Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

911 Targa vs Ferrari Roma

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 03:01 AM
pman3
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 911 Targa vs Ferrari Roma

Hi guys, I would be very thankful if you help me decide on this topic.

I love both of these cars (I am considering only these 2 models) and I have a very specific needs:
  1. Reliability is important.
    This will be my daily driving car. I'm not driving much, I'll be doing up to 10k km annually. I will be driving across Europe, including in snow and not perfect road conditions, sometimes leaving the car outside in a heavy snow.
  2. No racing needs, but fun of driving is crucial.
    I will not use the car for racing. I will be cruising with my girlfriend and my dogs (will fit in the backseats) mainly around Europe. That's why I'm considering Targa, not Carrera – driving without the roof can sometimes increase the pleasure of driving. I love that Roma has all the controls on the steering wheel – it looks like a way better solution than 911 one (at least to me).
  3. Safety systems and quality of handling are extremely important.
    911 seems to have more safety systems (including those improving driving experience), including 4 wheel drive, matrix headlight, rear steering axle, and maybe more. TBH, I was not able to find exact info what systems Roma has.
  4. Maintenance costs are important.
    I can afford maintenance of the cars, but if it's kept in a sane territory (911 is still sane to me). I've heard a lot bad things about maintenance costs of old Ferraris, but the new ones seem to catch up, providing the first 7 years service for free (but only 3 years guarantee). But these are just info I've heard, there is a lot of contradictory information across the web.
  5. Modern equipment is important.
    Digital cluster and modern entertainment systems (with a good sound quality) are a must have to me. I love the 911 styling (minimalistic and modern) and how smooth it works. I dislike Roma's look of the GUI and how laggy it is. But maybe you can get used to that, I don't know.
  6. Practicality is important.
    Roma has way bigger trunk than 911. I think this is the only practicality difference here.

Beside these logical points, I just like interior and exterior styling of Roma better than 911, but I don't want to make it the deciding factor. I would be very, very thankful, if someone who has experience with both brands would shed a little bit more light on these topics described above. Thank you!

Popular Reply

03-19-2022, 08:50 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,608 Likes on 725 Posts

I have had F-cars over the last 20 years or so. I have also had porsches for just a bit longer. My last Ferrari was the F12 (sold 2 years ago), but before that the 458, 360, 355 and a 250 gte.

My points to you:

1.) Ferrari is a great brand of course, but if you do have issues past warranty - it can be eye watering. My last 2 modern F-cars had several problems just out of warranty (meaning just weeks) that resulted in repairs around 30K (each). I bought and spec'd the cars new, didn't abuse them, etc. Both were electrical in nature. My last F12 had a radio problem (nothing bad) but the display would work intermittently. But because the whole display was integrated (NAV, Radio, etc.) that replacement was 10K. The turn signals stopped working. That was also an integrated part (as part of the steering wheel (instead of a simple switch) that was 3K to replace. The list goes on, but my last two were the least reliable F-cars I owned, even some of the older models. I would not expect a car that is just 3-4 years old (with only 8K miles) to have so many issues. The 7 year maintenance is a novel idea, but only 3 year warranty. Really what they are building into the price is oil changes for 7 years. And trust me, every year past the 3 year warranty. You will need to set aside dollars, as there will be some issues.

2.) Outside the repair costs which were a little ridiculous and multiple - the repair time was also long. Many times each part needed to be ordered, shipped, etc. from Italy. (this was even before covid) - most replacement parts/time was over a month in some cases. My F-cars were not my DD, so not that big of deal but something to consider as down time compared to Porsche was high. (with covid/supply chain issues this is also a likely problem with any car - from a downtime perspective)

3.) I have several porsche dealers/service centers and independents in my area. The Ferrari network is much more limited. You will have much more options with Porsche short and longer term from a dealer and service network.

Due to these things I went with a different route and decided to try another fun car along with my 911's, and I may never go back to Ferrari. I do like the new 296 looks wise and tech (even with the 6 cylinder hybrid). The Roma is a nice car, has some decent tech - probably a little behind Porsche, but Porsche is not leading edge either (but the 992 is much better than my 991s). Performance wise, I think the porsche 992 GTS would be on par with the roma if not a little better.

I would say if maintenance and reliability are a few top things for you. I would, without hesitation, say Porsche is by far your best option. With any lower production exotic, you will not have the reliability of what Porsche has to offer, but they also make 1000's more than any Ferrari so that should be expected.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:15 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,744 Likes on 2,889 Posts

You’ll be waiting a long time for either as both are in exceedingly high demand.

These are cars that deliver distinct experiences and very different price points rolling off of the lot. Ignore the MSRP here as the difference is more substantial than the MSRP suggests. The Ferrari option sheet pricing is in a different league/tier than anything offered by Porsche.

If you can afford a properly spec’d Roma, get both cars. Problem solved. Seriously. If you can’t afford both cars, get the Porsche, because you’re not in new Ferrari money yet.
The following 5 users liked this post by detansinn:
AlexCeres (03-20-2022), d-- (06-13-2022), KLOC (03-20-2022), Marcha (09-15-2022), pman3 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 06:54 AM
pman3
Instructor

Thank you so much for the response! Regarding the price point – this is an interesting topic. The price for my Targa GTS (shorter waiting list for it) is approx $230k. And yes, I need to wait a year for it. I can buy 1-year old OK spec'd Roma without waiting for it for the same amount of money: https://www.autoscout24.com/lst/ferrari/roma .
Old 03-19-2022, 08:37 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 540 Posts

some of your concerns like maintenance , and reliability depend on one factor . If you keep the car beyond factory warranty. Otherwise that should not be a concern as costly problems should be covered under warranty and maintenance for modern cars the first few years should not be super expensive
but if you keep beyond warranty , It is fair to assume that Roma will cost more
your other concerns can be only solved by testing these cars and judge for your self
The following users liked this post:
pman3 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 08:50 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,608 Likes on 725 Posts

I have had F-cars over the last 20 years or so. I have also had porsches for just a bit longer. My last Ferrari was the F12 (sold 2 years ago), but before that the 458, 360, 355 and a 250 gte.

My points to you:

1.) Ferrari is a great brand of course, but if you do have issues past warranty - it can be eye watering. My last 2 modern F-cars had several problems just out of warranty (meaning just weeks) that resulted in repairs around 30K (each). I bought and spec'd the cars new, didn't abuse them, etc. Both were electrical in nature. My last F12 had a radio problem (nothing bad) but the display would work intermittently. But because the whole display was integrated (NAV, Radio, etc.) that replacement was 10K. The turn signals stopped working. That was also an integrated part (as part of the steering wheel (instead of a simple switch) that was 3K to replace. The list goes on, but my last two were the least reliable F-cars I owned, even some of the older models. I would not expect a car that is just 3-4 years old (with only 8K miles) to have so many issues. The 7 year maintenance is a novel idea, but only 3 year warranty. Really what they are building into the price is oil changes for 7 years. And trust me, every year past the 3 year warranty. You will need to set aside dollars, as there will be some issues.

2.) Outside the repair costs which were a little ridiculous and multiple - the repair time was also long. Many times each part needed to be ordered, shipped, etc. from Italy. (this was even before covid) - most replacement parts/time was over a month in some cases. My F-cars were not my DD, so not that big of deal but something to consider as down time compared to Porsche was high. (with covid/supply chain issues this is also a likely problem with any car - from a downtime perspective)

3.) I have several porsche dealers/service centers and independents in my area. The Ferrari network is much more limited. You will have much more options with Porsche short and longer term from a dealer and service network.

Due to these things I went with a different route and decided to try another fun car along with my 911's, and I may never go back to Ferrari. I do like the new 296 looks wise and tech (even with the 6 cylinder hybrid). The Roma is a nice car, has some decent tech - probably a little behind Porsche, but Porsche is not leading edge either (but the 992 is much better than my 991s). Performance wise, I think the porsche 992 GTS would be on par with the roma if not a little better.

I would say if maintenance and reliability are a few top things for you. I would, without hesitation, say Porsche is by far your best option. With any lower production exotic, you will not have the reliability of what Porsche has to offer, but they also make 1000's more than any Ferrari so that should be expected.

Last edited by Richard_Wallace; 03-19-2022 at 08:52 AM.
The following 21 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
aggie57 (03-20-2022), BKAT (03-19-2022), Bluehighways (03-21-2022), Cokerrat (03-20-2022), detansinn (03-19-2022), DrewTJ50 (03-19-2022), erikwevans (03-19-2022), German1967 (03-19-2022), Go Bruins (03-19-2022), Kurac (03-20-2022), mobilis (03-19-2022), Noah Fect (03-21-2022), phila12180 (03-21-2022), pman3 (03-20-2022), porshuh (03-20-2022), r00t61 (03-20-2022), russbert (03-19-2022), shrimp money (03-19-2022), Swayze (03-20-2022), T3X4S (03-23-2022), WhitBroo (03-19-2022) and 16 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-19-2022, 08:50 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,633 Likes on 770 Posts

Based on you usage case, it seems you really need AWD and that eliminates the Roma. As much as I love the Targa GTS, if I didn’t need/want AWD, the Roma would be the choice.
Staffie Guy (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 11:14 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,881 Likes on 4,814 Posts

I have no answer for you.

But will say that every car enthusiast should own a Ferrari at least once in their lifetime.
The following 7 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (03-20-2022), mobilis (03-19-2022), Noah Fect (03-21-2022), Overdraft (03-20-2022), pman3 (03-20-2022), shrimp money (03-19-2022), tez2013 (03-24-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-19-2022, 12:26 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,883 Likes on 1,361 Posts

These are not really comparable cars. When you buy Ferrari, you are buying into the entire Ferrari ecosystem - which means you are willing to tolerate many more QC issues like leather that lifts, sticky buttons, seat backs that don't return, funky electrics - minor but annoying things. Higher costs for everything, a relationship with the dealer that you are EXCPECTED to maintain. Show up at the dealer with a Costco battery in a Roma and they may refuse to work on the car until you put the Ferrari-approved battery in the car @ $ 800. That sort of thing. Parts are not readily available, you can wait months on them. Insurance is likely to be specialty as well. Many mainstream insurance companies will not carry policies on high dollar exotics. Mileage is death to Ferrari resale values. Very difficult to resell without giving it back to the dealer either on consignment or sell back.

Porsche is like a Toyota. Very reliable, everything just works. You do not need that dealer relationship unless you choose to have it. Parts are plentiful and many warehoused in the USA. Most companies will insure them. Easy resale compared to Ferrari.

Performance-wise, they are very similar. There is a certain panache with Ferrari you will not get with Porsche. End of the day, which makes you happier? This is an emotional buy, so that's all that really matters. If you are doing in on merits though, Porsche has the clear advantage (Which is why there are no Ferraris in my garage).
The following 9 users liked this post by drcollie:
d-- (06-13-2022), Dan Nagy (04-25-2022), Go Bruins (03-19-2022), Kurac (03-20-2022), La Carrera (03-21-2022), M3Inline6 (03-20-2022), pman3 (03-20-2022), Staffie Guy (03-19-2022), Tedster (03-30-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-19-2022, 01:36 PM
pman3
Instructor

@Richard_Wallace I can't thank you enough for the detailed response. It is amazing and provides so much information I was looking for, thank you hundred times!
1. This is terrible, I'm feeling sorry that you had to go trough it. Just a fast follow-up question – what do you think about the extended Ferrari guarantee? The modern cars can have 5 years guarantee on everything + 15 years "Power15" guarantee on the most important mechanical parts (which would probably not cover the radio/nav issues though).
2. This is a serious issue indeed. And it is not going to change anytime soon.
3. That's very valid point, but its not hurting me much now, as I have 2 Ferrari dealers close to the place I live. But yeah, this can hurt long-term if I'd be moving around.

@Drew46 you know, AWD is not must have for me, really. I'm driving RWD BMWs for the last 12 years and I'm kind of used to it already

@drcollie I don't understand that why people are not expecting more reliability from such pricy cars. I was browsing various Ferrari forums today and to my surprise, people write there sometimes that they cars are "really reliable because nothing broke during last 10k miles". I made 80k miles in my current BMW for the last 8 years and nothing ever broke. Nothing! Not a single failure during that time. The price of this BMW is not even comparable to Ferrari (of course, it's "class" is not comparable neither, but now I'm starting redefining what the "class" really means ...). On this forum, however, every single reliability issue with 911 is raised as something unacceptable – and I think it's very fair approach, as these are pricy machines. I know that I might be looking at the whole topic from a wrong angle, but ... Roma is advertised as the GT car, meant to be a daily driver one.

Old 03-19-2022, 01:44 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 724 Posts

I don't think porsche has a product now that competes with the fit and finish of Ferraris. The Roma drives more like a sports car than GT, although it has a great deal of the latter. The magnetic dampers are phenomenal. The noise and gear changing makes the car fun at any speed. No markup games, just honest long wait and depreciation of any trade in you might have. VW dealers are an difficult to predict. 3 year warranty (extendable) and 7 year maintenance are not by chance, that kept the depreciation at bay.

If you don't intend to track and keep the CF at bay, you can get a decently optioned Roma for 245 ( no historic colors, no CF). That would be a ballpark for a car with CF/LED steering, rear seat split, F-shields, ADAS package. Between that and TTS I would not hesitate choosing the Roma. I track my cars, and like convertibles so I'm still hesitant ordering a Roma, although some do track it with relative ease (Porto orders closed about a month ago). One thing Porsche has for them is perception, which is very relative. Perhaps related to how much they look alike, driving a 911 doesn't call that much attention compared to a Ferrari, even a subdued design like the Roma. If you don't care for that as well, even better.
Also, if you ignore the rear seats of the Roma (anyone taller than 1.5m won't fit there-no headroom, not so much legroom), and consider it a 2 seater, other options are quite competitive. The targa rear seats are not as useful as well, look into the autogeful review. There's a thread on the GT3 section with the other options.
Also, if you consider the targa a 2 seater for your use, I would check a Boxster GTS 4.0.
pman3 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 06:04 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 4,495 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Based on what you plan on doing, and conditions, I’d pick the Targa AWD.

Once your done with this phase of adventure, go to an F car.
Stoney901 (06-12-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 01:29 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,549 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
You’ll be waiting a long time for either as both are in exceedingly high demand.

These are cars that deliver distinct experiences and very different price points rolling off of the lot. Ignore the MSRP here as the difference is more substantial than the MSRP suggests. The Ferrari option sheet pricing is in a different league/tier than anything offered by Porsche.

If you can afford a properly spec’d Roma, get both cars. Problem solved. Seriously. If you can’t afford both cars, get the Porsche, because you’re not in new Ferrari money yet.
+1. The Roma is upgrading from a TTS. The targa … is just a different type of sports car.
Old 03-20-2022, 03:01 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

I always have 911 in my garage since 1996, tracked in many of them, and currently have 3.
Bought new Roma last fall, mainly to check it off my bucket list. Only has about 2000km on it now.
Roma is a very fast straight line car, much faster than all of my current 911s. For straight line, Roma definitely faster than new Targa.
Roma is a very comfortable GT car for city use. As you said, the bigger rear trunk is a bonus for grocery shopping.
Sitting in, and driving the Roma, is more of an event than driving a 911. The interior is just "nicer".
Steering wheel is nice to hold, with useful controls embedded in it, especially the turn signals - a clever design, and volume control **** at the back of steering wheel.
However, the central ipad like screen is a problem. It went blank a few times, and sometimes bluetooth won't automatically connect. Just took it into dealership for softwares update. Let's see how it works now.
Having said all these, if for long trips to unknown places, I would rather take a 911 any day. Low key look, reliable, nimble performance (Roma turn in is bigger than 911).

Both are amazing sport cars and you will not go wrong with either. Happy motoring.
The following 10 users liked this post by Targa Tim:
AlexCeres (03-20-2022), famous shoes (03-20-2022), Go Bruins (03-20-2022), La Carrera (03-21-2022), Manda Racing (03-21-2022), mikey94025 (03-20-2022), pman3 (03-20-2022), Rubystar (03-16-2024), Swayze (03-20-2022), tourenwagen (03-22-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-20-2022, 06:53 AM
RSUV
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

I have just taken delivery of Targa GTS and am also a serial Ferrari owner. My Ferrari experience has been excellent, one of our cars is a Speciale which we have owned from new and is 7 years old now. No issues with the car over 14k miles. Had around 10 of them in last 10 years. Since the DCT gearbox Ferrari build is far better - 360 and 430 were by far the most expensive to own.

We also have a number of 911s and I bought the GTS as a daily. It’s a great car but in driving terms not a Ferrari or Porsche GT product. Here are the real issues; if driving is the only thing that is important, go Roma. Ferrari power train and chassis dynamics are brilliant, plus there’s the Ferrari thing which, if you haven’t tried, is pretty fantastic. If you ever go anywhere where you might feel driving a Ferrari is a bit much, take the Porsche. That’s really the main issue. A Porsche 911 is rather ubiquitous unless it has a wing. They attract far less attention. A Ferrari is almost always noticed. If that will bother you in a daily-type car, it becomes a problem.

A Roma has servicing covered, and if you’re worried about warranty expiry, you can always extend it. I have never bothered because my experience has been good and I know many other Ferrari owners with similar experience to mine.
pman3 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 07:12 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 880 Likes on 365 Posts

My last F car was 458 italia...had for 2 years and 4000 miles with no issues.

I am more of a porsche guy have 992GT3 and 992s cab.

That said, agree with earlier post you must try the Ferrari experience one time.
The following 2 users liked this post by richk:
Manda Racing (03-21-2022), pman3 (03-20-2022)

Quick Reply: 911 Targa vs Ferrari Roma