Sponsored by:

Slate Gray is Darker than you Think

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 05:35 PM
jaypej
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slate Gray is Darker than you Think

Hello all, I just wanted to upload some pictures and tell you my recent experience of comparing the colors real time at the dealership. I was torn between black and slate gray as I wanted a little bit of contrast inside. The pictures on the USA configurator and pretty much everything I saw online showed them to be almost a few shades darker than chalk. However in real, the slate gray is only a few shades darker than black. Here's some pictures to show how the camera just cannot capture the darkness of slate gray. The first set of photos are slate gray material samples on top of a black interior. The last photo is a material sample. One is black one is slate gray. Bottom line slate gray is more of a darker gray vs a light gray. Feels more black than chalk.

The following users liked this post:
Wilder (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 06:02 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 622 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by jaypej
Hello all, I just wanted to upload some pictures and tell you my recent experience of comparing the colors real time at the dealership. I was torn between black and slate gray as I wanted a little bit of contrast inside. The pictures on the USA configurator and pretty much everything I saw online showed them to be almost a few shades darker than chalk. However in real, the slate gray is only a few shades darker than black. Here's some pictures to show how the camera just cannot capture the darkness of slate gray. The first set of photos are slate gray material samples on top of a black interior. The last photo is a material sample. One is black one is slate gray. Bottom line slate gray is more of a darker gray vs a light gray. Feels more black than chalk.
Huh? How can you get slate gray a "few shades darker than black"?

I had chalk and slate gray in our last vehicle and it was the perfect compliment. I think if you match it with black, well, it looks darker if the black interior/color is predominantly surrounding the small swatch of gray. Inside light, outside light, fluorescent light, LED light - all make a difference.

What did you end up getting?
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (01-06-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 06:23 PM
jaypej
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
Huh? How can you get slate gray a "few shades darker than black"?

I had chalk and slate gray in our last vehicle and it was the perfect compliment. I think if you match it with black, well, it looks darker if the black interior/color is predominantly surrounding the small swatch of gray. Inside light, outside light, fluorescent light, LED light - all make a difference.

What did you end up getting?
I mean the slate gray, in real life, is a few shades darker than black, vs in pics it looks a few shades lighter than chalk. It's hard to decide looking at pics alone. I haven't decided! LOL
Old 01-04-2024, 09:18 PM
Porsche 505
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 28 Posts

This may help. Black with slate gray centers. 2023 992 GTS. I love it!

Last edited by Porsche 505; 01-04-2024 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:48 PM
X-PH.COM - MIKE
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 177 Likes on 162 Posts

I think it looks great, very classy
Old 01-05-2024, 04:51 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Although you've repeated it a couple times already, I think you mean a few shades lighter than black?

Slate grey, generally speaking as color tones can be very subjective, is a dark grey. I don't think anyone should think slate grey would be a lighter tone? Having owned a 992 with slate grey int for 3.5 years and now in a 992 with black int, it's a dramatic difference. Pictures are difficult as it depends so much on the lighting, as seen in the Porsche 505's first 2 pics above. It's a great color though, maybe not so popular in these parts as also noted by the dealership who bought my car.
The following 3 users liked this post by slwong23:
jfb992 (01-05-2024), pkalhan (01-06-2024), PSPorsche (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 08:42 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,191 Posts

My 2021 Slate Grey Leather Interior:

Weathertech Floor Mats

Covid era quick mask access.

100% Brand New

Penalty Box

Last edited by Bluehighways; 01-05-2024 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Slate Gray is Darker than you Think