unparalleled visibility.

I've said this before, and will say it again here, the sound of the flat-6 in the 911 has never sounded good to me and is one of the most overrated features of the 911. Now, a GT3/RS at 9k is a different animal all together, but then a GT3/RS really isn't a 911, technically speaking.

Manual shifting the DCT in the Roma takes 1-2 seconds? That can't be right. Either your test car was broken or there was space-time continuum hiccup when you were shifting cuz that just doesn't sound right.

And, yes, the back seats in the Roma is even more useless than those in the 911, which in the grand scheme of things is quite an achievement given that the 911 back seats are bordering on near uselessness.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:04 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,200 Likes on 604 Posts

As I wait and wait for a targa allocation I’m getting more serious about the Roma. Keep seeing them around and they really are stunning (and not super in-your-face). I think it’s one of the best looking GT cars in the road today. Need to find one to test drive and see if I end up equally disappointed like OP
Old 06-12-2022, 08:54 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,883 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Not sure where you are located, but Ferrari of Washington (DC) has a Roma for test drives. it’s a REALLY nice car, I did 20 minutes in one and it may be the finest car I have ever driven. End of the day, it wasn’t worth another $ 120K over my 992 S Cab to me and we have this Personal Proptery Tax in Virginia that would also add on another $ 5 K in taxes over a 992 every year as well. It was strictly money in the end.

But if you have the coin, you’ll probably love it.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If anyone is interested in a Roma, better order one soon as orders are limited and may be closed soon, if not already.

Old 06-12-2022, 04:52 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

What's with the bumped Ferrari vs. Porsche threads? Of course, on a Porsche forum you're gonna get way more votes for a Porsche. I'll add to that tally. I've owned 2 Ferraris and 6 Porsches. I _loved_ the Ferraris, but I love my current Porsche more. They were both relatively modern (a 2014 F12 berlinetta and a 2019 812 superfast) and neither gave me any trouble other than needing to put a fresh battery in the F12). The thing I disliked was how much attention Ferraris get when you park them somewhere public or even just stop to fuel up. I was always pleasant and respectful to people who approached me (because, hey, they must be car people too) but it did become tiresome. My 911 usually flies under the radar. Just a couple months ago I sold my 812 SF (back to Ferrari) for more than I paid for it (because the market is crazy - and the prices are still not quite right if you're looking to buy). I haven't driven the Roma (despite the fact that the dealer really wants me to do so) but there's something to be said for a car like that with a normal trunk - on road trips my F12 and 812 both swallowed luggage handily. I also went in person to see the 296GTB unveiled at my local dealership and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it sounded when they fired it up. That's the car that will really compete with the next 911 (if it's a hybrid), but for now I'm completely happy with my 911.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:00 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I've never owned (nor likely will I) a Ferrari though I've followed them and been an admirer of it's sleek lines, incredible lineage and racing history. The one and only item (assuming I had the cash and inclination living where I do) that would prevent me from buying one is that you can't work (extensively) on it yourself.

The day I can't do that I hang it up. To me THAT is part of the enjoyment, personalizing it, modifying it to my taste to make it a unique creation and of course not least is driving it. Having grown up across a garage and having spent most of my early years there (much to my parents' regret) it's part of me. To relinquish that is not something I'm interested in whatever the (exotic) brand.

siberian
Bluehighways (09-15-2022)

Quick Reply: 911 Targa vs Ferrari Roma