Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obnoxious to ask opinions on build!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 06:22 PM
Dezeinstein
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Obnoxious to ask opinions on build!

I think it's beyond obnoxious to come on here and ask all of you great folks to comment on people's 911 builds.

Having gotten that out of the way, have I gone overboard on my C2S build:

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRA5IVT5

My freeze date is 2/27, and when I started out the build I was at around $155k, now have creeped over $170k.
I don't really care about future resale, as I plan on keeping it for a while.
But seems like I'm getting close to GTS money here.
The only things I can probably lose are Rear Axle Steering and Front Axle lift, which saves almost $5k.
Want to keep the SportDesign front, as I think it looks better on lighter-colored cars.
And I've been wavering between Arctic Grey and Agate Grey.

This will be my first 911. Previously I had a 2013 Boxster, a 2016 Alfa Romeo 4C (which I daily drove for a year, despite being 6'4") and currently drive a 2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey, which is similar to Arctic Grey.

Thanks!
The following 6 users liked this post by Dezeinstein:
catdog2 (02-21-2024), CharlieCafe (02-16-2024), Chris Connor (04-03-2024), HudsonOH992GTS (02-25-2024), Jeff Whitten (02-16-2024), Schwarz992C4S (02-17-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2024, 06:40 PM
Jkc79
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I first posted my build, I felt the same way you do, but I kind of like looking through the different possibilities now! There's something exciting about rebuilding one of these cars that I think will never get old. The price is about right for a C2S. If you want a GTS, yes it's only a little bit more, but then again, for me, I was told I would have to wait another year to get an allocation.

Color and cosmetics are personal and questions may be better suited for your significant other / whoever will be sharing the car with you. I've heard people say that the window trims are not really noticeable so may be worth skipping if you are trying to save a few bucks. 930 may not be as noticeable if you are using dark leather could save a bit too.

With that said, I noticed you didn't go for the brake calipers in black but you opted for the clear brake lights- take a look at that option- maybe you like it? Sorry to add more costs though.

Front axle lift: my SA advised against this. I went to the showroom and measured under a Turbo S with lowered PASM. It's like 2 inches higher than a GT4. You will likely be fine without this, but test drive a similar car to your house and see if your driveway is an issue, because some people have steep highways.

Power Steering Plus: I think it's cheap but also offers little value. I think it's supposed to help you turn the steering wheel at a stop- but that's not really that hard without it.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:57 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 206 Posts

It's a near perfect build IMO. You could ditch the FAL and Rear Steer as you mentioned and will be still be just as perfect and saving some $$. One thing with the interior. If you like the look in the configurator of the contrasting silver bits on the interior trim, then be sure and select the "Light Silver Trim option". The configurator by default shows it in light silver, but what you will get is a dark silver / gray in those areas which results in less contrast.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:11 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

No really "what are you THINKING!?!" choices (that would be yellow over red). Only thing is your build is creeping into GTS price structure, but the allocation you get is the one you get.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:29 PM
BigBob2024C4S
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bob's Build, freeze date March 5

Here's my build code: PREXXTV8. A lot of options are a personal choice, eg. are you going to track the car, etc.? I don't think I'll need the front lift as my 2020 992 C4S cleared my driveway okay. But do consider the Sports Chrono.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:41 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 306 Posts

If you’re planning to keep the car a while, option whatever you will use & enjoy. The 991 Targa is pretty well loaded, but wish I had FAL. So many are concerned about resale they miss the point imo. Enjoy every mile!
The following users liked this post:
Dezeinstein (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 08:09 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 159 Posts

My feedback:
  • Arctic is a more striking color. Agate has brown undertones that make it more dull and unremarkable.
  • FAL: might be better to keep this if you're worried at all about scraping since you have S-PASM and the Sportdesign front end with the painted lip.
  • RAS: it's great for flipping a u-turn but not necessary to drive the car in anger. The new S/T doesn't have RAS and it's designed to be the ultimate driver's car for the street. Also, RAS used to (still does?) get you the potentially problematic and expensive lithium battery.
  • Power Steering Plus: not necessary unless you have hand/arm strength issues. Can also be activated at the dealer later.
  • Puddle Lamp Projectors: I personally think that it's a bit gimmicky.
  • White Tach: washes out the numbers and makes it hard to read according to many here on RL.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,863 Likes on 4,809 Posts

It's your money, we have no business telling you how to spend it.

To do otherwise would, in fact, be obnoxious on our part.

Congrats on the allocation and enjoy the wait.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:21 PM
Dezeinstein
Intermediate

Thanks! That's a good call on the black calipers - I really like the monochrome look on the exterior.
I don't need the front axle lift for my driveway, but have a long narrow driveway that makes a 3 point turn necessary to get out of the garage, which is why I have rear axle steering selected.
Everyone seems to say you won't miss it if you never had it, and some here say it makes the steering feel 'artificial' at speed. Still wavering on that one.

Originally Posted by Jkc79
When I first posted my build, I felt the same way you do, but I kind of like looking through the different possibilities now! There's something exciting about rebuilding one of these cars that I think will never get old. The price is about right for a C2S. If you want a GTS, yes it's only a little bit more, but then again, for me, I was told I would have to wait another year to get an allocation.

Color and cosmetics are personal and questions may be better suited for your significant other / whoever will be sharing the car with you. I've heard people say that the window trims are not really noticeable so may be worth skipping if you are trying to save a few bucks. 930 may not be as noticeable if you are using dark leather could save a bit too.

With that said, I noticed you didn't go for the brake calipers in black but you opted for the clear brake lights- take a look at that option- maybe you like it? Sorry to add more costs though.

Front axle lift: my SA advised against this. I went to the showroom and measured under a Turbo S with lowered PASM. It's like 2 inches higher than a GT4. You will likely be fine without this, but test drive a similar car to your house and see if your driveway is an issue, because some people have steep highways.

Power Steering Plus: I think it's cheap but also offers little value. I think it's supposed to help you turn the steering wheel at a stop- but that's not really that hard without it.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:26 PM
Dezeinstein
Intermediate

I never even noticed that option, as it looks exactly the same as the default trim - like you said. When I select it, the interior photo doesn't seem to change in any perceptible way.
Might have to swing by the dealer to see what it looks like in person.

Originally Posted by meyecul
It's a near perfect build IMO. You could ditch the FAL and Rear Steer as you mentioned and will be still be just as perfect and saving some $$. One thing with the interior. If you like the look in the configurator of the contrasting silver bits on the interior trim, then be sure and select the "Light Silver Trim option". The configurator by default shows it in light silver, but what you will get is a dark silver / gray in those areas which results in less contrast.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:30 PM
Dezeinstein
Intermediate

I appreciate your input. I think you're right about the color - my concern was that Arctic is a more 'trendy' color vs a 'classic' color, since Agate has been around a while.
And Arctic is nearly the same color as my current TTRS - maybe has a more blue tone in certain lights.
Good to know about Power Steering Plus - seems like it's not necessary at all.
I do like the colored tachs and clocks, but introducing red, yellow or green into this build doesn't make sense.
Will look for other photos of the white tech to get a better idea of how it looks.

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
My feedback:
  • Arctic is a more striking color. Agate has brown undertones that make it more dull and unremarkable.
  • FAL: might be better to keep this if you're worried at all about scraping since you have S-PASM and the Sportdesign front end with the painted lip.
  • RAS: it's great for flipping a u-turn but not necessary to drive the car in anger. The new S/T doesn't have RAS and it's designed to be the ultimate driver's car for the street. Also, RAS used to (still does?) get you the potentially problematic and expensive lithium battery.
  • Power Steering Plus: not necessary unless you have hand/arm strength issues. Can also be activated at the dealer later.
  • Puddle Lamp Projectors: I personally think that it's a bit gimmicky.
  • White Tach: washes out the numbers and makes it hard to read according to many here on RL.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:33 PM
Dezeinstein
Intermediate

Your build looks great! I'm with you on the 930 leather adding a classic look to the interior.

Originally Posted by rosencrance
Here's my build code: PREXXTV8. A lot of options are a personal choice, eg. are you going to track the car, etc.? I don't think I'll need the front lift as my 2020 992 C4S cleared my driveway okay. But do consider the Sports Chrono.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:35 PM
RG88
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 102 Posts

power steering plus is apparently a software update and I believe it comes standard on the S/T model fwiw.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:48 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,425 Likes on 508 Posts

Personally I think it's a reasonable build. It's more than what a dealer would spec an S for floor inventory, but there's nothing unreasonable on it. If you need to save money ditch RAS and FAL.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:51 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 241 Posts

Great config. You will be very happy. S vs GTS for me came down to interior and suspension options I wanted. Stayed S and couldn’t be happier.

Quick Reply: Obnoxious to ask opinions on build!