Sponsored by:

992 GTS Suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 06:55 PM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 992 GTS Suspension...

I have a 2023 Targa 4 GTS, which comes standard with PASM.

I was thinking about getting the Bilstein EVO SE coil-overs to lower the car. I like the idea of the stock suspension is Billstein and these are "plug and play".

If I replace the stock suspension with the Bilstien, how does that affect PASM and the different drive modes?

Although, when I look at their page:
https://performance.bilstein.com/en/...lstein-evo-se/

It lists all the models they are available for, but it doesn't list any GTS models.

I’m also a bit confused about the Targa 4 GTS height in comparison to other 992s… I’ve read hear the Targa isn’t as low as others because of the additional weight, but when I read elsewhere (and according to the dealer) it says the GTS is 10mm lower. So where can I get the “official” numbers?

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 03-26-2023, 08:49 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,480 Likes on 951 Posts

I think Targa 4 GTS ride height is same as Carrera S with standard PASM.
The following users liked this post:
jbl16 (03-28-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 10:19 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

The Targa suspension is raised 10mm from the GTS stock and lacks the Turbo helper springs. Essentially a C2S. It's more than fine if you drive over typical roads, but not the more track-honed GTS suspension. If you're looking for a Targa with the lowered suspension, an aftermarket would be your choice. As to which is better, I haven't a clue. But I spec'd my GTS coupe with the PASM vice standard GTS (Targa raised) suspension and I'm not the least bit disappointed.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:17 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957Goldtop
I have a 2023 Targa 4 GTS, which comes standard with PASM.

I was thinking about getting the Bilstein EVO SE coil-overs to lower the car. I like the idea of the stock suspension is Billstein and these are "plug and play".

If I replace the stock suspension with the Bilstien, how does that affect PASM and the different drive modes?

Although, when I look at their page:

It lists all the models they are available for, but it doesn't list any GTS models.

I’m also a bit confused about the Targa 4 GTS height in comparison to other 992s… I’ve read hear the Targa isn’t as low as others because of the additional weight, but when I read elsewhere (and according to the dealer) it says the GTS is 10mm lower. So where can I get the “official” numbers?

Thanks!

Jeff
What are you trying to achieve? The GTS suspension is pretty near perfect. If it's aesthetics you're going for just get lowering springs. Ie. KW HAS.
BMWMB (03-29-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 12:47 AM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shogunade
What are you trying to achieve? The GTS suspension is pretty near perfect. If it's aesthetics you're going for just get lowering springs. Ie. KW HAS.
Well, lowering was the objective... But I thought just adding lowering springs would effect the suspension performance negativity. Clearly I'm not understanding.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:43 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 866 Posts

Well, lowering was the objective... But I thought just adding lowering springs would effect the suspension performance negativity. Clearly I'm not understanding.
No need go with coilovers if all you want to do is lower the car. Look into KW HAS lowering springs or Bilsteins. It will keep the beautiful GTS suspension in tact just with shortened springs.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:07 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Went with the Bilstein EVO SE's on my 22 GTS. Love them! Great look and great ride, and no CEL's because Bilstein make the stock shocks. Marginally more stiff feeling but good rebound and damping. They feel basically stock. BTW, I track my car. Sebring, a pretty rough surface is home track. The car feels much more planted, less body roll. No issues after 2500 miles and several track weekends. I would highly recommend!
The following 2 users liked this post by KBS911:
dixonk (03-29-2023), null (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 03:03 PM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Originally Posted by KBS911
Went with the Bilstein EVO SE's on my 22 GTS. Love them! Great look and great ride, and no CEL's because Bilstein make the stock shocks. Marginally more stiff feeling but good rebound and damping. They feel basically stock. BTW, I track my car. Sebring, a pretty rough surface is home track. The car feels much more planted, less body roll. No issues after 2500 miles and several track weekends. I would highly recommend!
I just got an email back from Bilstein saying the EVO SE's are not compatible with the GTS. As you can see her:

They list all the 992s but the GTS. So, I emailed them to ask about it and they confirmed 🤷‍♂️

Old 03-29-2023, 04:42 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

I just got an email back from Bilstein saying the EVO SE's are not compatible with the GTS. As you can see her:

They list all the 992s but the GTS. So, I emailed them to ask about it and they confirmed 🤷‍♂️
Doesn't make sense. The GTS is just a S+ and SE coil overs work on the Turbo and Turbo S, that weigh several hundred pounds more, but not on the GTS??? Sorry the GTS is not that special. Do what you will. I simply provided my actual experience on my 22 GTS with the EVO coil-overs. It transformed the car. Lowering springs are a half measure. Trust me, I know, I have had them on several cars. Good luck!
Old 03-29-2023, 04:44 PM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Doesn't make sense. The GTS is just a S+ and SE coil overs work on the Turbo and Turbo S, that weigh several hundred pounds more, but not on the GTS??? Sorry the GTS is not that special. Do what you will. I simply provided my actual experience on my 22 GTS with the EVO coil-overs. It transformed the car. Lowering springs are a half measure. Trust me, I know, I have had them on several cars. Good luck!
Quote from Bilstein after email them back to confirm the GTS is not supported:

Bilstein is hyper specific about the way we design test and tune all of our products to be application specific. For sport oriented models such as these we will sometimes differentiate down to the sub model. One example is a base 3 series compared to an M3, they will have different kits. I apologize but the kits we do offer were simply not tested or designed for GTS vehicles. It is likely that a GTS specific kit will be released in the future however we do not have access to production status or up coming projects as part of technical and warranty support.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:45 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 658 Posts

How far did you lower yours?
Old 03-29-2023, 05:05 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dixonk
How far did you lower yours?
About 15mm.
dixonk (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 05:11 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Quote from Bilstein after email them back to confirm the GTS is not supported:

Bilstein is hyper specific about the way we design test and tune all of our products to be application specific. For sport oriented models such as these we will sometimes differentiate down to the sub model. One example is a base 3 series compared to an M3, they will have different kits. I apologize but the kits we do offer were simply not tested or designed for GTS vehicles. It is likely that a GTS specific kit will be released in the future however we do not have access to production status or up coming projects as part of technical and warranty support.
Silly me. Can't believe my lying eyes, or actual experience on street and track after 2500+ miles! Recommend you go with the lowering springs, at least they will look cool! Cheap, too!
Old 03-29-2023, 05:15 PM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Silly me. Can't believe my lying eyes, or actual experience on street and track after 2500+ miles! Recommend you go with the lowering springs, at least they will look cool! Cheap, too!
Ha... Yeah... What does Bilstein know about their products or Porsches... I'm sure your anecdotal experience and years of training in the field surpass their knowledge.

Everything works great until it doesn't.

I'm sure they're just being cautious since their products weren't specifically tested with the GTS and they probably do work exactly as expected. I'm just telling you what the ACTUAL expert's told me. Do what you will.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:40 PM
vuudoopham
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is my experience with various types of suspension and cars so you have context with my recommendation. I have owned every M2/M3/M4 generation until the current M4 generation (I can't live with the new grill), a few Audi S cars (S4, RS4), a few Toyota MR2s (second gen), an Acura NSX, and an MK8 Golf R. I have modified the suspension on all of them, including springs only, full coilovers of various types, and the Bilstein or Ohlin full direct replacement with EDC.
  • The worst setup is the lowering spring only setup. H&R is particularly bad at this. The car is made worst, and you get significant bouncing. Ride quality is almost always significantly worse. IMO, it is just not worth it for your car to look good if it drives like crap. You can get away with a really high-quality setup from Swift or something similar where they have a lowering spring with the exact same rates as your stock spring, so it pairs well with your stock damper. I did this on my e92 M3 and was relatively happy with it. In all cases, you retain your electronic dampening.
  • KW HAS is the cheapest way to achieve the lowering look while retaining 99% of the stock feel. This setup retains all of the electronic dampening features, and the car will essentially feel stock with the "lowered" look. I would say that the KW HAS for the 992 is "slightly softer" than the stock setup. By softer, I mean "more compliant" over rough road. I didn't notice any performance degradation, but I don't track my car.
  • A full coilover setup like the KW V3 or V4 or Bilstien PSS9 or something similar is great, but you lose electronic dampening control tied into your car's sport modes. These setups are very good, but you will lose electronic dampening control. You can dial in almost every aspect of your suspension, but it will essentially be static until you manually change it. Some changes are easy, others much more involved. I think there is a KW set that lets you electrically set some of this from the cockpit, but I don't believe it's integrated with the car's modes. I have had good success dialing these setups for something in between Sport and Sport+ in the cars I have owned, and been happy to leave the setup static.
  • A full Bilstein or Ohlin replacement will give you everything that a full coilover setup gives you, plus electronic dampening control that works with your car modes. This is by far the most expensive option but gives you all of the available feature sets. IMO this is overkill if you just want to lower the car. If you track the car or want control of all the details of your suspension AND want electronic dampening control, this is the option for you. As for it transforming the car, I don't feel like it transformed the BMWs I have had this setup on. I have never run anything other than the KW HAS on a Porsche though, so take this with a grain of salt. Others may have different experiences with this setup.
With all that said: You should go with the KW HAS kit. The KW HAS kit has a set of springs with very similar spring rates to the stock setup but has a collar that allows you to adjust the height. I have my GTS about an inch lower than SPASM, and I think it's a great setup! It is the lowest hassle and lowest impact to handling change you can make to get rid of that wheel gap, and it only costs a bit more than a set of lowering springs.

The following 5 users liked this post by vuudoopham:
aggie57 (03-30-2023), Cokerrat (04-03-2023), Macboy (04-05-2023), OMTarga4S (03-29-2023), Wilder (05-28-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 GTS Suspension...