Sponsored by:

Self melting windshield moulding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 08:17 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,366 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
Sorry to hear bro! I’m in the same situation with my 24’ T and the LWG recall. You’d think it was the first time Porsche ever sourced and vetted glass suppliers. The world is not functioning correctly.
Yeah, it’s crazy to still be dealing with both of these issues. The LWG was an issue even when I ordered my car in April of 2021. Sorry to hear you’re dealing with issues. Is your molding melting and did you schedule an appointment with the dealership?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 03-28-2024 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:02 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Yeah, it’s crazy to still be dealing with both of these issues. The LWG was an issue even when I ordered my car in April of 2021. Sorry to hear you’re dealing with issues. Is your molding melting and did you schedule an appointment with the dealership?
No, moulding is fine. Glass is fine too, just not keen on a safety recall. I’ll have it checked in the fall at my 1 year service.
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:06 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

No, moulding is fine. Glass is fine too, just not keen on a safety recall. I’ll have it checked in the fall at my 1 year service.
Oh ok! Maybe Porsche fixed the problem with the ‘23/‘24 model years. It saved you the headache.

As an aside, I turned down the BOSE campaign. I didn’t want the update fiddling with my settings and compromising an otherwise flawless BOSE experience for me.
Icegrill (03-29-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 08:49 AM
Bluver
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

Originally Posted by Autobacs
What the heck are these dealerships doing to these cars. They need to tape off and protect the rest of the car. You should go back to the dealership and get them to fix that.
Like many on this forum, I also had the factory defect ‘melting windshield moulding’ — my detailer discovered it during PPF installation. I purchased the CS4 in January this year, with only 12K miles as a CPO. So clearly, I was a bit miffed that the CPO inspection/certification process missed this (intentional or not). Also, was happy to have discovered the issue — just wish it had been BEFORE PPF installation.

I then took it to the dealer, who did fairly quickly confirm the issue and arrange a windshield replacement. This is where issues started…

1. Porsche doesn’t install their own windshield replacements, they use a 3rd party company to do the work of removal/install. Then, the PORSCHE tech will recalibrate some sensors.

2. The glass installer did a very poor job trying to protect the paint/PPF, or keep the car clean during the process. Further disappointing that the PORSCHE tech inspection after install didn’t attempt to clean the care or inspect the quality of the work whatsoever.

3. I picked up my car after install and noted several issues immediately.

-black goo from the seal was pushed underneath the A-pillar PPF pieces (both sides).

-Something used to pry out the windshield damaged the PPF edge on my front hood (close to the base of the windshield) so it was lifting up.

-Black goo from the decomposing molding was spread along sever aspects of this region.

-The roof piece PPF by the front top windshield was also damaged.

-The inside window tint from the driver side door had multiple scratches, as if the installer was working on the windshield with the front door open and just ignorantly scraping his tool belt against the side window (that’s how I conceptualize it happening)

- There was a fine white dust along the top dash and inside windows, no attempt at cleanup

- The exterior of the car was very dirty, like it had been sitting outside in a construction zone for a couple of days. I did opt out of the ‘dealer wash’ since I didn’t trust them not to scratch it!

4. Long story, but there was a song and dance from the Porsche dealership — we’ve never had any issues before, those scratches could have been there before, etc. etc. Orignially I was told that I would need to take it up with the glass company, as I did the work — I responded that the dealership was culpable, as this was a warranty repair and the car was in their care with their choice of contractor!

In the end, speaking with the manager (who was reasonable) enabled verbal approval to have my detailer repair the PPF and side window tint. $470 of work, still waiting on the check from PORSCHE. My detailer actually discovered several small windshield scratches that needed to be polished out, but I didn’t even have the heart/patience to bring this up with PORSCHE!

Definitely disappointed with the experience in many ways, it’s actually the worst car dealership experience I’ve ever had — and it occurred with a months old purchase that I paid top dollar for! Hoping for no need for any further warranty work…

-Bluver

Last edited by Bluver; 03-30-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:30 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bluver
Like many on this forum, I also had the factory defect ‘melting windshield moulding’ defect — my detailer discovered it during PPF installation. I purchased the CS4 in January this year, with only 12K miles as a CPO. So clearly, I was a bit miffed that the CPO inspection/certification process missed this (intentional or not). Also, was happy to have discovered the issue — just wish it had been BEFORE PPF installation.

I look to the dealer, who did fairly quickly confirm the issue and arrange a windshield replacement. This is where issues started…

1. Porsche doesn’t install their own windshield replacements, they use a 3rd party company to do the work of removal/install. Then, the PORSCHE tech will recalibrate some sensors.

2. The glass installer did a very poor job trying to protect the paint/PPF, or keep the car clean during the process. Further disappointing that the PORSCHE tech inspection after install didn’t attempt to clean the care or inspect the quality of the work whatsoever.

3. I picked up my car after install and noted several issues immediately.

-black goo from the seal was pushed underneath the A-pillar PPF pieces (both sides).

-Something used to pry out the windshield damaged the PPF edge on my front hood (close to the base of the windshield) so it was lifting up.

-Black goo from the decomposing molding was spread along sever aspects of this region.

-The roof piece PPF by the front top windshield was also damaged.

-The inside window tint from the driver side door had multiple scratches, as if the installer was working on the windshield with the front door open and just ignorantly scraping his tool belt against the side window (that’s how I conceptualize it happening)

- There was a fine white dust along the top dash and inside windows, no attempt at cleanup

- The exterior of the car was very dirty, like it had been sitting outside in a construction zone for a couple of days. I did opt out of the ‘dealer wash’ since I didn’t trust them not to scratch it!

4. Long story, but there was a song and dance from the Porsche dealership — we’ve never had any issues before, those scratches could have been there before, etc. etc. Orignially I was told that I would need to take it up with the glass company, as I did the work — I responded that the dealership was culpable, as this was a warranty repair and the care was in their care with their choice of contractor. In the end, speaking with the manager (who is reasonable) allowed me to have my detailer repair the PPF and side window tint. $470 of work, still waiting on the check from PORSCHE.My detailer actually discovered several small windshield scratches that needed to be polished out, didn’t even have the heart/patience to bring this up with PORSCHE!

Definitely disappointed with the experience in many ways, it’s actually the worst car dealership experience I’ve ever had in my lifetime — and it occurred with a months old purchase that I paid top dollar for! Hoping for no need for any further warranty work…

-Bluver
All of those issues would’ve pissed me off too. It’s unfortunate the dealership didn’t take more care with the replacement.

My dealership uses a 3rd party vendor as well; all replacements are performed at the dealership. I’m relatively OCD about my car and I will be keen to check everything prior to leaving the dealership.
Icegrill (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 07:28 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
All of those issues would’ve pissed me off too. It’s unfortunate the dealership didn’t take more care with the replacement.

My dealership uses a 3rd party vendor as well; all replacements are performed at the dealership. I’m relatively OCD about my car and I will be keen to check everything prior to leaving the dealership.
Hopefully your dealer will take proper protective measures around the windshield. I saw a video posted a while ago of how they remove it and it’s cut out with a nylon cord to avoid damage. Porsche needs to factory train techs and create tools since it’s becoming so commonplace.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:34 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Hopefully your dealer will take proper protective measures around the windshield. I saw a video posted a while ago of how they remove it and it’s cut out with a nylon cord to avoid damage. Porsche needs to factory train techs and create tools since it’s becoming so commonplace.
I saw a similar video and I asked my service advisor how their contractor removes the windshields. He said they use the nylon cord method too and it’s a clean process. I agree that Porsche should train their techs to perform the work.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:21 AM
Paigey08
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
Hi folks,

I’ve encountered some weird issues today as I was preparing my car for its winter storage. The 992 has been parking inside the garage most of the time this year with only roughly 500km added to the odometer. While I was cleaning it up I noticed those black smudgy all around my windshield. It looked like the moulding has melted. I don’t know what’s the cause. The car hasn’t seen much usage and the garage isn’t that hot or even warm. I am curious if anybody had ever seen this happening before?

I have the exact same issue on my 2020 911. I looked around to see if this is normal for Porsche and saw others having same issue. My warranty is up end of this month so I took it to Irvine Porsche Friday and the SM didnt blink. He said they would replace it and it is covered. Seems like this is almost a recall issue but not sure if this is on all 911's, just some, just some years, etc.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:59 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paigey08
I have the exact same issue on my 2020 911. I looked around to see if this is normal for Porsche and saw others having same issue. My warranty is up end of this month so I took it to Irvine Porsche Friday and the SM didnt blink. He said they would replace it and it is covered. Seems like this is almost a recall issue but not sure if this is on all 911's, just some, just some years, etc.
From what I gathered reading this thread and speaking to my dealership about it, it has spanned across all model years of 992. The adhesive creates an adverse chemical reaction with the molding causing it to breakdown. Apparently Porsche is aware, yet, this is happening even on 992’s delivered in 2023.

I’m wondering if it’s partially climate related. Maybe the other adhesive applied at the factory doesn’t cause the same breakdown in colder climates. My car was fine until I moved from California to Nevada. Less than a year in NV and it began happening to my car. When it was cold(er) outside the molding didn’t become gooey. Anyway, that’s just my wild guess since my dealership said there would be a different adhesive used during the replacement. I’ll be monitoring my new windshield closely since I have two years of warranty left. So far, so good.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-07-2024 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:33 AM
TheOtherDave
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=M3Inline6;19373726]
I’m wondering if it’s partially climate related. Maybe the other adhesive applied at the factory doesn’t cause the same breakdown in colder climates. /QUOTE]

I live in Colorado and mine started doing it in Feb of this year.

If I had to guess it is somewhat UV light related.

Last edited by TheOtherDave; 04-07-2024 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:41 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

Glad to see dealers taking care of this…we’ve seen this since the 991 gen and fingers crossed, maybe a non issue moving forward now that adhesive/seal are sorted
Old 04-08-2024, 08:25 PM
Devon Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 639 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Paigey08
I have posted a windscreen issue on the T thread for anyone interested to read it.
Best Devon Racer.

Quick Reply: Self melting windshield moulding?