Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T and GTS allocation available, WWYD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 12:13 AM
porsc992
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Question T and GTS allocation available, WWYD?

TL;DR - I'm at a crossroads choosing between two Porsche 911 models for my first-ever purchase of this iconic car, aiming to keep it for a lifetime and eventually pass it down to my son. I have the opportunity to acquire either a T model (scheduled for a May build) or a GTS model (with a June build). I'm seeking advice to guide my decision, based on the following preferences and considerations:

Priorities:
- I'm looking for a thrilling driving experience that emphasizes the car's sound, responsiveness, and the overall connection I feel with the vehicle.
- The car will be mainly used for leisure drives along scenic routes like the Pacific Coast Highway and for occasional weekend canyon runs.
- I plan to take the car on a track day once a year.

Lower Priorities:
- Horsepower and torque are not my main concerns (the T should have enough power, right?)
- Price difference is not a major issue, with my T model build priced at $160k and the GTS at $210k.

Desired Features:
- A special color is important to me; I can get Shark Blue (SB) for the T model, but not for the GTS, which is a significant consideration. ICM or I guess Black for GTS?
- Manual transmission.
- Lightweight Bucket (LWB) seats + rear seat delete, aerokit (black), PCCB if I choose the GTS, FAL, and carbon fiber elements like the roof and mirrors.

Why Not a GT3?
Because pending close to or over $300k on a car feels somewhat irresponsible to me. I'd rather invest that extra money in the stock market, real estate, or more BTC.

Additional Context:
- I've test driven the GTS with a manual transmission and found it highly engaging and fun. I've also driven a 4s with a PDK transmission (stage 2 tune), which, despite being extremely fast, lacked the sound and engagement I'm looking for after a few hours. I'm planning to test drive the T model Monday to see if it lives up to the hype. Some say the T are a dime a dozen...

Given all this, I'm torn between the immersive driving experience and special features of the T model versus the GTS's potential for excitement and engagement. What do you think will better suit my needs, the T or the GTS? What would you recommend in my situation?
Old 03-03-2024, 12:44 AM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by porsc992
TL;DR - I'm at a crossroads choosing between two Porsche 911 models for my first-ever purchase of this iconic car, aiming to keep it for a lifetime and eventually pass it down to my son. I have the opportunity to acquire either a T model (scheduled for a May build) or a GTS model (with a June build). I'm seeking advice to guide my decision, based on the following preferences and considerations:

Priorities:
- I'm looking for a thrilling driving experience that emphasizes the car's sound, responsiveness, and the overall connection I feel with the vehicle.
- The car will be mainly used for leisure drives along scenic routes like the Pacific Coast Highway and for occasional weekend canyon runs.
- I plan to take the car on a track day once a year.

Lower Priorities:
- Horsepower and torque are not my main concerns (the T should have enough power, right?)
- Price difference is not a major issue, with my T model build priced at $160k and the GTS at $210k.

Desired Features:
- A special color is important to me; I can get Shark Blue (SB) for the T model, but not for the GTS, which is a significant consideration. ICM or I guess Black for GTS?
- Manual transmission.
- Lightweight Bucket (LWB) seats + rear seat delete, aerokit (black), PCCB if I choose the GTS, FAL, and carbon fiber elements like the roof and mirrors.

Why Not a GT3?
Because pending close to or over $300k on a car feels somewhat irresponsible to me. I'd rather invest that extra money in the stock market, real estate, or more BTC.

Additional Context:
- I've test driven the GTS with a manual transmission and found it highly engaging and fun. I've also driven a 4s with a PDK transmission (stage 2 tune), which, despite being extremely fast, lacked the sound and engagement I'm looking for after a few hours. I'm planning to test drive the T model Monday to see if it lives up to the hype. Some say the T are a dime a dozen...

Given all this, I'm torn between the immersive driving experience and special features of the T model versus the GTS's potential for excitement and engagement. What do you think will better suit my needs, the T or the GTS? What would you recommend in my situation?
I personally went with a GTS as I felt it had a more exclusive options like race-tex, center locks, turbo brakes and wheels, and had more power. Historically the GTS models also retain value well too!

I’m also jealous you can have the option for either! I hunted near and far for a GTS and was only able to secure an allocation after paying $10,000 ADM.

Last edited by brandobot; 03-03-2024 at 01:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
porsc992 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 01:18 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 898 Posts

Given your situation the GTS is the hands down answer. It has just a bit more, and for the length of time you plan to keep it. Consider Chalk or China or Nardo Grey. Another consideration for a classic look would be Carmine Red.
HudsonOH992GTS (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 01:26 AM
CurryPuff
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Another vote for GTS, but I'd confirm the SB for the T again. My build was initially locking on Feb 28/29 with build commencing March 12th.SB was my first choice and was unavailable.
The build wouldn't go to V200 with it. I chose IGM and after seeing it in person, I liked it enough to continue with it.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:32 AM
Chefboylee
Track Day

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

if money isn't an issue then go for the gts, i was in a similar situation as you between the two and went for gts myself

i came from a stinger and my dad has a supra, which is probably pretty close to the feel of a T. Quick enough but always left me wanting a bit more

porsc992 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 01:46 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

GTS:
You'll spend more time on the brakes than the gas pedal.
If you like turbos, get a kick out of accelerating fast in a straight line, this is the better option for you.

T:
You'll spend more time on the gas pedal than the brakes.
If you like NA, lighter/momentum cars, and get a kick out of going fast in twisty roads, this is the better option for you.

Both great but excel at different things.
Don't fall for the noob, simple minded idea that "more (cost, HP, etc.) is better". It isn't. Buy the right tool for your preferences, environment, and intended use. GTS is great for Florida. T is great for NorCal.

The above is unbiassed. Here's my biassed opinion: Having owned over a dozen 911s of all generations and favors from aircooled to GT cars, and as someone who prefers NA, manual, and more visceral, analog experiences, the Carrera T is the only non-GT 911 that interests me. I own one now and I get a second one in a couple of weeks. My other 911s currently include a 7.2 GT3, a 7.1 GT3 RS, and a 911 ST tribute.

Last edited by Wilder; 03-03-2024 at 01:47 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Wilder:
2020Spyder (03-03-2024), dmia (03-03-2024), FileTitan (03-03-2024), Newusername (03-04-2024), porsc992 (03-03-2024), seahack (03-03-2024), Victory911 (03-03-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-03-2024, 02:05 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 159 Posts

Huh, given that you prioritize a connection with the car for coastal and canyon drives and strongly desire Shark Blue, it really seems like the T is the answer here. In addition to SB, the T opens up the LWB and rear seat delete options, which also aren’t available on the GTS. If you ever feel like you are missing out on the GTS power, a Stage 1 tune gets you there cheaply and easily but if we are being honest with ourselves, even the T has too much power for the street.
Rubystar (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 02:13 AM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
Huh, given that you prioritize a connection with the car for coastal and canyon drives and strongly desire Shark Blue, it really seems like the T is the answer here. In addition to SB, the T opens up the LWB and rear seat delete options, which also aren’t available on the GTS. If you ever feel like you are missing out on the GTS power, a Stage 1 tune gets you there cheaply and easily but if we are being honest with ourselves, even the T has too much power for the street.
LWB and rear seat deletes (and lightweight package) is available for GTS as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by brandobot:
johnohara (03-03-2024), Nein Eleven (03-04-2024), porsc992 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 02:43 AM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 102 Posts

GTS. No bias here whatsoever.
Old 03-03-2024, 03:10 AM
Cachaco
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 75 Posts

I think Shark Blue is NLA, as well as 1-2 more colors. Check with dealer first.
porsc992 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 03:56 AM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 79 Posts

GTS and don't look back...
Old 03-03-2024, 04:06 AM
Final_Final_v4
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 28 Posts

Correct. Shark Blue is no longer available to order on any model. I believe within the next couple of weeks the last SB cars will roll off the line.

I ordered a T in September and it arrived in early January. I haven't driven a GTS, but did drive an S before ordering, and it became clear to me that for what I want out of the car, the T was a better choice.

I'm thinking this may be the case for you as well, but we'll see once you test drive the T.

Obviously there's no bad choice here....

porsc992 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 07:59 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 406 Posts

Vote for T because it will be about 200 lbs lighter.
Rubystar (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 08:00 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,378 Likes on 760 Posts

GTS all day over a T just like I would choose a Turbo or GT3 all day over my S if money weren’t a consideration (..and a Turbo were available with a manual transmission ).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 03-03-2024 at 08:02 AM.
Fullyield (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 08:11 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 67 Posts

GTS

Quick Reply: T and GTS allocation available, WWYD?