Sponsored by:

Advise for wrapping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 12:10 PM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Advise for wrapping?

Still beyond thrilled with my recent Agate Grey over Mojave Beige/Black interior MY20 992 cab, yet every time I see a blue over tan car I'm reminded that was my first choice

If you've wrapped your 992 I would be interested in your advice.

I've never wrapped a car. Feeling a little skeptical how even an amazing detailer works with pop up door handles or an emblem sitting on top of the hood. (etc, etc).

Please share your experience and learnings and if there's a SF / San Jose Area business you'd recommend, LMK. .... THX!

Yeah, I know I need to take more pics and post... this is all I got right now.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:29 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 867 Posts

I haven't wrapped any of my cars but have seriously considered it and have done HOURS of research. So pretty much in the same position youre in, but I just let the whole thing digest and have decided to just let it go. I spent the money elsewhere. Anyway, what would you like to know specifically and maybe I can help.

Only advice for you rn is to find the best installer you can. Go to their shop and check out their work. I've seen plenty of "great" shops that consistently fail to tuck in tight corners correctly etc and you can see the original paint in certain spots, which should never be the case.

Also take into consideration if you want the door jams wrapped as well so you wouldn't be able to tell the car was wrapped every time the doors are opened. This will of course add to the price of the install.

I'd say a fair price for this car would be $4k. But then again, there are no fair prices once you tell them its a Porsche. Expect to pay around $6k, probably even higher in your area. Or if you're handy, DIY and your overhead in materials will be like $800, but expect it take a week or so going slowly as you learn on nights and a weekend.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:51 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,197 Likes on 603 Posts

For me if a car has dark paint and you freak out about swirl marks (like me) you wrap. If you are less **** about swirling, have a lighter color or a non metallic that is easily resprayed for rock chips it’s not really worth it. If doing PPF you pay up to do it right.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:52 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,269 Posts

I've seen some amazing wraps on 99x's around the Buffalo, NY area. One guy had a JBM Turbo he wrapped with a semi-clear Matte finish. The metallic in the black popped but overall, it looked like a frozen black. It was incredible. The best part about wrapping? It's cheaper (and available) unlike PTS and if you get sick of the wrap, you peel it off and you have a perfectly preserved original colored car which you must like or you wouldn't have ordered it. I'd love to wrap my GT Silver in a BRG or Porsche Racing Green Metallic color.
Old 04-16-2023, 03:59 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Delete

Last edited by Wilder; 04-17-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 04:23 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 373 Posts

I recommend you go ahead and wrap !

I wrapped my BMW and it turned out great.

Research well and choose the shop you are most happy with - there are some fantastic colors available - ad obviously it doesn’t have to be permanent.

The BMW went from Jet Black to Satin Yellow.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:15 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by redcab
Still beyond thrilled with my recent Agate Grey over Mojave Beige/Black interior MY20 992 cab, yet every time I see a blue over tan car I'm reminded that was my first choice

If you've wrapped your 992 I would be interested in your advice.

I've never wrapped a car. Feeling a little skeptical how even an amazing detailer works with pop up door handles or an emblem sitting on top of the hood. (etc, etc).

Please share your experience and learnings and if there's a SF / San Jose Area business you'd recommend, LMK. .... THX!

How ocd or picky are you?
Old 04-16-2023, 06:52 PM
redcab
Racer

Originally Posted by 20C4S
How ocd or picky are you?
I don't think of myself particularly OCD... Wear and tear (like rock chips) on a daily driver happens and that's ok. If the vinyl tore to show the original paint underneath I'd probably want to fix it though.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:10 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't think of myself particularly OCD... Wear and tear (like rock chips) on a daily driver happens and that's ok. If the vinyl tore to show the original paint underneath I'd probably want to fix it though.
Wrapping is a thing but I can't get pass the fact that the door jam & tight areas that can't get wrapped. Not to mention the vinyl material just never has the paint finish look but a cheap look. I. can see the commercial use for marketing but can never accept a wrap for color change.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:20 PM
secondtimer
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

I had wrapped all of my sports cars until the very last one because the more you baby it, the more money that you are in it, the less likely you will use it (that is me). It is the too precious effect.

I try to treat it like just an automobile. From my experience, it doesn't make that much difference in resale if any.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:07 PM
Shambler
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a full clear PPF and I got some good advice on here about double wrapping the wheel arches behind the doors.
My clear wrap is pitted and if it was a color, I'd want to protect it more. The advice came after I learned of pitting, but still great advice in my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
vg247 (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 04:02 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
I have a full clear PPF and I got some good advice on here about double wrapping the wheel arches behind the doors.
My clear wrap is pitted and if it was a color, I'd want to protect it more. The advice came after I learned of pitting, but still great advice in my opinion.

+1000 double PPF at those rear left and right quarter panels , on top
Of your PPF.

I learned this after the fact - this is just from a 1 hr drive 35mph in sand , snow, and salt they put on the road to melt the snow

- car is gentian blue with full car clear ppf

Last edited by vg247; 04-17-2023 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:51 AM
redcab
Racer

@vg247 Is that going to be that ugly forever? Or will it wash off? I've heard that ppf is flexible and will "self heal" over time. Is that your experience?

Back to my original post... looking for more advice about how to make sure I get a high quality wrap (not so much whether I should or shouldn't wrap). THx!
Old 04-17-2023, 12:12 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

@vg247 Is that going to be that ugly forever? Or will it wash off? I've heard that ppf is flexible and will "self heal" over time. Is that your experience?

Back to my original post... looking for more advice about how to make sure I get a high quality wrap (not so much whether I should or shouldn't wrap). THx!
Re self healing actually, the self healing is more marketing and only if you have very mild imperfections. My pictures of the damaged rocker panels, physical impacts of chips/debris, that punctured the ppf film - these will not self heal.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,238 Likes on 2,729 Posts

It's all about the installer with ppf. A garbage install will look like garbage, no matter how nice the product may be.

Quick Reply: Advise for wrapping?