Sponsored by:

Asking for a Friend: Critique his Targa Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 03:39 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Geez, tough crowd lol, but you asked...

Count me in as one who likes the standard targa bar, sports exhaust, and model designation (all silver) on black as they provide some good contrast and will go well with the Carrera Classics. But hey, if your friend likes the blacked out look, more power to him. Would also skip the CF mirror triangles as they don't add much and will likely get lost in all the other black. With the Targa specifically, I love the Carrera Exclusive Design wheels as they give more of a classic look, could also add matte or gloss black to them to stay with theme. I skipped RAS and didn't consider PDCC on my current car, also prefer the 18-way seats after having 3.5 years in the 14-way in my old 992. Like all options, highly personal...

The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 04:05 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 866 Posts

Forget all these old guys voting for the silver bar. If the idea of the car is to be murdered go for it. Silver and chrome looked fine on a 92 Brougham but we're past that era. I guarantee 9 out of 10 who recommended silver bar are >50 and the 1 out of 10 thinks patterned socks are a nice touch.

Also, 14 ways are just plain ugly. Doesnt belong in a 911 or any other Porsche for that matter unless you're doing two a days at all you can eat buffets.

Last edited by Shogunade; 02-28-2024 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:17 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,196 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Forget all these old guys voting for the silver bar. If the idea of the car is to be murdered go for it. Silver and chrome looked fine on a 92 Brougham but we're past that era. I guarantee 9 out of 10 who recommended silver bar are >50 and the 1 out of 10 thinks patterned socks are a nice touch.

Also, 14 ways are just plain ugly. Doesnt belong in a 911 or any other Porsche for that matter unless you're doing two a days at all you can eat buffets.

Here's my silver bar representing the "Well-Under 50" crowd, haha. I actually agree that the murdered out look has been played out for a bit here. Don't hate it and it had its day but its sort of the affliction clothing style of the auto world. That said, I'll never have too much of a problem with a black 911 despite them not being the most exciting cars. Good advice by a couple of posters above on the spec. Ditch the random carbon, PDCC isn't really necessary. I personally have enjoyed the Burm stereo upgrade, its a loud(ish) car, so if you care about music while you drive every little bit helps but no, its not going to sound like you are in a concert hall.
The following 6 users liked this post by slc4s:
akaringo (02-29-2024), detansinn (02-28-2024), jmrichards (02-28-2024), rasetsu (02-28-2024), slwong23 (02-28-2024), txpackers (02-29-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,737 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s

Here's my silver bar representing the "Well-Under 50" crowd, haha. I actually agree that the murdered out look has been played out for a bit here. Don't hate it and it had its day but its sort of the affliction clothing style of the auto world. That said, I'll never have too much of a problem with a black 911 despite them not being the most exciting cars. Good advice by a couple of posters above on the spec. Ditch the random carbon, PDCC isn't really necessary. I personally have enjoyed the Burm stereo upgrade, its a loud(ish) car, so if you care about music while you drive every little bit helps but no, its not going to sound like you are in a concert hall.
Yes, your car reflects my spec suggestions well. The Carrera Exclusive wheels and the silver bar elevate things. 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Dan006 (02-29-2024), slwong23 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 07:24 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 898 Posts

We're also past the era of Carbon Fiber being in, but folks are putting CF stickers from DBCarbon on their interior as well as the OEM interior options.
detansinn (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 08:19 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Everything about your post... LOL! And I'm < 50 (just barely!) for the record

Originally Posted by slc4s

...sort of the affliction clothing style of the auto world.
Also LOL'd at that line too. Great looking Targa @slc4s , exactly what I was describing above.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:09 PM
jmrichards
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Lots of indications that this is a newbie build. Here are my thoughts.
  • $182k and still the standard wheels? Go with the Carrera Exclusives
  • No 911 needs PDCC
  • Take the money that you save on PDCC and upgrade to the Burmester, because a $182k build deserves better than the Bose.
  • Why carbon fiber for the window triangles and no carbon anywhere else? Ditch that. It's garish
  • The thing is all black and murdered out. I would strongly consider keeping the Targa bar in Silver for that classic look. Dealer will want a real deposit on this one as "murdered out" is not a common Targa spec.
  • The world has enough black 911s. Consider getting it in a real color.
  • They're spending over $3k on nonsense to make it all monochrome. If they decide to go with a color, reconsider some of those options.
  • If you can now get PCCBs on a Targa 4S, do it.
  • Skip the locking wheel bolts. They don't stop anyone and just lead to potential frustration.
I completely agree on a real color and silver Targa bar. However, the Targa is the only 911 that needs PDCC. Several hundred extra pounds above the center line = body roll without PDCC. With PDCC, no body roll.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:05 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmrichards
I completely agree on a real color and silver Targa bar. However, the Targa is the only 911 that needs PDCC. Several hundred extra pounds above the center line = body roll without PDCC. With PDCC, no body roll.
It's a two hundred pound weight difference vs the coupe. That's 50lbs more than the cabriolet. It's not "several hundred extra pounds above the center line". The Targa soft top structural elements are all made out of magnesium. Yes, there's a big piece of glass, but there's also a big piece of glass on the coupe. More than half the weight is the powered mechanism itself that's below the center line along with the structural differences between the bodies.

On a coupe, the glass sunroof and mechanism weighs about 35-40lbs more than the slick top alone.

Folks toss around crazy numbers for the weights of these things, but the reality is a little different.

Last edited by detansinn; 02-28-2024 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Made clearer
Old 02-28-2024, 10:28 PM
Syracuseeye
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I also have a targa 4s build to criticque

I enjoyed reading the feedback on the above post.

I actually also have a slot for June / July delivery and have gotten in a different direction:

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRZPAUC6
Would love to hear thoughts about my choices as dealer is looking to lock in soon…

thanks!
Old 02-28-2024, 10:40 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Syracuseeye
I enjoyed reading the feedback on the above post.

I actually also have a slot for June / July delivery and have gotten in a different direction:

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRZPAUC6
Would love to hear thoughts about my choices as dealer is looking to lock in soon…

thanks!
  • Unless you’re wearing gloves when you drive, Racetex isn’t a great choice for the steering wheel.
  • Is there a reason that you’re going PDK? The seven speed manual in the 992 is about as easy as it gets — even for a daily driver.
  • Black Targa still gets a thumbs down.
  • Puddle lights? Are you 14 years old?

I note that you just joined RennList and that this is very first post. Why don’t you introduce yourself?

Last edited by detansinn; 02-28-2024 at 10:41 PM.
Syracuseeye (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 10:46 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 378 Likes on 186 Posts

[QUOTE=nyca;19305331]Everyone on these threads recommends these stereo upgrades, which is fine if that's what you prefer. But the fact is that in every video review I have seen, sound tests (with the roof closed no less) indicate that at highway speed, this is an 80db car inside. And at that level, any stereo upgrade is going to be mostly drowned out, especially with regards to high fidelity music.

I have to say that indeed these cars are a bit loud inside, that is why I really like my Burmester as I turn it up and hear the sound system very well instead of all the tire/road noise. Comes in handy on a long drive for me.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:52 PM
jmrichards
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
It's a two hundred pound weight difference vs the coupe. That's 50lbs more than the cabriolet. It's not "several hundred extra pounds above the center line". The Targa soft top structural elements are all made out of magnesium. Yes, there's a big piece of glass, but there's also a big piece of glass on the coupe. More than half the weight is the powered mechanism itself that's below the center line along with the structural differences between the bodies.

On a coupe, the glass sunroof and mechanism weighs about 35-40lbs more than the slick top alone.

Folks toss around crazy numbers for the weights of these things, but the reality is a little different.
Nick Murray clears all of this up:
That's all folks!
Old 02-28-2024, 11:26 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,196 Likes on 603 Posts

haha... the same pdcc debate and same video you post in every thread. PDCC is a fine option. But don't pretend a targa is going all topsy turvy on you without it. I've had a regular C4S coupe (996) a turbo (991) and now my 992 targa and body roll in the targa seems to be about the same if not less than my other cars. I've driven the targa both with and without it. Again, nothing against PDCC as an option but i'm not sure under what circumstances I would find it necessary or overly desirable. Probably helpful if you were tracking the car a bunch and worried about time intervals, but in that case you maybe bought the wrong variant all together.

and you know, you can always drop the top and lower your center of gravity
akaringo (02-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Asking for a Friend: Critique his Targa Build