992.2 market

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 04:33 PM
zscaler
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The M4 is a fine car.

But I really don't think it's an option to the 911, much less a "spectacular" one.

AM Vantage, (upcoming new) AMG GT, C8 Z06, R8 (yes, I know it's been discontinued) and LC500 would be viable options.

None are perfect substitutes, each have +/- but all are better options than the M4.
M4 is cheaper than all the cars listed, but it will spank a base Carrera, Corvette, LC500 (why is this even in the list who knows) and Vantage any day of the week at a roll out. For much less price.

I have been driving a 911 since 2003 and owned every generation, current 992 imo is the best of breed, but M4 is definitely a spectacular car for the money.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:47 AM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by zscaler
M4 is cheaper than all the cars listed, but it will spank a base Carrera, Corvette, LC500 (why is this even in the list who knows) and Vantage any day of the week at a roll out. For much less price.

I have been driving a 911 since 2003 and owned every generation, current 992 imo is the best of breed, but M4 is definitely a spectacular car for the money.
Agree. Don't get me wrong I love my 992 but don't sleep on the G80/82s, they're fantastic cars and surprisingly engaging.
The following 2 users liked this post by CZS:
M3Inline6 (04-06-2024), sur5or (04-18-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 06:19 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,363 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by CZS
Agree. Don't get me wrong I love my 992 but don't sleep on the G80/82s, they're fantastic cars and surprisingly engaging.
Agreed!
Old 04-06-2024, 03:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,850 Likes on 4,803 Posts

Straight line speed is overrated and useless in most instances.

And, no, an M4 will not spank a C8 Z06 in any meaningful metric.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
alaris (04-06-2024), Icegrill (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 04:16 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 398 Posts

Do you live on a race track?? :-). We spend our lives in our cars going in straight lines. At least I do man.

And a tuned G 82 absolutely will spank a C8 Z06. Hell a tuned G 82 will spank a stock turbo S. For some reason unknown to me they are pulling some magic out of those BMW engines. I don’t understand it, but there are plenty of videos and dragy results on it. Scary.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:57 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
Do you live on a race track?? :-). We spend our lives in our cars going in straight lines. At least I do man.

And a tuned G 82 absolutely will spank a C8 Z06. Hell a tuned G 82 will spank a stock turbo S. For some reason unknown to me they are pulling some magic out of those BMW engines. I don’t understand it, but there are plenty of videos and dragy results on it. Scary.
We either live on a racetrack or live our life qtr mile at a time. Those are the choices.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,850 Likes on 4,803 Posts

You need to get out more.

And using a tuning as a way to normalize the comparison is, well, just inapt. But you do you.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:54 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 398 Posts

You need to get out more.

And using a tuning as a way to normalize the comparison is, well, just inapt. But you do you.
I spend my life out, unfortunately. I really need to spend more time in. Lol :-)

My only point was the engine in the BMW is superior than what the Corvette has in my opinion and many other peoples opinions that know hell of a lot more about these things than I do. . Now, if you think that makes me happy it doesn’t. I would like to see some American ingenuity come up with some stuff to kick some European asses. I’m just not seen it yet. I keep hearing it’s coming, but I don’t see it. Even the parts on the BMW car inside and outside are superior to what the Corvette has. That bums me out also. Why can’t Chevrolet just charge 30-50 grand more for the Corvette and make it all wheel drive and use luxury Parts on the inside and outside? I don’t know. I do think the Corvette is vastly better looking than the M4. Not even close in my opinion. I think it’s better looking than most sports cars out there, including Porsche cars.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:26 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,363 Likes on 754 Posts

The motors have been strong for a very, very long time. The first gen N54 was a tank that could take heaping amounts of boost. The S54, S55 and S58 are gems.
The following users liked this post:
Patton250 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 04:23 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
What would people look at as an alternate to the 911?
I looked at the LC500 and the C8 Corvette before I bought my 992. Both much less expensive than my 992. I've had a few Corvettes and they IMHO don't age well. The LC500 was tempting, but it's just not in any way a sporting car. Not a fan of Mercedes quality and we already have a couple of BMW's, which I do like, but they're our daily drivers and I don't really think of them as special in any particular way.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:44 AM
Foures
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kayjh
A 2024 base 911 without options starts at $114,000, SL 43 starts at $109,000. The AMG GT is a 4 door coupe, so not really in the same class. BMW M3 isn't a sports car (really), rides like it has no suspension and anyway you can't buy a new one, you have to buy an M4 Coupe which starts at $84,000 - Car and Driver just did a comparison to the 718 Boxster and said both were equally engaging - not comparable to a 911 though. I'm not sure any Lexus should be in a sports car comparison to the 911.

Porsche knows what it has in the 911. My guess is people will keep buying as many as they can make as there is no real comparable sports car on the market that does what the 911 does.
m3 is def a sports car or sports sedan if you want to be pedantic. You can’t buy them bc everyone wants them. Many 911s are touring cars so I don’t really get the whole “ m3 isn’t a sports car “ take or if that’s your viewpoint then you should be logically consistent.

718s are more of sports cars than non-GT 911s are.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:47 PM
zscaler
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't say Z06, i stated c8 (base). M4 will spank the **** out of base C8 in straight line or at the track as well, same for 992 C2/T (base)

And for the Porsche part will do it for much less money (with same options about 50K less money)
Old 04-08-2024, 12:03 AM
double-o-seven
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Personally, I'd take Jaguar F-Type V8 any day over M4's, C8's, AMG GT's, and LC500's. Even in its 10th year (and the final year) of production, the F-Type (X152) has timeless elegance, unique personality, and soul that none of its competitors can match. Double wishbone suspension front and back. All-aluminum riveted and bonded chassis (i.e. built like an aircraft fuselage). Adjustable camber and caster in the front wishbones (quite unusual relative to competitor products), and adjustable rear tie rods as factory spec (also unusual). All of this suspension adjustability from the get-go suggests Jag's racing genes were still embedded in the F-Type's design footprint from the beginning.

Do the consumers really care about any of such engineering contents that are NOT advertised by anyone in the first place? I think not.

At the end of the day, whether people admit it or not, most consumers of today are simply "brand ******." They are buying into the social acceptance and perceived status of today's "hot" brand, and merely rationalize their brand choices as being somehow better than other choices. They don't really understand sports cars or their underlying engineering. Half of the sports car buyers today just want to look good on social network photos and to their social circles. Superficial, callous, and inconvenient facts they are.

Last edited by double-o-seven; 04-08-2024 at 12:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by double-o-seven:
911my22 (04-15-2024), Angryinch (04-08-2024), verstraete (04-09-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 12:35 AM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 194 Posts

I didn't say Z06, i stated c8 (base). M4 will spank the **** out of base C8 in straight line or at the track as well, same for 992 C2/T (base)

And for the Porsche part will do it for much less money (with same options about 50K less money)
I dunno about an M4 "spanking" a base C2. From what I can tell, they're actually evenly matched....remember the G8X twins have more power but are also much more heavy... check out this video for proof. Of course, we're comparing stock vs. stock..

C2 Laptime 48 seconds
G80 M3 Laptime 48.1 seconds

The following users liked this post:
HOTCHKIS (04-08-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 05:34 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 153 Posts

People are overthinking the 48volt hybrid issues. My 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has a 48v hybrid system and it is transparent in operation. Jeep still offers a manual with it as well. The bigger battery and generator helps with emissions and makes the stop/start less of an issue. It also fills in the torque while the turbos spool up. If the italians can do it (Jeep engines are made in Termoli, Italy) than I am confident Porsche will be fine. I expect they adopted the technology for the same reasons as Jeep.

The new Jeep eTorque mild hybrid system is a replacement for the traditional alternator. It sports a belt-driven motor generator unit that executes several different functions.

How Does Jeep Wrangler's eTorque Mild Hybrid Technology Work?
A 48-volt battery pack works with the motor generator to create:

a seamless start/stop function;
a short-duration torque addition to the engine crankshaft in particular driving conditions; and,
brake energy regeneration to increase efficiency and responsiveness.
When the engine is running, eTorque's motor generator unit delivers 48-volt current to a 430 watt-hour lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC)-Graphite battery. The battery pack includes a 3-kilowatt DC-to-DC converter. This holds the battery's charge and converts 48 volts to 12 volts so that power can be used to power Jeep Wrangler's accessories and charge its conventional 12-volt lead-acid battery.

About the size of a small suitcase, the air-cooled battery pack is mounted to the interior rear wall of Jeep Wrangler's cabin. The battery pack's case is insulated to hush the noise generate by the dual cooling fans. Cooling air is then drawn from the vehicle interior and released through the built-in cabin exhausters.

Because of its greater efficiency in extreme temperatures, both the 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine and the Turbocharged 2.0L I4 engine with Jeep eTorque technology will keep a traditional 12-volt starter motor, which is ideal for cold starts and the initial start of the day.

Beyond spinning the engine for restarts, the Jeep eTorque also recaptures energy during deceleration and braking to recharge the battery pack. Further, eTorque also bolsters the driving experience of the 2019 and 2020 Jeep Wrangler with additional torque to the crankshaft during gear changes, which minimizes noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH).

Both engines sport a liquid-cooled Jeep eTorque unit mounted on the front of the engine, which uses a pair of belt tensioners to ensure that the 8-rib drive belt stays tight when the unit is generating electricity or adding torque to the crankshaft.

With the eTorque Mild Hybrid system, the 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine boasts 285 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. Maximum torque arrives later in the rev range, at 4,800 rpm. The Turbocharged 2.0L I4 engine generates best-in-class 270 horsepower, 295 pound-feet of torque.

Quick Reply: 992.2 market