Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a Curb Hope its not totaled

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 11:17 AM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 131 Posts

Rates are crazy as mine went up for no ostensible reason.... Unfortunately, I think we are seeing a little pass the buck on the EV's. Cost to repair them is astronomical and full total is more common. That additional cost burden is not getting passed directly to EV owners insurance but I think spread out to all policies. This of course is just my barely educated guess. Sorry, off topic
Old 03-13-2024, 11:52 AM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 681 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Castle
Rates are crazy as mine went up for no ostensible reason.... Unfortunately, I think we are seeing a little pass the buck on the EV's. Cost to repair them is astronomical and full total is more common. That additional cost burden is not getting passed directly to EV owners insurance but I think spread out to all policies. This of course is just my barely educated guess. Sorry, off topic
EV repair costs are essentially the same, when considering the price of the car, there was some study done and it was only a few percent higher. The biggest driver is all the sensors and cameras, because with all that stuff a small bumper impact becomes a multi thousand dollar repair. Also 10-15% of the cost increase can be attributable to inflation over the past few years.
The following 2 users liked this post by malba2366:
aggie57 (03-14-2024), Tedster (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 12:53 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 131 Posts

Way to quote, "some study done". I can tell you 1st hand, Kia Ionic 5, rear ends Honda. 8k damage to Honda (meaning not bad crash), and you can barely see damage to Ionic. Battery registers unresponsive on 50K Ionic, totaled. Next, Mercedes, average battery pack cost across there vehicle line up. 50-60K. Cost, for one part of the repair. So 100+K car get any battery damaged, totaled. Period. You're telling me the guy in the Honda (meaning everyone) is not paying more and this trend has nothing to do with it? I'm not bashing EV at all, just postulating.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:19 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvagusta
Hit a curb, What you guys think. Control arm broke off and had to drive the rim to safety. HIt the curb at 20-30 mph. Radiator antifreeze was dripping also, by front tire. How disappointing.

jesus. wtf?
Old 03-14-2024, 12:31 PM
Mr.Bourne
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Same when I lived in Switzerland. Was like clockwork putting snow tires on in October. Summers in May. These are scary cars on bald tires or wrong tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr.Bourne:
jbl16 (03-14-2024), Tedster (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 02:07 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 547 Likes on 373 Posts

Thank you for the comfort. I cannot believe how the actual control arm broke the bolt that holds it. Im not sure if that bolt hurt the sub frame.
Preferable the control arm breaks. It acted as a bit of a fuse. If it didn't break, than all the force would have been transmitted into everything it was connected to and break a lot more things that are more expensive.
Old 03-14-2024, 03:51 PM
jbl16
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bourne
Same when I lived in Switzerland. Was like clockwork putting snow tires on in October. Summers in May. These are scary cars on bald tires or wrong tires.
This is the way in northern climates.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:15 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 153 Posts

Or rather it has been the way. This year, in the Chicago area, I could have skipped the changeover except for a two week period in January I still did the change and am switching back to summers this weekend. Chicago now seems to have the same kind of winters that Kentucky had 30 years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tedster:
alin2 (03-15-2024), jbl16 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:32 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 255 Likes on 166 Posts

Aw man...bummer... hope all goes well. Luckily you are safe!

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 03-17-2024, 03:38 AM
Mvagusta
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

The insurance company gave me a choice. They would fix the car, but......... To get parts it would take 4-6 months. I really wanted to fight for it. I decided to total it. Hopefully, I will be back to the forum after I get an allocation for a 992.2. In the mean time I am looking at a McLaren. I Hope that fills the void, while I wait for an allocation or move into a 2025 Aston Martin Vantage with a little mileage. What are your thoughts in that move?
The following users liked this post:
jbl16 (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 09:43 AM
mksz51
Pro

Received 734 Likes on 283 Posts

The insurance company gave me a choice. They would fix the car, but......... To get parts it would take 4-6 months. I really wanted to fight for it. I decided to total it. Hopefully, I will be back to the forum after I get an allocation for a 992.2. In the mean time I am looking at a McLaren. I Hope that fills the void, while I wait for an allocation or move into a 2025 Aston Martin Vantage with a little mileage. What are your thoughts in that move?
I think I'd make certain you can obtain insurance on a next vehicle before you purchase it.
The following 7 users liked this post by mksz51:
defiant2 (03-17-2024), Larson E. Rapp (03-17-2024), mdrobc1213 (03-18-2024), phefner (03-17-2024), PSPorsche (03-17-2024), Tedster (03-22-2024), Zoomnbyu (03-17-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-17-2024, 10:13 AM
Zoomnbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
I think I'd make certain you can obtain insurance on a next vehicle before you purchase it.
OP, I'd suggest getting an allocation on an 87 Hyundai Excel. In less than three years you've totaled two very expensive cars. It's not them, it's you.
The following 6 users liked this post by Zoomnbyu:
Crusje (03-18-2024), Judd McPherson (03-17-2024), Larson E. Rapp (03-17-2024), mdrobc1213 (03-18-2024), PSPorsche (03-17-2024), Tedster (03-22-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-17-2024, 11:30 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 687 Likes on 480 Posts

You are lucky they totalled the car. They could fix it but I doubt it would be as straight as new. No one here really knows the true story of what happened, but near freezing temps and summer rubber means little grip. The tire looks almost without tread, so even worse. Maybe better to mount a winter set for fall/winter/early spring driving. My SA tells me the first 992.2 will arrive in NA in February 2025. So, you’ll only miss one summer.
jbl16 (03-17-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 03:24 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Castle
Yes think its multifactoral from COVID19 cost reductions due to less driving/circulation of folks to inflation and supply to new tech and focus on building the EVs not as much support and repair. You can't OTA (over the air) fix a fender bender like you can say a Carplay issue! LOL. Much like the charging network issues, we are still behind the power curve here likely on EV repairs IMHO.
Originally Posted by malba2366
EV repair costs are essentially the same, when considering the price of the car, there was some study done and it was only a few percent higher. The biggest driver is all the sensors and cameras, because with all that stuff a small bumper impact becomes a multi thousand dollar repair. Also 10-15% of the cost increase can be attributable to inflation over the past few years.
Yes cost to repair is more and I think the other big factor is lack of expeience to repair them and shops available as tech is so new. Many SA still have no clue what they are selling with EVs and understand all of the tech so can imagine the repair shops aren't that far behind. Add to it what 24mos or so of decreased driving due to COVID19 and insurance companies adjusted as did premiums to a new normal that did change a bit more than percieved when folks went back to work and supply chain strains also were allievated in 2021-2022 coming out of COVID also. Just like 911 allocations and purchases welcome to the new normal guys..
Don't take this wrong but I think you need to look at a lower power and lower value vehicle and do some more driver improvement and education (like HPDEs)...unless you just have tons of $$ to burn as both the dealership AND the insurance company definately will request both from you in bundles given just the snapshot hx you've shared. Maybe a 5 mo wait and a fixed but depreciated car is good in this instance as you will cut some of your losses when and if given your prev hx and track record you have an unfortunate experience with this one...not that I wish it on anyone but man your insurance adjuster and risk manager has gotta be looking sideways at issuing you a new policy on anything above 180hp!
Originally Posted by mksz51
BINGO....that's the real question OP should be worried about and at what cost? Buddy of mine got request for umbrella insurance recently denied due to number of accidents and claims on his policy and also number of high powered/high HP and expensive cars on his policy also. Shocked him but I guess it is risk management on their behalf to lower pay outs. But his driving hx through some no fault of his own definitely had unexpected effects that he didn't plan on! Our OP sounds not to be far behind unless his insurance company loves writing checks and NONE i've ever seen do...they like taking them tho from the policy owner in the way of premiums! LOL. But glad he is alive and well to tell the tale and also for us to learn also and hopefully no one else and no more of the OPs cars befall this fate.
Originally Posted by kayjh
You are lucky they totalled the car. They could fix it but I doubt it would be as straight as new. No one here really knows the true story of what happened, but near freezing temps and summer rubber means little grip. The tire looks almost without tread, so even worse. Maybe better to mount a winter set for fall/winter/early spring driving. My SA tells me the first 992.2 will arrive in NA in February 2025. So, you’ll only miss one summer.
Don't encourage the OP...think some driving skills and improvement in SA may be required according to some posts here! LOL

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 03-18-2024 at 07:58 PM.
Tedster (03-22-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 04:31 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 168 Posts

well, i give you six months before you crash the mclaren into a pole to avoid a rock in the road.

dude, tires man. tires man!

Quick Reply: Hit a Curb Hope its not totaled