Auto-blip Rev Match What The?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 11:59 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,855 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I have this on mine but I never use it. My brain cannot compute doing this; too much muscle memory to overcome.

At a certain point, it just becomes PDK with a lever.
We've already reached that point with the 7MT.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:13 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,258 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishah
Fyi Brake Pads are cheaper than clutch jobs.
I knew someone was going to say "brakes are cheaper than clutches". After 40 years of downshifting to slow down, I have never had a clutch that showed any sign of wear. These are not violent downshifts, but gradual feathering to slow down-as far as I can tell, just negligible wear on the clutch-a non issue if not abused.
The following 2 users liked this post by Staffie Guy:
KLOC (02-03-2024), notcarbonated (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 12:43 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,123 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Agree with everything you said except this - this is not exactly true. You won't lock up the rear end but you can exceed the coefficient of friction between the tires and the ground. The rear wheels will still be spinning but at a slower speed than what normal "ground speed" would be. You'll actually "drag" the slower spinning wheels until speeds match again. So - not a good handling situation but not as severe as a true lock up of the rear wheels.
Agree 100%. Thanks for the correction. I just used the term lock up because it helps most folks can understand the implications of the situation; your rear end is gonna walk away.

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I knew someone was going to say "brakes are cheaper than clutches". After 40 years of downshifting to slow down, I have never had a clutch that showed any sign of wear. These are not violent downshifts, but gradual feathering to slow down-as far as I can tell, just negligible wear on the clutch-a non issue if not abused.
Sounds like you're swapping cars before it becomes your problem lol.
Old 02-02-2024, 01:55 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,258 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishah
Agree 100%. Thanks for the correction. I just used the term lock up because it helps most folks can understand the implications of the situation; your rear end is gonna walk away.

Sounds like you're swapping cars before it becomes your problem lol.
These are daily drivers that go 70-90K before getting rid of them. Usually cheap cars that I had used to commute in a bad area.
The following users liked this post:
Fishah (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 02:19 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BaxterPup
As I don't possess the skill of Walter Rohrl to dance on the pedals for blipping the throttle myself for smooth downshifts, I have auto-blip on all the time and love it!
AMEN!
Old 02-02-2024, 02:20 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BaxterPup
As I don't possess the skill of Walter Rohrl to dance on the pedals for blipping the throttle myself for smooth downshifts, I have auto-blip on all the time and love it!
AMEN!
Old 02-02-2024, 09:22 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 684 Likes on 275 Posts

This is an odd thread. Blipping the throttle is one thing, but double clutching downshifts is what we are talking about. It seems the thread starter is not familiar with this technique which a must for performance driving of a manual transmission car.

The auto rev match feature is awesome, because double clutching is difficult to do when NOT pushing hard on the brakes. You loose the stable brake pedal for your toes while trying to blip the throttle pedal with your heel. So for daily driving it's a nice feature to have.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:25 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 644 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
This is an odd thread. Blipping the throttle is one thing, but double clutching downshifts is what we are talking about. It seems the thread starter is not familiar with this technique which a must for performance driving of a manual transmission car.

The auto rev match feature is awesome, because double clutching is difficult to do when NOT pushing hard on the brakes. You loose the stable brake pedal for your toes while trying to blip the throttle pedal with your heel. So for daily driving it's a nice feature to have.

Just my 2 cents.
I don't think you understand what double clutching means. Or you're using the wrong terminology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double...ing_(technique)

We're just referring to rev-matching here.

Last edited by Ikone; 02-02-2024 at 10:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
AlterZgo (02-02-2024), CanAutM3 (02-04-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 10:29 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,885 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredeee
Ok... total newb question here. My first 911 (I have a '24 4 GTS). It has a feature called "auto-blip" which, from what I understand, helps you rev-match on downshifts. For those like me who have driven manuals for a billion years and never heard of it, the engine engages when you shift into gear, not when you pull off the clutch. It's weird, especially for those that are used to downshifting to slow the car or just simply downshifting when entering slower traffic. Question, who in God's name actually uses this (it's default in Sport and Sport Plus) or am I completely out of touch with how the 911 drives.
When driving prior manuals without the auto rev matching did you manually rev match to downshift? Or did you just shift to a lower gear and feathered the clutch and let the engine braking slow the car? Many people who do not manually rev match their downshifts think auto-blip is bad because they don't get that lurching slowing feel from engine braking as strong with auto-blip on, but the reality is, it just meant they never drove their manual car properly because the proper way to downshift is to rev match (manually or via auto-blip).

I always manually rev match my downshifts in my prior manual cars and in my 992, with auto blip on, it feels perfectly natural and much easier to do particuarly when braking and downshifting b/c I don't have to fuss w/ heel-toe braking and clutching simultaneously which I can never quite do smoothly.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:54 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,235 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD

Just my 2 cents.
Seriously, people out here granny shifting not double clutching like they should.
The following 4 users liked this post by rk-d:
SBAD (02-03-2024), spdracerut (02-03-2024), TK42ONE (02-05-2024), vasmir (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 11:00 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,235 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
When driving prior manuals without the auto rev matching did you manually rev match to downshift? Or did you just shift to a lower gear and feathered the clutch and let the engine braking slow the car? Many people who do not manually rev match their downshifts think auto-blip is bad because they don't get that lurching slowing feel from engine braking as strong with auto-blip on, but the reality is, it just meant they never drove their manual car properly because the proper way to downshift is to rev match (manually or via auto-blip).

I always manually rev match my downshifts in my prior manual cars and in my 992, with auto blip on, it feels perfectly natural and much easier to do particuarly when braking and downshifting b/c I don't have to fuss w/ heel-toe braking and clutching simultaneously which I can never quite do smoothly.
I only ever learned to shift rev matching - it's actually really unnatural feeling for me to use the clutch to bleed off engine speed.

It's interesting that the whole auto-blip vs anti auto-blip splits into camps like PDK vs manual. There is always someone who is more "pure".

I get the attraction of auto-blip - I use it when when I'm just trying to get from point A to B and after playing around with the no lift upshift today, I could see how this would be a really nice convenience with that kind of driving (or ironically if I was trying to extract maximum performance because there is no way I can come close to the perfection of auto-blip).

Otherwise, when I'm playing around and really focusing on driving, I like modulating the throttle and clutch. Just feels a little more old school and analog.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:02 PM
Fredeee
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been driving sticks for 35+ years and have never needed to change a clutch, and always used my engine to slow down when needed. Now with that said, I've never owned a car like a 911 so hence my post. Sounds like this is a different beast. Lots of helpful info here, I'm gonna put some winters on my GTS on Monday so I can finally drive this thing in sub 40 degree weather and relearn how to drive a manual, it seems I've been missing something all these years and appreciate the input.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:04 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,692 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Been driving sticks for 35+ years and have never needed to change a clutch, and always used my engine to slow down when needed. Now with that said, I've never owned a car like a 911 so hence my post. Sounds like this is a different beast. Lots of helpful info here, I'm gonna put some winters on my GTS on Monday so I can finally drive this thing in sub 40 degree weather and relearn how to drive a manual, it seems I've been missing something all these years and appreciate the input.
I’ve been driving manuals for 50 years and learnt many years ago to manually rev-match on a downshift, it was just muscle memory. At first I thought the 992 rev-match was going to be a problem but it’s not. I use it all the time, my brian quickly adjusted.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:14 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,692 Likes on 1,428 Posts

https://www.motor1.com/features/7070...kIkit7-Gqtath0
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
dixonk (02-03-2024), TK42ONE (02-05-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 09:09 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 570 Likes on 261 Posts

I've driven a MT for 40 years (1st car was a Acura Integra 5MT) and learned to rev match and H-T decades ago. That said, I use auto-blip all the time now. Partly because I'm a bit too lazy to go through the PCM to turn auto-blip off when in "sport" mode plus I found the perfect rev-matched downshifts unexpectedly delightful. When I get the inclination to manually rev-match and H-T (about 1 in 10 drives), I do, but the majority of time I'm in "sport" with auto-blip on now.

Get that winter rubber on and enjoy your GTS in the winter!

The following users liked this post:
Fredeee (02-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Auto-blip Rev Match What The?