Sponsored by:

New Base 992 Carrera Owner: Winter wheel set

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 12:45 PM
bizzakka
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Base 992 Carrera Owner: Winter wheel set

I bought a 2022 CPO (base) C2 992 last week. I live in northern NJ, within about 30 minutes from NYC. It gets cold and sometimes snowy here.

It came with 20/21in Turbo wheels, with Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric tires, which are fairly new. The car has regular brakes as far as I know (not ceramic) - they certainly did not say ceramic on the spec sheet.

I have never owned a 911, nor even any Porsche, before. I am loving this car, and I want to drive it!

The Goodyears are summer tires and looking at them on TireRack I see that it is not recommended to drive, or even store, them at near 0 temperatures. Our BMW X3 runs on all-season tires all year round, so I am new to this.

I am wondering if I should buy the 19/20in Winter Wheel Set, and install it myself. I would have to buy a jack, jack stands, a torque wrench, a bar and perhaps jack pucks as well - I have never actually changed wheels on any car myself earlier. I could also just get them installed by a local mechanic.

1. Will this set fit my car?
2. Would you recommend buying it for around $5k?
3. Should I attempt installation at home and what should I buy for that?
Old 02-02-2024, 12:52 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 722 Posts

So yes, that is the set you would want for your 992 C2...

I also run winters on my targa 4S (same exact tires btw) - and swap them out in winter and then back in spring. I have all the tools, lifts, etc. in my garage (takes me about 1 hour) for the swap. Pretty easy DYI.

However, What I would do if I were you, since you don't have all the tools/gear, and are somewhat new to changing it out. Go to your dealer, and show them the best price you can get on the winter set from sun coast or wherever. They usually will match the price.

Tell them you want them to do the swap, and store your tires (most do this) and they do not usually charge to store, only doing the swap at a 100 or so per swap. Many do that, as they do not want to store the tires, or have room - and maybe not having the tools, etc. It is absolutely fine to have the dealer do the swap and store the tires for you. Also if you tie this in with your yearly service interval, you really are only doing one extra trip in the spring or early winter (whatever you normal timeline is) - so really not a big hassle to head to the dealer to do it.

PS. You will love how your C2 handles with proper winter tires on it, as good as any car really - like they were made to drive in snow/cold!
The following users liked this post:
jbl16 (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 02:50 PM
PetePorscheSD
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can wait 6 months... I have a 2024 Targa 4 arriving Aug. 3rd. and you can purchase my 19"/20" OEM's rims for a good price?

The OEM's will be pulled off as soon as I take delivery and replaced with some HRE rims in same diameter.

Last edited by PetePorscheSD; 02-02-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:30 PM
Shr
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I have honestly been thinking about this whole winter/summer thing as well and I think that for me, the best solution is just going to be using all seasons.
I don't track the car or drive it aggressively so I think all seasons is a good compromise for me.
Much less of a hassle even though I don't drive the car a lot (about 2k miles per year) and perhaps extra piece of mind.
Then again I don't drive that much in winter (because of the salt) and have other cars so I could get away with only using summer tires on the 911.
But to each it's own
Old 02-02-2024, 07:03 PM
bizzakka
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shr
I have honestly been thinking about this whole winter/summer thing as well and I think that for me, the best solution is just going to be using all seasons.
I don't track the car or drive it aggressively so I think all seasons is a good compromise for me.
Much less of a hassle even though I don't drive the car a lot (about 2k miles per year) and perhaps extra piece of mind.
Then again I don't drive that much in winter (because of the salt) and have other cars so I could get away with only using summer tires on the 911.
But to each it's own
As far as I could see, there are no all seasons for this car. There is a thread somewhere of the sacrilege of even thinking of that.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:37 PM
Shr
Advanced

Originally Posted by bizzakka
As far as I could see, there are no all seasons for this car. There is a thread somewhere of the sacrilege of even thinking of that.
Of course there are all seasons that will fit.
Like these
PS4 all seasons
Are they good? No idea.
Are they a sacrilege?
It is your car, other's opinions don't matter, enjoy it however you want.
People are always going to be opinionated, specially on the Internet, don't let that discourage you.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:39 PM
dudeoverthere
Pro

Received 538 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzakka
Old 02-02-2024, 08:48 PM
jbl16
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

Forget about all seasons, if you can afford a second wheel/tire set to run winter tires. This way you will get the best performance in every season. I do it in my garage, and I have centerlocks, it takes about an hour.

Last edited by jbl16; 02-02-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Drstimpy2! (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 09:46 PM
Shr
Advanced

Originally Posted by jbl16
Forget about all seasons, if you can afford a second wheel/tire set to run winter tires. This way you will get the best performance in every season. I do it in my garage, and I have centerlocks, it takes about an hour.
Money isn't the problem, people who can afford the car can afford the tires.
What if you don't have a garage or don't feel inclined to do it yourself, or whatever.
Your solution might work for you but not others, just let everyone do their thing.
​​​​​All seasons are fine in pretty much every car, they are fine in that one too, for every day driving in most conditions which is what most people do in their cars.
I just don't get why people are so set in this.
I just don't want to deal with the extra hassle. I am not a diy guy and I am not interested in becoming one. If you are and it works for you, good.
Just let people do their thing and move along.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:04 PM
jbl16
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

Dealerships and tire places will swap and store for you. Do whatever you want, it's my opinion. Look at any objective comparison all seasons are a compromise in every season. Newer all weather tires are better than all seasons in northern climates. There are no all weather tires for our cars currently. New jersey gets cold, winter tires will get him the best dry/wet and braking performance in those conditions.
Originally Posted by Shr
Money isn't the problem, people who can afford the car can afford the tires.
What if you don't have a garage or don't feel inclined to do it yourself, or whatever.
Your solution might work for you but not others, just let everyone do their thing.
​​​​​All seasons are fine in pretty much every car, they are fine in that one too, for every day driving in most conditions which is what most people do in their cars.
I just don't get why people are so set in this.
I just don't want to deal with the extra hassle. I am not a diy guy and I am not interested in becoming one. If you are and it works for you, good.
Just let people do their thing and move along.

Last edited by jbl16; 02-02-2024 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:35 PM
Shr
Advanced

Originally Posted by jbl16
Dealerships and tire places will swap and store for you. Do whatever you want, it's my opinion. Look at any objective comparison all seasons are a compromise in every season. Newer all weather tires are better than all seasons in northern climates. There are no all weather tires for our cars currently. New jersey gets cold, winter tires will get him the best dry/wet and braking performance in those conditions.
Not near where I live. I asked both the dealership and some tire shops already. They don't offer to store it for you.
I live in NY, it gets cold here too and pretty much every car in the road drives all seasons and manages.
You don't need maximum anything for every day driving and if you do...maybe the problem is your driving. Drive slow and carefully and be aware of your surroundings. Accidents do happen but most aren't because you needed maximum braking performance.
Just... don't drive like a maniac and avoid those who do

Last edited by Shr; 02-02-2024 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:57 PM
Crusje
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=Shr;19257728]Not near where I
Originally Posted by Shr
Not near where I live. I asked both the dealership and some tire shops already. They don't offer to store it for you.
I live in NY, it gets cold here too and pretty much every car in the road drives all seasons and manages.
You don't need maximum anything for every day driving and if you do...maybe the problem is your driving. Drive slow and carefully and be aware of your surroundings. Accidents do happen but most aren't because you needed maximum braking performance.
Just... don't drive like a maniac and avoid those who do
Winter tires are objectively better. I had winters when I was upstate and drove in blizzards no problem. Carpooled with a friend for a clinical rotation and we couldn't leave Cooperstown once because it was snowing/icy and the uphill climb was too much for his all seasons. Now I'm downstate and it barely snows so I haven't bothered. If you live in a colder, high snowfall area like Syracuse or Oswego, you'd be stupid not to get a set. Can't avoid other drivers when you have no grip.

Last edited by Crusje; 02-02-2024 at 11:58 PM.
jbl16 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 12:39 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

All season tires on a 911 is akin to using a screw driver to perform surgery.

It is gullible to think that all season tires and "driving slow and carefully" is safe in sub freezing temperatures. Good luck getting in an accident and having your insurance cover your car. The name "all-season" is deceiving. They are completely inadequate for winter use. Please educate yourself rather than assume.

jbl16 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 02:56 AM
Shr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crusje

Winter tires are objectively better. I had winters when I was upstate and drove in blizzards no problem. Carpooled with a friend for a clinical rotation and we couldn't leave Cooperstown once because it was snowing/icy and the uphill climb was too much for his all seasons. Now I'm downstate and it barely snows so I haven't bothered. If you live in a colder, high snowfall area like Syracuse or Oswego, you'd be stupid not to get a set. Can't avoid other drivers when you have no grip.
Yeah, mate, maybe for you it makes sense.
But for me?
I don't drive in a snow storm, I would not consider doing it in any vehicle...seems like a stupid idea.

We get snow but it is plowed afterwards.
It literally makes no sense for me, which is what I said from the beginning.
If you live and drive in a place with lots of snow and your streets are filled with snow and you don't have a better vehicle to use? Sure, go ahead and do whatever.
But for most people in the world is just nonsense.
Nobody is debating that all season are better than winter tires in the snow.
They are a compromise and for 90% of situations they are a good enough compromise.

Originally Posted by Wilder
All season tires on a 911 is akin to using a screw driver to perform surgery. It is gullible to think that all season tires and "driving slow and carefully" is safe in sub freezing temperatures. Good luck getting in an accident and having your insurance cover your car. The name "all-season" is deceiving. They are completely inadequate for winter use. Please educate yourself rather than assume. https://youtu.be/GlYEMH10Z4s?si=KobTafX6fKHh-zUY
Yeah mate because everyone else on the road drives on winter tires... Are you serious? LolAnd the fact you think the insurance will be like:
Oh my lord, it was negative 5 celcius and you plebeian didn't have winter tires? You have been denied, you peasant!!
Jesus, I am going to start thinking you are in it with Big Tire
This forum sometimes

Old 02-03-2024, 04:04 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by Shr
Yeah mate because everyone else on the road drives on winter tires... Are you serious? LolAnd the fact you think the insurance will be like:
Oh my lord, it was negative 5 celcius and you plebeian didn't have winter tires? You have been denied, you peasant!!
Jesus, I am going to start thinking you are in it with Big Tire
This forum sometimes
The sound of ignorance.

Quick Reply: New Base 992 Carrera Owner: Winter wheel set