Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I’m gonna be buying a 911 soon and the Porsche interest rates are stupid

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 10:49 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 101 Posts

I just did something with Truist and was 5.9% for 60 mos.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:18 AM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 733 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
While it’s a great rate for 2024, 5% is outside of the “free money” range. When rates were 2-3% you could justify putting your cash to work elsewhere and coming out well ahead. 5% is a significantly bigger lift to make that work.
The same credit union has 5.3% CDs. And you can do better with A rated corporate bonds. You don't have to risk a stock investment to clear that hurdle. It's not much of a spread to be sure, but the hidden benefit is also that you remain more liquid.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:20 AM
5senna5
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 60 Posts

My local credit union ( First Community Credit Union in St. Louis) will do 6.24% for 66 months
Old 02-26-2024, 04:50 PM
Falcon01
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

8% isn't stupid. That seems to be about market right now. 7-8% that is. You can likely get slightly lower from a CU or other bank (I've seen 6.5%), but it may complicate the transaction. I guess it depends if you are trying to carry the loan to term or not. I financed my Audi S5 just because it was more of a spur of the moment buy, but I didn't care about rates or term because I knew I'd pay it off in a few months.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:04 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The same credit union has 5.3% CDs. And you can do better with A rated corporate bonds. You don't have to risk a stock investment to clear that hurdle. It's not much of a spread to be sure, but the hidden benefit is also that you remain more liquid.
Don’t forget, interest on the loan is not tax deductible, while the interest on the bonds are taxed. You also have duration risk with bills/or short term CD’s in your trying to match 3/5 year auto loans.
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (02-27-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 08:50 PM
PBoxS986
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Since when did buying a Porsche become a savvy financial move?…pay the 8%… its expensive being poor
Old 02-26-2024, 10:17 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 380 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
PFS is great for taking the car out of the dealership easily. They don't need paperwork (good for people that don't get a W2) and will finance the full amount even the higher value stuff. No early payoff penalty. Then you can take your time sorting out refinancing, pulling money out of markets, savings, or whatever blows your skirt up. The catch is their rates always suck. Navy Federal is great but it still requires a trip to a branch and they don't transfer to the dealership so you will need to make the deal, go to them, then come back to the dealership, they also sometimes take a couple days with underwriting on the higher value loans. Since they don't work directly with the dealership you will need to do title work and then mail them the title if your state is not a title holding state. But if you are sitting on the dealer floor and want to drive off with a car PFS is the quickest way off the lot.
Absolutely agree with all of this. I work in basically the same type of field (Honda Motorcycles) training our dealers to make the transaction for our customers as easy and simple as possible. And yes the dealer does make money if you finance with them, but it is very easy and quick. So when I got my new 911 I simply explained to the F&I person that I do the same thing for a living and he appreciated that and just asked me to keep it financed for three months (payments) so that he would not get a charge-back on his commission. Of course I could of gone to my credit union and done all of that extra steps above, but my time is extremely valuable these days to save one or two points of interest. We have lots of cash buyers in our business too that just want to ride out with their new bike today. We ask them for the same 90 day "favor" before payoff and most all do that for us. So I guess my point is, as stated above if you want it nice, simple and quick, just do it at the dealer and then re-finance with whoever after three payments if you want a lower rate. These cars are just too much fun to stress out about interest rates today.
dixonk (02-27-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 10:40 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 733 Likes on 408 Posts

Well sure, but you had better be getting something for that 3 month ride with PFS. The refi rate at many lenders can be a point higher than the new car rate, so when you close out the PFS loan, you'll pay for that. You need to at least break even with a lower price on the car, or inclusion of something like a maintenance contract.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:41 PM
F250to911
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

Just pay with cash.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:58 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 4,492 Likes on 1,841 Posts

How do you guys keep falling for these threads?
The following 4 users liked this post by shrimp money:
chance6 (02-27-2024), detansinn (02-26-2024), dixonk (02-27-2024), zachr (02-27-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 11:38 PM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Cash is fine, but a 5% loan with the Navy right now is free money.
And if you are a military retiree and set a DFAS retirement pay allotment to NFCU they will give you another ½ % off the loan.
dixonk (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:08 AM
Crusje
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I am not sure how filing a loan is extremely time consuming? You apply online beforehand which is easy if you're ordering a car, then navy federal will FedEx you the check. I was going to pay cash but this seems like a better option. I won't get the car until May/June anyway.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:40 AM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 380 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusje
I am not sure how filing a loan is extremely time consuming? You apply online beforehand which is easy if you're ordering a car, then navy federal will FedEx you the check. I was going to pay cash but this seems like a better option. I won't get the car until May/June anyway.
This all depends on your bank/credit union and location. Here in Florida, with so many scammers arriving here daily, it can be a pretty drawn out process. Most banks/credit unions here now require W-2's, proof of residence in Florida, Florida drivers license and a personal visit from you to sign out with them, at that point they give you what is called a "draft" to give to your dealer and said dealer receives funds when and only when the title work is completed showing said lender as the lien-holder. Big PIA for most folks we deal with, and not too appealing for the dealer to jump through all these hoops just to get funded. Nobody ever sees anything from the dealers point of view, but honestly some dealers do really care and making loans easy to get is what they are trained to do. And yes they make money on getting you financed with Porsche, but so do the banks/credit unions that are lending money to you...Nobody works for free these days. Financing through Honda/ Porsche/ Harley Davidson requires a seven line application and approval takes all of 3-5 minutes. They do not need to verify anything, your credit score is your approval. Much, much simpler. Never dealt with Navy Federal so they could be the same. YMMV again depending on some of the above factors.

Last edited by Motorin Mark; 02-27-2024 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-27-2024, 01:59 PM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
While it’s a great rate for 2024, 5% is outside of the “free money” range. When rates were 2-3% you could justify putting your cash to work elsewhere and coming out well ahead. 5% is a significantly bigger lift to make that work.
Correct. Rather cry once than every month.
detansinn (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 03:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,399 Likes on 725 Posts

Just got a 6.8% from PFCU for my M550I that I am buying off lease next month.

My Car Allowance I get from my Company just about covers the cost minus $20 so no brainer..

Quick Reply: I’m gonna be buying a 911 soon and the Porsche interest rates are stupid