Sponsored by:

some thoughts on 1 week of 992 Base Carrera ownership

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 02:32 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,425 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
Remington, with reference to interior noise, with which tires was your car delivered?
Michelin PS4s
Old 04-25-2023, 02:54 AM
thermallc
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Did you spec PSE?
Old 04-25-2023, 05:09 PM
KSG1965
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by remington;[url=tel:18754363
18754363[/url]]Some initial impressions after a week of 992 Base ownership. This is my 3rd Porsche, first 911, and first factory ordered Porsche. I spec'd it as a comfortable daily driver along side my S6, and in that respect it's an unusual build for a Base, with $32k in options meant to make it the more affordable comfort/luxury variant of the 911 range.

-the Base for me feels plenty quick enough for street driving, and I've owned and driven much faster GT Porsches and M cars. It's right-powered for the street
- the Base has a very civilized ride, it's perfectly suitable for daily driving for a sports car/GT type driver. I have 20/21 wheels.
- It is somewhat noisy, the youtube videos don't lie. It's fine as a daily as long as you aren't expecting a luxury car experience.
- sport chrono adds a lot to a PDK base. Highly recommend. Use it every time I drive
- Burmester sounds amazing . Sure the car is loud but you can still appreciate it. I only spec'd it because Bose was not available at the time but now I'm glad
-18 ways are very comfortable, but no more so than the 4 ways in my GT4. Main benefit for me, seat memory.
- full leather with deviated stitching lifts the cabin a lot but not sure it's worth the money if you're on a budget
- the break in is not as hard as I thought, there is plenty of fun to be had below 4k and at least on the street it takes effort to exceed 4k and stay legal
- the PDK is a delight, this is my first non manual Porsche and I can see the appeal. Don't miss the manual certainly as a daily
- the steering wheel blocking the outside instruments is a glaring design fail and shame on Porsche for letting that out the door.
- Very little brake dust compared to other sports cars I have owned, either that or the Carrera classics hide it well
-glass sunroof is nice but again if you're on a budget skip it it doesn't transform the car
- no squeaks or rattles so far
-a couple of surround camera glitches caused the cameras to show as not available when I went to park
- apple carplay seems very reliable and stable
-I opted not to PPF or ceramic coat the car. I realize this will cause some rennlisters to lose sleep. It will be OK. The more precious I treat a car the less I enjoy it, so I'm going to accept chips and dings, although I rarely get them in my cars in part due to the climate where I live and favorable parking at work\ and home
- adaptive cruise works very well.

Overall really enjoying the car so far. My poor S6 hasn't been driven this week. The Base makes a very fun daily driver in the right climate.
Have you tried driving in composite mode? I prefer driving with this mode and see the gauges. YMMV

The following users liked this post:
remington (04-26-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 10:07 PM
Zoomnbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

Have 2020 CS4. How the F*** do I get it in this mode?????????
Old 04-25-2023, 10:27 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thermallc
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Did you spec PSE?
Yes. Don't notice much difference in the cabin but outside it's noticable.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:02 PM
KSG1965
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomnbyu;[url=tel:18766687
18766687[/url]]Have 2020 CS4. How the F*** do I get it in this mode?????????
use the right roller on the steering wheel and depressing it will go into composite mode. To get it out of composite mode depress the back arrow button. Hope this helps. 😎
Old 04-26-2023, 12:09 PM
Dream in PTS
Pro

Received 848 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
the Base for me feels plenty quick enough for street driving, and I've owned and driven much faster GT Porsches and M cars. It's right-powered for the street.
Solid review. This comment resonated with me. Base is more than enough power and speed for road driving. I’ve also owned much faster cars and the extra power is typically just wasted on the street imo.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dream in PTS:
Nein Eleven (04-26-2023), por356 (04-26-2023), remington (04-26-2023), Victory911 (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 04:49 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

@remington what's the C2 like compared to the GT4?
Old 04-26-2023, 05:08 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wilder
@remington what's the C2 like compared to the GT4?
Roomier cabin, less wind and tire noise but not dramatically so, much higher ingress/egress, less aggressive driving position, probably equal low end seat of the pants feeling of speed in the 911 but much more dramatic power roll-on over 4k in the GT4, much more modern interior in the 911 obviously. Much easier to drive around town in the 911 as the Gt4 you have to constantly be aware of not scraping. I would clearly take the GT4 on a canyon run and obviously the track, but everything else 911 C2 for sure. Personally I think the 992 is more beautiful to look at, the GT4 looks amazing from certain angles but from other angles it looks awkward. The 992 makes me turn my head for a second look when I walk away more so than the GT4.

Bottom line the GT4 is a dramatic experience from start to finish, the 992 C2 much less frenetic and more relaxed. The GT4 feels like it wants to murder you at times, the steering is so active and busy there is no relaxing at all when you drive it, which can be fun depending on what you're looking for. It's a HORRIBLE daily driver but I feel like that should be obvious LOL.
The following 6 users liked this post by remington:
BOS911T (04-26-2023), LnC993 (04-26-2023), Nein Eleven (04-26-2023), por356 (04-28-2023), Victory911 (04-26-2023), Wilder (04-27-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-26-2023, 07:23 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 621 Posts

I agree with a lot that is being said about the base with one exception: I found the base PASM suspension too soft, too susceptible, light footed and in particular in the front (just look at the OEM base wheel gap). I did not like how it felt on the highway - at higher speeds any crosswinds, grooves or ridges in the pavement made it feel its all over the place (it did not wander but it feels like it). I first had it checked by the shop if my car has no problems, which it did not. I then decided to install Techart HAS..I wanted that wheel gap gone anyway. Adjusted it so that its a little raked, did an alignment, checked that all shocks were set correctly. The little stiffer suspension made a huge difference to me. The car is still a bit more light-footed than lets say my heavy, front engine AMG but it is much, much better. I now can enjoy the ride much more and dont feel I have to hold on the steering wheel tight in the same situations.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:37 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,692 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomnbyu
Have 2020 CS4. How the F*** do I get it in this mode?????????
You can't. Came in with later model years.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:35 PM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Been driving my MY20 (*base) Cab for 3 weeks now and it's a solid upgrade on my 20 years driving a 996. All smiles!

Here are my surprises... none tragic... caused by my incomplete research on MY20 vs later years...

1. LCA not available in premium pkg (which I have) in MY20. Odd especially because I have the full surround cameras which are awesome.
2. FAL not GPS enabled in MY20
3. Homelink garage door opener sucks - useless. I put my garage remote back on the visor. (but at least it's GPS enabled!)
4. "Reduced" instrument gauge (as pictured in reply above) not available in MY20. Would have been nice but I'll just pretend it's reduced by not seeing the 2 outer dials. haha
5. Comfort pkg doesn't lift door handles reliably. Easier to just reach for the remote. Same for the frunk swipe release

Old 04-27-2023, 12:45 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
Roomier cabin, less wind and tire noise but not dramatically so, much higher ingress/egress, less aggressive driving position, probably equal low end seat of the pants feeling of speed in the 911 but much more dramatic power roll-on over 4k in the GT4, much more modern interior in the 911 obviously. Much easier to drive around town in the 911 as the Gt4 you have to constantly be aware of not scraping. I would clearly take the GT4 on a canyon run and obviously the track, but everything else 911 C2 for sure. Personally I think the 992 is more beautiful to look at, the GT4 looks amazing from certain angles but from other angles it looks awkward. The 992 makes me turn my head for a second look when I walk away more so than the GT4.

Bottom line the GT4 is a dramatic experience from start to finish, the 992 C2 much less frenetic and more relaxed. The GT4 feels like it wants to murder you at times, the steering is so active and busy there is no relaxing at all when you drive it, which can be fun depending on what you're looking for. It's a HORRIBLE daily driver but I feel like that should be obvious LOL.
Thank you for this. I asked because I feel like there is crossover between the 7.2 GT3, which I own, and the GT4, which I crossed shopped with the T. I purchased the T hoping for a touch of GT DNA but with more refinement and versatility. Your comments align with other comparisons between the previous T and GT4. Cheers.
Old 04-27-2023, 01:25 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I agree with a lot that is being said about the base with one exception: I found the base PASM suspension too soft, too susceptible, light footed and in particular in the front (just look at the OEM base wheel gap). I did not like how it felt on the highway - at higher speeds any crosswinds, grooves or ridges in the pavement made it feel its all over the place (it did not wander but it feels like it). I first had it checked by the shop if my car has no problems, which it did not. I then decided to install Techart HAS..I wanted that wheel gap gone anyway. Adjusted it so that its a little raked, did an alignment, checked that all shocks were set correctly. The little stiffer suspension made a huge difference to me. The car is still a bit more light-footed than lets say my heavy, front engine AMG but it is much, much better. I now can enjoy the ride much more and dont feel I have to hold on the steering wheel tight in the same situations.
Totally hear what you're saying but PASM was one of the reasons I got the C2, better for me for daily driving. It's fun to drive a 911 to work every day when it doesn't demand too many compromises. Also I've never been a wheel gap guy, wheel gap doesn't bother me especially on a daily, I actually want the greater clearance that wheel gap provides. But I get what you like and that's one of the great things about Porsche, you can build it for you.

Last edited by remington; 04-27-2023 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-27-2023, 06:33 PM
Zoomnbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

TYVM!!!

Quick Reply: some thoughts on 1 week of 992 Base Carrera ownership