Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is actually going on at the Port of Emden.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 07:06 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 284 Likes on 99 Posts
Default What is actually going on at the Port of Emden.

My Targa GTS production was completed a number of weeks ago and it’s been sitting at the Port of Emden for 3 weeks. It has Bose but no PDCC.
Hearing horror stories from customers with cars that have been stranded there for months. A guy on FB this morning is asking why his Spyder has been there for 3 weeks.
Does anybody know definitively what the situation is at the Port of Emden and why there seems to be a backlog of vehicles for shipping? Is it striking workers? Is it supply issues with things like Bose systems being retrofitted at the Port? Lots of rumours but would be interested to hear what the dealers or Porsche customer services are actually saying to affected customers. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:10 AM
Marcha
Instructor

For the record my sales exec at the dealer has confirmed to me that the car is at the Port being prepared for shipping but has no idea when it will actually be shipped. Production was completed 2nd week in February so it’s not that long yet but it’s worrying that vehicles are there for months apparently.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:10 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 614 Posts

Our son's Taycan has been there for a few weeks with no forthcoming explanation. I think three potential transport vessels have come and gone since it arrived at port.
He would like to know as well but can't get any info.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:13 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Originally Posted by Keadog
Our son's Taycan has been there for a few weeks with no forthcoming explanation. I think three potential transport vessels have come and gone since it arrived at port.
He would like to know as well but can't get any info.
It must be something outside of Porsche control I’m assuming. There is only so much space at the port and if they don’t start moving more vehicles soon they’re going to have to reduce production as they’ll have nowhere to put them.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:39 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcha
It must be something outside of Porsche control I’m assuming. There is only so much space at the port and if they don’t start moving more vehicles soon they’re going to have to reduce production as they’ll have nowhere to put them.
Emden ships about 2 million vehicles annually. Porsche ships about 40,000 vehicles (all models) to the US. Holding back a percentage of those. vehicles is not going to cause a storage problem.
A single “RORO” vessel can hold over 6,000 vehicles - Porsche is not going to reduce production due to lack of storage space.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:01 AM
IPA1
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm guessing there is no smoking gun here. The process from post production requires a driver to move the car to a temp storeage lot and possibly another to load it on the truck. Then a driver to get the truck to Emden, a driver to unload the truck and then park the car again. Next a driver to load the car on the RORO at exactly the right time for unloading reasons. Thats a bunch of coordination. If a car gets out of step even a day or so, it's probably missing the ship. Cars getting finishing touches at the port or factory add more to the mix. How do they flow into the loading process? Now, if Porsche allowed tracing physical location by VIN that might provide some interesting insights.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:13 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Originally Posted by audi4t
Emden ships about 2 million vehicles annually. Porsche ships about 40,000 vehicles (all models) to the US. Holding back a percentage of those. vehicles is not going to cause a storage problem.
A single “RORO” vessel can hold over 6,000 vehicles - Porsche is not going to reduce production due to lack of storage space.
1.) Not only Porsche use the port of Emden, it’s also used by Mercedes, VW Audi & BMW.

2.) All these manufacturers ship cars all around the globe from Emden & if there is a bottleneck there then it’s going to get full. It isn’t just about Porsche-USA. There is finite storage available.

The point of the thread is to find out the reasons for delays at the port, not to argue semantics.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:37 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 874 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcha
1.) Not only Porsche use the port of Emden, it’s also used by Mercedes, VW Audi & BMW.

2.) All these manufacturers ship cars all around the globe from Emden & if there is a bottleneck there then it’s going to get full. It isn’t just about Porsche-USA. There is finite storage available.

The point of the thread is to find out the reasons for delays at the port, not to argue semantics.
And you think a keyboard jockey on the internet knows the answers particularly if your SA doesn’t?
The following users liked this post:
Radiationman (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 08:39 AM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 256 Posts

This is pretty typical, or at least not atypical. By that, I mean many of us here have experienced our cars waiting for a ride to North America. If you miss a particular ship, then you have to wait for the next one that takes your car to the particular port for your delivery point. I hated the wait too, but it passed and my Targa arrived. What does TYD say?
The following users liked this post:
S S (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 08:51 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
And you think a keyboard jockey on the internet knows the answers particularly if your SA doesn’t?
Yawn. Can you even read Einstein?

My initial post clearly says that there are “Lots of rumours but would be interested to hear what the dealers or Porsche customer services are actually saying to affected customers. Thanks.”

Hence, specifically looking for first hand accounts of what dealers are telling customers about delays at the port if their vehicle has been affected.

I hope that explains it a bit more for the hard of thinking. I thought it was clear, but obviously some need spoon feeding.
The following 5 users liked this post by Marcha:
HappinessProcured (03-07-2023), Muckesäckele (03-26-2023), Sal D (03-09-2023), SAlexander (03-09-2023), Triathlonkid (03-08-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 08:58 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
This is pretty typical, or at least not atypical. By that, I mean many of us here have experienced our cars waiting for a ride to North America. If you miss a particular ship, then you have to wait for the next one that takes your car to the particular port for your delivery point. I hated the wait too, but it passed and my Targa arrived. What does TYD say?
Once again, It isn’t just America. My car is shipping a mere hop across the North Sea to UK. There are many more boats to uk and normally no delays but even our cars are delayed for weeks at the Port, so something is causing delay and a backing up of vehicles at Emden.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:21 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 279 Posts

I believe that some cars get stuck in Emden waiting on a part or something to complete the build. IIRC, one guy car showed to be there for months before it finally shipped.Probably not what's happening to you, but it does happen.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:22 AM
jfb992
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 32 Posts

This CNBC story is several months old, but point to a number of factors. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/07/from...rman-port.html

I had been told a lack of drivers when my car was in the port in October 2022 could create a delay. Reading these threads, I was extremely lucky. Car arrived in Emden on 10/20/2022 and was on a vessel by 10/25/2022.

Last edited by jfb992; 03-07-2023 at 01:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jfb992:
Schwarz992C4S (03-08-2023), tourenwagen (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 11:09 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,425 Likes on 508 Posts

I was in Emden for 31 days, FWIW.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:23 AM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine was sitting completed at Emden port for about two weeks. I just got an email yesterday that it finally just left yesterday . Like others have said, Emden ships cars for other manufacturers ( not just Porsche ) so sometimes your car will sit for a period of time .

Quick Reply: What is actually going on at the Port of Emden.