Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Music on Burmester

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 01:57 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Thanks to this thread, I downloaded the Amazon music app. Previously I’d always streamed via Apple, I notice a much better quality with the Amazon HS choices, so thank you for the thread pointing me in that direction. I hope you get it figured out to your satisfaction faction. I also agree that it needs an EQ, was surprised/disappointed it only had basic Bass/Treble adjustments.
Old 06-28-2023, 02:35 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by fantom557
I am done with Sirius. Which streaming service gives the best quality sound?
I will sometimes purchase and download high-res, high bitrate audio tracks from various sources to listen to on my home system. I really don't think my middle-age ears are capable of hearing most of the added detail.

For streaming, I have subscriptions to Tidal and Spotify. I use Tidal on my home system, via a BlueSound node, where I can perceive some quality difference between Tidal MQA tracks and Spotify's highest format. I can also hear the difference using inexpensive Sony WH-1000XM4 wireless headphones on my computer.

In cars though, I just stream Spotify at its highest quality setting. Because, while I can hear volume differences in between the same song on Tidal and Spotify in cars, I can't really hear any quality difference between the two in cars.

I'm curious to see if that changes w/the Burmester in my incoming Cayenne S. But I doubt it will make much difference except for volume (the same song in Tidal always seems a bit louder than in Spotify). Overall, the Cayenne will just sound more detailed and better regardless of if I use Spotify or Tidal due to the better acoustic environment and more sound deadening in the doors and whatnot.

I suspect that we could spend all the money we want on in-car audio for a 911 and that, due to the poor acoustic environment and the limitations of speaker housings, most of the high-res detail we're paying for is lost. Adding additional sound deadening everywhere probably helps some. People will say otherwise and it's possible I'm wrong.

But I'm reminded of when some engineers set up a blind listening test for some audio industry journalists who promoted outrageously expensive speaker wire. I forget the exact details, but they used some very expensive speaker wire, some inexpensive speaker wire, and a jury-rigged unwound coat hanger.

The results made it clear that, at least over a short distance, nobody could reliably hear the difference between the different speaker wires. The conclusion being that while spending more will provide more reliable production quality, and more insulation from interference over long distance runs, spending $1000s on speaker wire to go 6 feet is largely a complete waste of money.

Last edited by V999; 06-28-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2023, 02:50 PM
unskirted
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 21 Posts

I love the Burmester in my GTS (hits really hard), but do agree the Bose sound stage in the 9Y0 Cayenne is slightly better. But as others have mentioned, the speaker layout and interior environment makes a huge difference. I don't really think its a fair comparison between the two. The Burmesters is hands down better, but does lack the soundstage primary due to how small the car is
Old 06-28-2023, 03:32 PM
L76
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Why would you want to do that if you can plug your phone into car’s usb port (w/BT off)… and still have hands free (through car) calls? Have a BT set of earbuds that u want to take calls from?

cheers,
L76
Old 06-28-2023, 03:35 PM
L76
Instructor

If I could choose the balance (discreet signal, high/low pass filter and slope… e.g. the things you can do with your average $150 Kenwood) between the 12 (?) or so odd speakers… I could DRASTICALLY improve the Burmester in the 992.

L76
Old 06-28-2023, 05:53 PM
zachr
Pro

Received 694 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
@L76 - I hate to say it, I agree. I think the Burmester is so much better than the Bose, but yes, it is one of the few stereos where one song will sound perfect and the next one not so much. I think you hit the nail on the head - it needs an EQ.

I was under the impression that CarPlay used Wifi, not Bluetooth (uses BT to initially connect), but it sounds like the Amazon music is coming through BT - that's not cool. No settings on the app to change that?
You are correct that CarPlay will use WiFi for the audio signal. However, it is not a lossless encoding. it's re-encoded to ~256kbps AAC, if I recall correctly. Amazon music shouldn't have any control over how it is output - CarPlay takes over all of the phone's media audio output.

Originally Posted by minn19
Thanks to this thread, I downloaded the Amazon music app. Previously I’d always streamed via Apple, I notice a much better quality with the Amazon HS choices, so thank you for the thread pointing me in that direction. I hope you get it figured out to your satisfaction faction. I also agree that it needs an EQ, was surprised/disappointed it only had basic Bass/Treble adjustments.
Have you set up Apple Music for hi-res audio? Settings app > Music > Audio Quality. You should be able to set a desired quality for downloads and streams. I've downloaded my entire library with hi-res lossless toggled. If I'm honest, I only notice a slight difference between Apple Music and Spotify's highest quality. It's subtle, and most noticeable at high volumes where I notice the audio is just "cleaner" - less muddied/distorted.

FWIW, using bluetooth or wireless carplay makes this a moot point because both options will re-encode the audio stream with varying degrees of lossiness. I turned off wireless carplay and am now plugging my phone in every time because I want the lossless audio.

Originally Posted by L76
If I could choose the balance (discreet signal, high/low pass filter and slope… e.g. the things you can do with your average $150 Kenwood) between the 12 (?) or so odd speakers… I could DRASTICALLY improve the Burmester in the 992.

L76
@12v Nick might have some solutions for you, if you're looking to throw money at the problem. He's got a Bose upgrade kit that is stellar based on the reviews I've seen here, and probably has the experience to know what the Burmester needs to shine.
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 09:34 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,259 Likes on 608 Posts

I use native Spotify instead of Carplay Spotify because of the graphics. I am curious if there is a difference in sound quality. I have the Burmester.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:09 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 702 Likes on 403 Posts

Wired CarPlay should transfer lossless data. Wireless will not.
hesia (01-10-2024)
Old 06-29-2023, 03:47 PM
L76
Instructor

Default Request to Porsche for Burmester and PCM…

Yup. Use the wired connection. Also submitting an official request to Porsche via this post… please upgrade PCM to include following controls over Burmester:

1. Create a “custom” setting in addition to pure/surround etc. Wherein we …

2. have ability to set balance to each individual speaker (high/low pass filters + slope + level input)

3. have ability to apply various digital processing of our choice in that custom setting (Dolby/atmos/stereo/whatever) that is already licensed in the Burmester system

This should be relatively cheap/easy for Porsche. This is a software solution. They already pay a team to build/manage/upgrade/etc PCM. it’s just writing the next release of PCM software and making it available to vehicle owners who have already licensed/use PCM in their cars. No licensing to audio companies that they have not already paid. This is just writing an interface to give the driver more granular control over their system.

… I’d be curious to see what happens if I were able to pare the Burm down to the 2 door speakers and worked with old fashioned 2 channel stereo separation. 🤪😁

cheers,
L76
bboerit (03-05-2024)
Old 06-29-2023, 06:05 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
But I'm reminded of when some engineers set up a blind listening test for some audio industry journalists who promoted outrageously expensive speaker wire. I forget the exact details, but they used some very expensive speaker wire, some inexpensive speaker wire, and a jury-rigged unwound coat hanger.
I heard this some years back. Recently I tried to find a source for the story and couldn't. You happen to have one?
Old 06-29-2023, 07:04 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I heard this some years back. Recently I tried to find a source for the story and couldn't. You happen to have one?
I did a web search “speaker wire coat hanger test” and found a bunch of articles on the subject, most seemingly confirming what I’d read many years back. But I did not find the original article by the group of engineers who conducted the test.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:45 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 276 Posts

Turning Bluetooth off on my iPhone 15 Pro and going to a wired instead of a wireless connection in CarPlay has been a revelation for me. 2023 Carrera T with Burmester and Apple Music playing lossless songs.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:48 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 117 Posts

Does the Burmester have a built in DAC?
Old 03-01-2024, 05:49 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 276 Posts

Not aware.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:52 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 117 Posts

If not, you’re not getting Hi-Rez playback.

Quick Reply: HD Music on Burmester