Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Base 992 Carrera Owner: Winter wheel set

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 05:23 AM
Jim Wilke
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 79 Posts

'20 911 C4S, stock 20/21 wheels, Michelin Pilot Alpins. Anchorage, Alaska neighborhood.

Old 02-03-2024, 08:44 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
All season tires on a 911 is akin to using a screw driver to perform surgery.

It is gullible to think that all season tires and "driving slow and carefully" is safe in sub freezing temperatures. Good luck getting in an accident and having your insurance cover your car. The name "all-season" is deceiving. They are completely inadequate for winter use. Please educate yourself rather than assume.

https://youtu.be/GlYEMH10Z4s?si=KobTafX6fKHh-zUY
Total nonsense. A test on an ice rink? Gtfo. Insurance now won't cover your car if you run all seasons? Where do people come up with this bs.

All seasons are perfectly fine for about 85% of the conditions faced by the average driver, the 15% being severe ice or heavy snow. Given the weather patterns in NJ lately, all seasons would be an excellent solution.

Last edited by Quadcammer; 02-03-2024 at 08:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quadcammer:
Denny Swift (02-03-2024), Shr (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 08:48 AM
bizzakka
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Total nonsense. A test on an ice rink? Gtfo. Insurance now won't cover your car if you run all seasons? Where do people come up with this bs.

All seasons are perfectly fine for about 85% of the conditions faced by the average driver, the 15% being severe ice or heavy snow. Given the weather patterns in NJ lately, all seasons would be an excellent solution.

all this said, I can’t find all seasons for my 20/21 Turbo wheels. The linked all seasons were for 19/20 wheels.

I am going to look for a wheel set today at local dealerships.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:20 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Shr
I have honestly been thinking about this whole winter/summer thing as well and I think that for me, the best solution is just going to be using all seasons.
I don't track the car or drive it aggressively so I think all seasons is a good compromise for me.
Much less of a hassle even though I don't drive the car a lot (about 2k miles per year) and perhaps extra piece of mind.
Then again I don't drive that much in winter (because of the salt) and have other cars so I could get away with only using summer tires on the 911.
But to each it's own
tires on a car are the most important thing man. on a 911 it crucial. this is a horrible idea. summer = summer tires, winter = winter tires. simple as that.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:25 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzakka
all this said, I can’t find all seasons for my 20/21 Turbo wheels. The linked all seasons were for 19/20 wheels.

I am going to look for a wheel set today at local dealerships.
suncoast should have a winter tires set. that is where i got mine. they even come mounted and balanced. can't be any easier then that!

enjoy.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:28 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 570 Likes on 261 Posts

It is gullible to think that all season tires and "driving slow and carefully" is safe in sub freezing temperatures. Good luck getting in an accident and having your insurance cover your car. The name "all-season" is deceiving. They are completely inadequate for winter use. Please educate yourself rather than assume.
I am absolutely a firm believer in dedicated winter tires for the winter (I live in Chicagoland). There is absolutely no doubt that dedicated winter tires have far superior grip than AS tires in the snow and ice. Nothing is all pro and no con though, and one has to accept that the drive feel in cold dry conditions or cool dry (>40F) conditions is more squishy in WT than AS.

But, the other unsaid thing about using winter tires is that summer max performance tires are IMO far superior in temperate dry conditions than AS in the summer, and I'm not willing to give up that max grip feel in the summer with AS tires. So, for me, it's dedicated winter tire/wheels from mid November through March at least and summer tire/wheels the rest of the year for enjoyment sake with the 911.

This all said, I've never heard of an insurance company denying coverage for an accident on AS tires? I do wonder if some yahoo decided to try to drive in freezing temps on snow/ice on summer tires and got into an accident if insurance would balk. Then again, it's unlikely that yahoo would have gotten more than a few yards from where he/she was parked with no grip.

Last edited by alin2; 02-03-2024 at 09:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jbl16 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 09:59 AM
jbl16
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

The sound of ignorance.
Exactly. @Shr should give them a shot one year. The braking performance alone in slush/snow and even light ice is staggering.

Last edited by jbl16; 02-03-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Wilder (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 11:34 AM
Drstimpy2!
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

My first purchase for my C4S was a second wheelset and winter tires. I’m in SE MA and face similar conditions. I love driving in the winter so that’s what works for me. I have an active thread on all season options if you want to scroll a bit. For me, the all seasons might be superior to my current Alpin 5 set because my winters are mild and it’s not uncommon to find a 60+ degree day in the middle of winter to smoke your winter tires. All my tires are new now so the tire experiment will be coming next year.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:56 PM
aspan
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 29 Posts

For the record, I have and am running Goodyear Ultra-grips. However, being in the Pacific North West, we get snow once, maybe twice a year and average temps for all winter months are above 40 f. All highways leading out of town do require “snowflake” tires Nov.1 - Mar.30 to be legal, hence the Goodyears. Thinking all-seasons might be the better tire during the winter months given the median temps I encounter. Snow days I take my F-150 as no one here knows how to drive in the wet, heavy snow we do receive. Would love to take the GTS out but am terrified of the other driver.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:19 PM
Shr
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl16
Exactly. @Shr should give them a shot one year. The braking performance alone in slush/snow and even light ice is staggering.
By the gods...
How,
Why
You people don't understand context, right?
There is no snow on the street, no slush, no ice
We got like maybe 3 days of snow this year and it was gone almost immediately.
In those conditions, winter tires are overkill
And in the event that there is snow on the road?
I literally have others cars or the option of not driving, because 100% of my driving is for pleasure. I don't commute or need to go anywhere.
Originally Posted by tmslc
tires on a car are the most important thing man. on a 911 it crucial. this is a horrible idea. summer = summer tires, winter = winter tires. simple as that.
And what about spring? Spring tires? What if you have an solar eclipse? Let me get you some eclipse tires.

jlegelis (02-04-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 05:33 PM
F250to911
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

It is gullible to think that all season tires and "driving slow and carefully" is safe in sub freezing temperatures. Good luck getting in an accident and having your insurance cover your car.
Yeah, that is complete BS. 90 percent of all vehicles sold in the US come standard with All Season tires. Insurance companies don't deny coverage for using All Season tires in winter. If they did then most of the winter accidents would be denied insurance coverage because most people are running with the All Season tires that their car came with. My F-250 came with all seasons and I don't change them out for winter tires. I live at 8000 feet and deal with about 10' of snow a year. Hardly ever had an issue with the tires except in very severe winter weather and in those cases I am not on the road. I certainly wouldn't be driving my Porsche on the road in severe winter weather.

Having said that, I have a set of winter tires that I use on my 911 during the winter and changing them over isn't difficult.

Last edited by F250to911; 02-03-2024 at 05:36 PM.
jbl16 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 07:04 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

1. the level of ignorance regarding tires and their importance in this car forum is stupefying.
2. the amount of ******** driving in the snow with all-season tires is scary and they cause most of the avoidable accidents in the snow, AWD or not.

I'd never put all-weather tires in my cars but at least they'd be ok in the snow. All-season tires should be relabeled three-season tires because that's actually what they are.

I guess some people also think it's okay to run a marathon in loafers. Play golf with a hockey stick? Perhaps play basketball with a soccer ball...
Why would anyone buy a scalpel of a performance car and then nutter their ability to use that performance while also putting their car at risk? To save some money on their $150k car. Brilliant!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
jbl16 (02-03-2024), tmslc (02-04-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 08:13 PM
Shr
Advanced

1. the level of ignorance regarding tires and their importance in this car forum is stupefying.
2. the amount of ******** driving in the snow with all-season tires is scary and they cause most of the avoidable accidents in the snow, AWD or not.

I'd never put all-weather tires in my cars but at least they'd be ok in the snow. All-season tires should be relabeled three-season tires because that's actually what they are.

I guess some people also think it's okay to run a marathon in loafers. Play golf with a hockey stick? Perhaps play basketball with a soccer ball...
Why would anyone buy a scalpel of a performance car and then nutter their ability to use that performance while also putting their car at risk? To save some money on their $150k car. Brilliant!
Ok, let me just try one last time, because at this point I think people are either trolls or...stupid

This is what winter looks like 95% of the time where I live
I took this picture today, middle of "winter"
Do you see snow? Sludge? Ice?
Why on earth do I need winter tires?
If you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow sure, maybe you need them.
Also, precision driving? On the road? No, just no, stop driving like that. Go to a track and do precision driving there.
I see a lot of people doing that aka as driving like an ***.
You are not a a freaking racing driver, every driver in the road overestimates their own driving capabilities and this is what causes a lot of accidents.
You don't need maximum track performance to get your groceries or go to work, just stop.
This whole thing reminds me of the other thread where the guy lost control of his car doing 80 mph during a downpour and there where a lot of condescending responses about learning how to drive instead of just...not freaking driving at 80mph during a downpour or at all, because you know...common sense.

Last edited by Shr; 02-03-2024 at 08:17 PM.
jlegelis (02-04-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 09:09 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by Shr
Ok, let me just try one last time, because at this point I think people are either trolls or...stupid

This is what winter looks like 95% of the time where I live
I took this picture today, middle of "winter"
Do you see snow? Sludge? Ice?
Why on earth do I need winter tires?
If you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow sure, maybe you need them.
Also, precision driving? On the road? No, just no, stop driving like that. Go to a track and do precision driving there.
I see a lot of people doing that aka as driving like an ***.
You are not a a freaking racing driver, every driver in the road overestimates their own driving capabilities and this is what causes a lot of accidents.
You don't need maximum track performance to get your groceries or go to work, just stop.
This whole thing reminds me of the other thread where the guy lost control of his car doing 80 mph during a downpour and there where a lot of condescending responses about learning how to drive instead of just...not freaking driving at 80mph during a downpour or at all, because you know...common sense.
Trolls or stupid is right. I very specifically posted in the context of snow, not winter. Go back and read my posts. Nobody living in climates above freezing temps needs winter or all season tires, ever. Also, you bought a 911 to pussyfoot on your way to the grocery store and work? Don't even bother explaining the rest of your logic to me. And yes, I am a track and autocross instructor, which is why I also understand first hand the importance of tires.

Lastly, and I'm not surprised at all, nice ASSumptions you made regarding my hydroplaning experience on the other thread. You have no idea where, how or why I was driving because I didn't post that info. Cute how you turned my drizzle into a downpour. Drama queen much? It helps to think about what you're going to post before you post it.

Cute cab btw...
jbl16 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 10:01 PM
Shr
Advanced

Trolls or stupid is right. I very specifically posted in the context of snow, not winter. Go back and read my posts. Nobody living in climates above freezing temps needs winter or all season tires, ever.
Then why say anything in this thread?
The OP lives in NJ and winters there are pretty mild (I lived in Elizabeth for years before moving to NY)
And it is the same where I live, very mild winters, we get little snow, some cold. This is why context is important. You don't need to shout in every thread about winter tires without considering where the person asking lives.
Also, you bought a 911 to pussyfoot on your way to the grocery store and work? Don't even bother explaining the rest of your logic to me.
It is just a car... I use it for car things, why wouldn't I?
It is great for picking oversized items from home Depot, it being a convertible. Or picking groceries.

Or a pizza
I don't break the law and pride myself on never ever getting a ticket, warning or even being stopped.
Yes, I drive like a boring old person in the streets and I believe everyone should as well.
You hooligans!

And yes, I am a track and autocross instructor, which is why I also understand first hand the importance of tires.
is this...a humblebrag?
I don't internet much, so I don't know how to react to this.
Good for you I guess

Lastly, and I'm not surprised at all, nice ASSumptions you made regarding my hydroplaning experience on the other thread. You have no idea where, how or why I was driving because I didn't post that info. Cute how you turned my drizzle into a downpour. Drama queen much? It helps to think about what you're going to post before you post it.
Ohh, that was you?
Sorry for your loss and at least you came out of that well, it could have been worse.
But... maybe drive slower next time?
You can still hydroplane at slower speeds but what happens after can be entirely different.
My annoyance wasn't with you but with all the other people that started suggesting that you should learn to drive better. It is a sucky attitude, accidents happen. I feel like some people with modern cars are too overconfident about their cars and their tech and tend to drive more aggressively that they should.
Cute cab btw...
Thanks, hopefully you can get yours fixed.
I have been in accidents before (got t boned by an SUV years ago) and it was never the same for me afterwards.
Edit:
Wait, is there another hydroplane thread?
Because the one I was talking about you are not the OP unless you have multiple accounts

So, short story, I was not talking about you, assume much?

Last edited by Shr; 02-03-2024 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: New Base 992 Carrera Owner: Winter wheel set