Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport mode hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 11:36 AM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 798 Posts

From your description it sounds like lugging - you’re in too high a gear at low rpm.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 11:41 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
From your description it sounds like lugging - you’re in too high a gear at low rpm.
I know what lugging is but this is just normal cruising below 3000RPM and in auto-mode with PDK. Same when cruising at higher speeds but same RPM on Highway and let the PDK decide what gear it wants to be in.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:50 AM
zachr
Pro

Received 694 Likes on 301 Posts

I suspect this is because in Normal mode, the PDK is not very aggressive with keeping the clutch engaged. If you're teetering on the brink of holding the right amount of torque to drive at a medium speed, the sensation you're describing is the clutch remaining engaged while the engine transitions from powering forward to engine braking. In normal mode, the clutch is used more actively to dull the effects of engine braking for a more comfortable ride. In sport and sport plus, the clutch remains fully engaged and the transition between power and engine braking is less subtle.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:57 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zachr
I suspect this is because in Normal mode, the PDK is not very aggressive with keeping the clutch engaged. If you're teetering on the brink of holding the right amount of torque to drive at a medium speed, the sensation you're describing is the clutch remaining engaged while the engine transitions from powering forward to engine braking. In normal mode, the clutch is used more actively to dull the effects of engine braking for a more comfortable ride. In sport and sport plus, the clutch remains fully engaged and the transition between power and engine braking is less subtle.
That sounds very plausible. Would you expect that also happen when accelerating moderately in sport mode not just cruising at low RPM?
Old 07-11-2022, 12:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,860 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Have you ever driven a PDK? In any generation of 911’s?

If you have, have you driven another 992 911 PDK? And does it do the same thing?
detansinn (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 12:43 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

If you have, have you driven another 992 911 PDK? And does it do the same thing?
I only have experience with 992's. I did test drive a few before buying the one I have now. But to be honest, during test drive I was not paying too much attention to what happens at cruising RPM or slow acceleration. So, can't tell but certainly don't recall any of it.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:04 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,738 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I would even add dual clutch car to that question list. A PDK is not going to be as smooth and buttery as a torque converter transmission -- it's got some character.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:26 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 619 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I was searching but could not find an answer yet. I have a base and when cruising at low rpm in sport mode the car seems to not run entirely smooth and “wobble/hesitate” a little. It’s not terrible but In comfort made it’s not there and is entirely smooth. Once I push a little higher in RPM it goes away. No other vibration or issues I can tell. Just feels a little weird and I try to avoid that low RPM range now when cruising and when in sport mode Anybody else observed something like that? I had a tech driving it and he did not think it’s anything unusual but I don’t have other 992’s to compare it with.
PDK is not an automatic transmission. It is an auto manual transmission. In normal mode Porsche tames is down the shift points and aggressiveness of the map. In other models like the Panamera or Macan the entire drive is more tame. However the 911 is aimed at sport and performance. With that in mind sport mode will be more aggressive and thus a little more choppy than normal. Most of the abruptness is felt in that lower gear downshift and that is because it retains the eagerness for “Sport” mode. Sport plus will be equally as choppy if not more but maintain the higher revs longer aiming for the most aggressive map. It simply takes a little adjusting. Comparing to other 911 before it the The 997 was so choppy that I had to shift in manual mode. Then I 91 the two was the smoothest of the three even in sport mode but I need to be a little more prepped for sport. Now that I have the 992 I think they got it just right. Even got normal mode just right. In the past normal mode was beyond boring. Give it time and you will find yourself adapting and you will also find the car computer learning your style.
Acken (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 04:09 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yrralis1
PDK is not an automatic transmission. It is an auto manual transmission. In normal mode Porsche tames is down the shift points and aggressiveness of the map. In other models like the Panamera or Macan the entire drive is more tame. However the 911 is aimed at sport and performance. With that in mind sport mode will be more aggressive and thus a little more choppy than normal. Most of the abruptness is felt in that lower gear downshift and that is because it retains the eagerness for “Sport” mode. Sport plus will be equally as choppy if not more but maintain the higher revs longer aiming for the most aggressive map. It simply takes a little adjusting. Comparing to other 911 before it the The 997 was so choppy that I had to shift in manual mode. Then I 91 the two was the smoothest of the three even in sport mode but I need to be a little more prepped for sport. Now that I have the 992 I think they got it just right. Even got normal mode just right. In the past normal mode was beyond boring. Give it time and you will find yourself adapting and you will also find the car computer learning your style.
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I don't have much to compare with in terms of PDK. Maybe I am also not clear what I describe. I don't mind a little choppiness when shifting and acceleration - entirely fine and I expect that. But what I observe is if I simply cruise - constant speed at constant RPM - in sport mode < 2800 the entire car wobbles/vibrates a little constantly. I can even see my passenger seat back vibrating a little. Like I said before, feels like driving over a cobblestone street but not as bad. Its not the tires or alignment as its not there at same speed in normal mode, no steering vibration or steering pull....just "car wobble". Is that what you experience as well or would expect?
Old 07-11-2022, 05:04 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 279 Posts

I am trying to recall... don't the engine mount characteristics change in sport/sport plus mode? Another thought is that maybe the car is chomping at the bit (so to speak) in sport model - like "I'm ready to roll put on the power."
Old 07-11-2022, 05:14 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by breny4104
I am trying to recall... don't the engine mount characteristics change in sport/sport plus mode? Another thought is that maybe the car is chomping at the bit (so to speak) in sport model - like "I'm ready to roll put on the power."
Dynamic engine mounts certainly come to my mind but did not want to speculate. It's certainly feels it wants to go and I hold it back ;-) ..therefore I mostly recognize it when cruising with my wife on board. :-)
breny4104 (07-11-2022)
Old 10-29-2023, 06:40 AM
99-911
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
I second that thought.
possibly PADM are about to go, they are supposed to stiffen up in sport mode while maintaining the appropriate dampening but apparently they are not which you feel as a wobble.
I hope your car is CPO so they will be covered under warranty.
Old 10-29-2023, 05:41 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Have the same issue was told is the pdk "virtual gears", when you're low rpm with small throttle inputs it sometimes hesitates / slips. Hate it
Old 10-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't think this issue is related to PDK as I have something similar in my 7MT car. I notice it round 2800 RPM during low/partial throttle acceleration. I assumed this was engine related, not transmission. I notice mostly when I'm in 1st and 2nd gears in traffic. I haven't put much effort into paying attention to drive mode (engine mount characteristics) or how warm the engine etc. I thought I read in another post that someone experienced or was expecting to experience this hiccup being fixed with their engine tune.

Quick Reply: Sport mode hesitation