Sponsored by:

Cargraphic Valve Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 08:31 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 1,846 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by BED997
I’m sure this is answered somewhere in the 55 pages of this thread so sorry in advance.

if you select valves closed, do they stay shut no matter what, or open as needed?

Valves closed mode keeps the cold start quiet but would open as needed at higher RPM?
They stay shut until you open. They are worth the money if you want a better sound.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:32 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by js1ngh13
Do you have to wait for after the break in period to install this or can this be done right away?
install right away but adhere to your engine rpm break in period.
The following users liked this post:
js1ngh13 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 08:33 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 521 Likes on 197 Posts

I’m sure this is answered somewhere in the 55 pages of this thread so sorry in advance.

if you select valves closed, do they stay shut no matter what, or open as needed?

Valves closed mode keeps the cold start quiet but would open as needed at higher RPM?
Depends... if you have the GT3 version, there is a permanently closed option. If you have the version for non GT3 cars, your options are "open" or OEM control. There is no "closed" setting.

You can damage the engine running the valves closed at high RPM and overriding the OEM valve control.

Last edited by gthal; 04-03-2024 at 08:40 PM.
brianja (04-24-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 08:36 PM
gthal
Pro

Originally Posted by Cartod
They stay shut until you open. They are worth the money if you want a better sound.
See above... I'm not sure this is correct. When the Cargraphic controller is in "Open" mode, the valves stay open all of the time. On a non-GT3 car, the "closed" option is really OEM control. So the exhaust control button (sport/normal) works as per normal from the factory. There is no "permanent" closed valve option.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:36 PM
BED997
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Should have been clear. Not a GT3. I would think permanently close might impact the turbos.

so closed is basically PSE then, just adds the benefit of a quiet start?
Old 04-03-2024, 08:39 PM
gthal
Pro

Should have been clear. Not a GT3. I would think permanently close might impact the turbos.

so closed is basically PSE then, just adds the benefit of a quiet start?
Being in "closed" or "OEM" mode really just means the car behaves as it did from the factory. Yes, closed gives your a quiet start but, just to be clear, t's not any quieter on start-up than it is from the factory. My GTS sounded entirely stock with the Cargraphic controller in closed mode (not any quieter) but really loud on startup in open mode.

I think of it this way... "open" is loud all of the time. "Closed" is stock functionality with the car controlling the valves just like it did the first day you picked it up from the dealer

Last edited by gthal; 04-03-2024 at 09:19 PM.
BED997 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 08:58 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gthal
See above... I'm not sure this is correct. When the Cargraphic controller is in "Open" mode, the valves stay open all of the time. On a non-GT3 car, the "closed" option is really OEM control. So the exhaust control button (sport/normal) works as per normal from the factory. There is no "permanent" closed valve option.
Beating a dead horse again here. Im out.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:16 PM
gthal
Pro

Originally Posted by Cartod
Beating a dead horse again here. Im out.
Not sure I understand the dead horse reference but that's OK
Old 04-04-2024, 05:28 PM
BED997
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like several companies sell this valve controller under different names - Cargraphic, Kies, Capristo, and ASR. Perhaps some others.

Does anyone know who designed the controller and has licensed it out to other companies?

The ASR Germany website has a nice video showing how the exhaust valves are working with the control module and how open and close the exhaust works with or without the module working on a 992 Targa 4GTS. Some video inside and outside the car.
YouTube can translate the German to English.

I'll try and link the video. It's about 15 minutes.

https://asr-component.de/gb/begin/26...onvertible_992

Old 04-24-2024, 02:14 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 226 Posts

Anyone install one of these lately? Seems like a really simple and great exhaust mod, but I see many posts about error codes, reduced power warnings and interment failures. Looking to see how these are holding up. Would like the extra sound but don’t want error codes, headaches or drone.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:36 PM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Looking to see how these are holding up. Would like the extra sound but don’t want error codes, headaches or drone.
I bought a Cargraphic Valve Controller and from new it gave me "Reduced power" errors which PIWIS said was coming from faults in the exhaust valves. Also it did not allow me to start the car with the valves open. The vendor I bought the unit from made some suggestions to fix it, and I read all the forum comments on it (there are so many!). Finally the vendor took my unit back and gave me a new replacement. The replacement had slight differences in the controller housing. After installing the replacement controller, it worked correctly from the start and I have not had any errors or faults, and I can start the car with the valves open. So, I think there were some controllers that were defective from the manufacturer. I have been running the replacement unit for maybe 3 months now without problems.

I love my valve controller now. My recommendation is to buy it with confidence from any vendor who will give you assurance that they will stand behind the product if there is a problem, including replacing it. If you get a faulty one (a small percentage I would think) you will know it quickly.

As for droning, one man's drone is another man's music. I used to work in Automotive NVH testing and I will tell you that there is some drone (as it is technically defined) at certain speeds and loads with the valves open. If it annoys you just close the valves. As for myself, I keep the valves open all the time. Music!

-Damon

Last edited by DamonsCarrera; 04-24-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:55 PM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DamonsCarrera
there is some drone (as it is technically defined) at certain speeds and loads with the valves open.
P.S. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Porsche is using the variable valve positioning to mitigate NVH issues instead of having to address them at individual components of the car in the case of a fully-open-all-the-time exhaust. Just my opinion, I do not really know why Porsche controls the valves the way they do it.

-Damon

Last edited by DamonsCarrera; 04-26-2024 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:27 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,229 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Anyone install one of these lately? Seems like a really simple and great exhaust mod, but I see many posts about error codes, reduced power warnings and interment failures. Looking to see how these are holding up. Would like the extra sound but don’t want error codes, headaches or drone.
Have owned one for about 12 months. Bought here on the Group Buy. Installed myself in my garage following Shrimp Money, 22992 and Flat 6 Motorsports tutorials 9thanks guys!) . Have had zero issues. My experience has been 100% positive with the unit so far. Would buy it again.
Cartod (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 04:37 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm still really happy with my controller, but recently I seem to have lost the ability to have the valves default to OEM operation at startup. They always start in the open position, leading to a VERY loud cold start with my Akrapovic exhaust. My neighbors must hate me. The controller works correctly otherwise... changing modes without an issue.

I've tried the "press the mode that you want it to start in 5 times quickly" method to program the module, but it isn't taking.

Any insight from the group?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:07 PM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

The instructions I have say:

Press the button for the mode you want to program as the start mode for about ten seconds.

The valves open and close 5 times to confirm the successful programming of the start mode.

-Damon

Originally Posted by brianja
I'm still really happy with my controller, but recently I seem to have lost the ability to have the valves default to OEM operation at startup.
brianja (04-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Cargraphic Valve Control Unit