Sponsored by:

992 GTS - PCCB upgrade or na?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 03:04 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
The 992 Turbo and GTS with iron brakes run 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers (408/380mm discs). These are the same calipers the GT4s use as well and take the same pad shapes. 992 Turbo S models with PCCB use 10-piston front calipers with 420mm discs, along with 4-piston rears with 390mm rear discs. The rear calipers are again the same.

The PCCB stop sale has affected many GTS owners who wanted ceramics. Our Surface Transforms 992 GTS Iron Upgrade kits have been very popular. Brake dust aversion is very real, and many customers are willing to go to great lengths to mitigate it. Works with your factory calipers and drops like 50 lbs off your car. That said, you aren't just eliminating weight, noise, and dust, you are getting discs that last forever and a true dual-use pad that offers excellent bite, feel, and modulation over the factory iron pads. 410mm front and 400mm rear discs with RSC1 pads.
Pm me a price

I have a gts
Old 02-05-2024, 03:23 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 153 Posts

Braking distance is tire grip limited, not by brake rotors or pads. Ceramics do have more initial "bite" but its not a big factor. Less fade on track vs reds but for less than the $9K upgrade cost you can get better track focused brakes that don't cost an arm and a leg when it comes time to replace them. Be aware that pads are recommended to be changed out when they are half worn to prevent damaging the super costly ceramic rotors. That raises the maintenance expense vs steel.

Regarding dust, treat your wheels with a ceramic "wax" and the dust easily rinses off unless you wait months between washes. The treatment lasts most of year. I do it when I switch to and from my winter wheel/tire set. My advice: save the cash for more leather, RWS, or other options that you will actually benefit from. Ceramics are like center lock wheels. They sound like a good idea until you own them. The reality is much less beneficial than the marketing leads you to believe.
Old 02-05-2024, 05:48 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Pm me a price

I have a gts
PM sent.

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
Old 02-05-2024, 09:42 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> The yellow paint is a big draw for many. Cars and coffee, etc.

Pretty much neatly sums up Porsche ownership these days: $9k for yellow paint and less dust, and people are impressed by it, meh. ‘Back in the day’ red calipers meant something too…
The colour scheme is actually amazing if you think about it.

Black callipers as standard.

Pay a bit more upgrade to red.

Pay a lot more upgrade to yellow.

Max out and you are back to black, albeit gloss.

Genius.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:11 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by brandobot
Thoughts on the Turbo stock brakes on the GTS vs pccbs?

stock brakes are just as large as PCCBs and are 10 pistons.

are pccbs worth the $9k upgrade?
For me, the question was, if going with PCCBs, is the GTS itself worth it?

Paying $20K extra for basically upgraded brakes and suspension, then paying another $10K to replace the upgraded brakes you just paid extra for, with PCCBs available on an S... Is it really worth paying a $20K premium for the GTS trim, for basically upgraded suspension?

I wanted PCCBs and knew I'd be running coilovers, so there was no benefit to the GTS trim. If only replacing the brakes, I still think the value of the upgraded trim is significantly diminished...

Just throwing it out there if you're not already locked in, or considering alternatives...
The following 2 users liked this post by null:
deesis01 (02-20-2024), TuvaD (02-07-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 08:44 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 158 Posts

Another upside is that you will likely never wear out your pads and rotors during your ownership. There’s reports of guys with 100k on their PCCBs. That being said, if you ever do need to replace something, the consumables are eye wateringly expensive.
Old 02-07-2024, 12:26 PM
porsc992
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 925M
Well, it’s what, $9,000 now or about $30,000 just for the parts if you want to retrofit - if you think you may want them, just get them now.

I wouldn’t buy a Porsche without them, but that is purely me. For road-going, it’s not a huge difference but I prefer the feel and somehow manage to justify the lack of brake dust being worth the price.
Incredible the retrofitting is 3x the cost!

@Hinz - do the surface transforms ever go on sale?
Old 02-07-2024, 12:34 PM
925M
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by porsc992
Well that’s Porsche pricing last time I checked - it’s about half that via Hinz thankfully.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:19 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by porsc992

@Hinz - do the surface transforms ever go on sale?
Originally Posted by 925M
Well that’s Porsche pricing last time I checked - it’s about half that via Hinz thankfully.
At Hinz Motorsport, it's always Christmas! Shoot me an email and I can quote you the best price!

Quick Reply: 992 GTS - PCCB upgrade or na?