Carrera T vs. S vs. GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 06:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Carrera T vs. S vs. GTS

Hi all,

I know this has been debated a lot... BUT, I wanna know EXACTLY what is the TECHNICAL differences between these models, NOT STANDARD FEATURES! I find Porsche website is very hard to follow exact technical details, they don't show brake size, or rear diff, etc.. on their technical specs to compare easily.

- Engine
Are they all have the same engine?! Nick Murray claims so. Really? Same Turbo/internal/downpipe/exhaust?

Brakes
- I believe T has the base, small, ugly black brakes. I've seen many complain they don't keep up tracking. What's the cost to upgrade to Carrera S brakes
- Is GTS brakes the same as S?

Standard Suspension/Diff
- Does T come with rear locking diff and Base/S/GTS do not?

Performance upgrades you can't get?!
- Is there anything you're not allowed to option in T (rear steering, etc)

While I think in general T, is a better buy than base, in the used, or barely used market (under 5K miles). S seems to be similar pricing as T, which makes it a better value. I just cannot get over the T tiny brakes under massive wheels, by far the worst aspect of T.

PS. Sorry if all of these are answered, I did some search, but it was mostly opinions than facts.
Old 01-27-2024, 06:36 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 4,482 Likes on 1,838 Posts

There’s no difference.
The following 3 users liked this post by shrimp money:
cwbrown (01-28-2024), Denny Swift (01-29-2024), VarTheVar (01-29-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 06:37 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
There’s no difference.
So, all 4 engines are exactly the same, just different boost levels?!
Old 01-27-2024, 06:42 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,738 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Hi all,

I know this has been debated a lot... BUT, I wanna know EXACTLY what is the TECHNICAL differences between these models, NOT STANDARD FEATURES! I find Porsche website is very hard to follow exact technical details, they don't show brake size, or rear diff, etc.. on their technical specs to compare easily.

- Engine
Are they all have the same engine?! Nick Murray claims so. Really? Same Turbo/internal/downpipe/exhaust?

Brakes
- I believe T has the base, small, ugly black brakes. I've seen many complain they don't keep up tracking. What's the cost to upgrade to Carrera S brakes

Standard Suspension/Diff

While I think in general T, is a better buy than base, in the used, or barely used market (under 5K miles). S seems to be similar pricing as T, which makes it a better value. I just cannot get over the T tiny brakes under massive wheels, by far the worst aspect of T.

PS. Sorry if all of these are answered, I did some search, but it was mostly opinions than facts.

S/GTS are mechanical the same in the engine bay with the same turbos. They are differentiated by the tune. While the engines themselves are very similar between the base/T and the S/GTS, it is my understanding that they are not identical.

With regards to brakes, the Base brakes are entirely adequate. S gets bigger brakes. GTS brakes come from the Turbo. GTS also gets the helper springs from the Turbo.

Base RWD is the only variant that doesn’t have LSD available or as an option. Base 4 has it as an option. Standard on all higher trims.

Base is the only trim where so called performance options are unavailable. This is where the T gets special treatment.

If you want a manual transmission with the Base engine, this is why the T exists for the 992 generation. A lightly optioned T is a great car. If you’re spec’ing a T into S territory, just get the S for the bigger brakes and more power. Note that the peak power and torque numbers don’t tell the full story — the S is substantially beefier in the lower revs. The GTS is an incremental bump over the S in this regard.
The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
alexb76 (01-27-2024), Drewsky00 (01-30-2024), Fullyield (01-28-2024), YL2020 (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 06:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
S/GTS are mechanical the same in the engine bay with the same turbos. They are differentiated by the tune. While the engines themselves are very similar between the base/T and the S/GTS, it is my understanding that they are not identical.

With regards to brakes, the Base brakes are entirely adequate. S gets bigger brakes. GTS brakes come from the Turbo. GTS also gets the helper springs from the Turbo.

Base RWD is the only variant that doesn’t have LSD available or as an option. Base 4 has it as an option. Standard on all higher trims.

Base is the only trim where so called performance options are unavailable. This is where the T gets special treatment.

If you want a manual transmission with the Base engine, this is why the T exists for the 992 generation. A lightly optioned T is a great car. If you’re spec’ing a T into S territory, just get the S for the bigger brakes and more power. Note that the peak power and torque numbers don’t tell the full story — the S is substantially beefier in the lower revs. The GTS is an incremental bump over the S in this regard.
Thanks so much, exactly what I was looking for. I just looked at curb weights, and there's 10kg difference between Carrera and Carrera S, probably most due to larger brakes, and I assume larger standard wheels, but unclear is any internal is different.

As far as brakes on T, I am sure they're great for street, but I've seen quite a few post of them not working well on track. They also look tiny in the larger wheels.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-28-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 07:00 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,124 Likes on 409 Posts

Thanks so much, exactly what I was looking for. I just looked at curb weights, and there's 10kg difference between Carrera and Carrera S, probably most due to larger brakes, and I assume larger standard wheels, but unclear is any internal is different.

As far as brakes on T, I am sure they're great for street, but I've seen quite a few post of them not working well on track. They also look tiny in the larger wheels.
T brakes are fine for the track with a simple pad swap.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fishah:
CamsPorsche (01-27-2024), detansinn (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 08:05 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

Hi all,

- Engine
Are they all have the same engine?! Nick Murray claims so. Really? Same Turbo/internal/downpipe/exhaust? <<< Same long block but the S/GTS has a larger turbocharger and the GTS is tuned for a little more boost than the S.

Brakes
- I believe T has the base, small, ugly black brakes. I've seen many complain they don't keep up tracking. What's the cost to upgrade to Carrera S brakes <<< If you are going to upgrade the brakes for track go with something aftermarket without dust boots. They tend to degrade and need replacing if you track regularly. Cost will depend on new vs. used and OEM vs. Aftermarket

- Is GTS brakes the same as S? <<< No the GTS gets the brakes from the Turbo

Standard Suspension/Diff
- Does T come with rear locking diff and Base/S/GTS do not? << The Base doesn't come with the locker, but I believe the S/GTS do if you spec the manual. Base PDK gets an Open and S/GTS get an E-diff (AFAIK)

- Is there anything you're not allowed to option in T (rear steering, etc) <<<< Center lock wheels, bigger brakes, PDCC (If you consider it a performance upgrade), the GTS has a helper spring in the susp.

I tried to answer in bold to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by Mike818; 01-27-2024 at 08:26 PM.
alexb76 (01-28-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 10:21 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,692 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn

good summary
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
alexb76 (01-28-2024), detansinn (01-28-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 10:22 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,692 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishah
T brakes are fine for the track with a simple pad swap.
and truth be told the S brakes are the same, i.e. fine for the track with a simple pad swap. The standard pads are ‘ok’ up to a point.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:34 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 106 Posts

Hi all,

- Engine

Brakes

Standard Suspension/Diff

What are you trying to accomplish?

You should get the GTS, if not possible, then S and finally T.
incoming992s (01-31-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 01:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,861 Likes on 4,809 Posts

They're all the same.

Only the badging on the rear deck is different.

Porsche is punking all of us. Charging us extra for "GTS" lettering and what-not. SMH.

#TryTheConfigurator
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (01-28-2024), detansinn (01-28-2024), gator99sky (01-28-2024), TheSunTheSea (01-28-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 04:25 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike818
I tried to answer in bold to the best of my knowledge.
Are they all have the same engine?! Nick Murray claims so. Really? Same Turbo/internal/downpipe/exhaust? <<< Same long block but the S/GTS has a larger turbocharger and the GTS is tuned for a little more boost than the S.
Thanks, so is the S/GTS turbos the same or different? Others think it's the same?!
Old 01-28-2024, 04:27 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
What are you trying to accomplish?

You should get the GTS, if not possible, then S and finally T.
Biggest bang for the buck! I believe 992 or 992.2 would be last ICE Porsche worth buying and keeping. So would like a long-term 911 to do it all. BUT, prices are so insane out of hands, specially the ridiculous options since my 997 times, I rather get the best technical platform for the money I can get.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:27 AM
jhenson29
Burning Brakes

Received 1,087 Likes on 429 Posts

Thanks, so is the S/GTS turbos the same or different? Others think it's the same?!
Same turbos. GTS has more boost.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:08 PM
someforumguy
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

T is best. Dont waste money on anything more than that unless getting GT3/Turbo S.

Quick Reply: Carrera T vs. S vs. GTS