Sponsored by:

992 S Cam Adjuster Bolt Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 01:24 PM
992WhiteOut
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 992 S Cam Adjuster Bolt Failure

2022 S in for two year service. Engine oil pressure pulls over shop tech on post service test drive. Cam adjuster bolt(s) have come out, rattled around, likely caught in chain on that side and then blown through cam shroud at bottom of engine.

Would like to get any knowledgeable input on the possible damage to motor. Word is Porsche plans to repair, but I am worried that the issues may stick with this motor from this event. Also, supposedly I get no warranty on this other than existing remainder of original factory warranty.

Would love any constructive input.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:34 PM
lone992
Instructor

Received 282 Likes on 93 Posts

With this initial external damage, I wouldn't be surprised that this turn into an engine replacement rather than a repair. Jeez...why would a shop risk supporting any amount of weight on that plastic sump cover?...🤦‍♂️
The following 3 users liked this post by lone992:
992WhiteOut (04-02-2024), detansinn (04-03-2024), Icegrill (04-03-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 06:40 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 630 Posts

Ouch! Really sorry to hear that. The photo is ugly. If the chain tensioner failed, the timing must be off quite a bit, and I'd expect that to result in piston-to-valve contact and essentially the death of your engine. I expect you will need a replacement engine. This is the first I've heard of that. A chain tensioner failure is usually pretty catastrophic. Best of luck.
The following 4 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
992WhiteOut (04-03-2024), detansinn (04-03-2024), Schwarz992C4S (04-01-2024), tonka858 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 12:23 AM
Edcantera
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Ouch! This happened to the tech that was test driving your car after service? Man, I’d hate to have to make that phone call! Yup, looks like an engine out inspection in the way and most likely a replacement engine going back in. I’d bet that Porsche will want to see what happened to your engine, but what do I know. Good luck to you on this one and hope that you get your car back soon! keep us posted on what happens in the next chapter.
The following users liked this post:
992WhiteOut (04-04-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 12:38 AM
PJSD
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 58 Posts

Good thing this didn't happen when you picked up the car, then the dealer would be blaming you and denying any responsibility. I would push for a replacement engine. Contact Porsche corporate. I wouldn't want to keep a car that had major engine damage that was "repaired"
992WhiteOut (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 09:34 AM
992WhiteOut
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lone992
With this initial external damage, I wouldn't be surprised that this turn into an engine replacement rather than a repair. Jeez...why would a shop risk supporting any amount of weight on that plastic sump cover?...🤦‍♂️
*** So far they say no replace, just repair with no additional warranty. I find articles with other engines also losing the bolts that are part of the vario cam system. Usually catastrophic it sounds like.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:56 AM
992WhiteOut
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Ouch! Really sorry to hear that. The photo is ugly. If the chain tensioner failed, the timing must be off quite a bit, and I'd expect that to result in piston-to-valve contact and essentially the death of your engine. I expect you will need a replacement engine. This is the first I've heard of that. A chain tensioner failure is usually pretty catastrophic. Best of luck.
*** So far, no mention of chain tensioner fail. Just " cam shaft adjustment bolts came loose". The first picture was at head showing coolant leak, then the above picture of the chain showing through maybe at the crank? My worry is these bolts moved around and travelled under the chain cover on the side of the motor before being pushed through the cover. And without these adjuster bolts in place, what was the working condition of the cam on that side? Here is head picture.

I can't tell much from this pic.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:02 AM
992WhiteOut
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edcantera
Ouch! This happened to the tech that was test driving your car after service? Man, I’d hate to have to make that phone call! Yup, looks like an engine out inspection in the way and most likely a replacement engine going back in. I’d bet that Porsche will want to see what happened to your engine, but what do I know. Good luck to you on this one and hope that you get your car back soon! keep us posted on what happens in the next chapter.
*** Sounds like you are correct, although engine not yet out. Estimate and details given to Porsche first, then they decide repair steps. I hear motor will come out. Yes, so glad their tech was driving and not me. Not even 13K on car yet. 😩
Old 04-03-2024, 10:08 AM
992WhiteOut
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PJSD
Good thing this didn't happen when you picked up the car, then the dealer would be blaming you and denying any responsibility. I would push for a replacement engine. Contact Porsche corporate. I wouldn't want to keep a car that had major engine damage that was "repaired"
*** So glad I was not at the wheel. I think they had finished the service and were out on post service test drive.

Yes, my concern is that if they repair, with no additional warranty, I have a very "at risk" motor. Less than 13K on miles on the car now and almost 24 months elapsed. It is a major hit to the value of the car. I am waiting to hear what course they plan to take but so far it seems I may have no input. Anyone have any experience with similar issue?
Old 04-03-2024, 10:24 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,777 Likes on 2,899 Posts

I suspect that PCNA will opt for replacement after they do the labor tally for the repair. If they opt to just do it as a warranty repair, I would start the conversation with the dealer on trading it in for your next 911 -- use it as an opportunity/leverage for them to show you some love.
992WhiteOut (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 10:58 AM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 83 Posts

Had a similar experience with Mercedes, camshaft adjuster puked, sounded like a coffee can full of marbles (I was driving). Was under warranty, so they were going to rebuild it. I asked the SA if it would ever be right - he shrugged and said his guys would do a good job. At that point to me it was cursed so I negotiated a trade for a different model. Got treated right, but mostly because of the goodwill of the dealer. If you have some history with the dealership hopefully they will give you that type of option. Good luck.

Last edited by Norsk; 04-03-2024 at 11:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Norsk:
992WhiteOut (04-04-2024), detansinn (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 12:52 PM
ATLPORSCHEGUY
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

At the very least, I would get the dealer's liability insurance information and set up a property damage claim ASAP. I would also have it independently inspected and assessed. If it is determined to be a result of some degree of negligence, then they would be liable for the extent of damage, including, the diminished value (the value lost as a result of the damage). I would also contact an attorney, and diminished value appraiser.
992WhiteOut (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 01:37 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,777 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLPORSCHEGUY
At the very least, I would get the dealer's liability insurance information and set up a property damage claim ASAP. I would also have it independently inspected and assessed. If it is determined to be a result of some degree of negligence, then they would be liable for the extent of damage, including, the diminished value (the value lost as a result of the damage). I would also contact an attorney, and diminished value appraiser.
It's a mechanical failure that is covered by the warranty. Your suggested steps are a heck of an escalation here.
Who's the attorney even engaging? Diminished value appraiser for a mechanical failure? None of this gets the OP back on the road.

992WhiteOut (04-05-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 02:03 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 579 Posts

I would be pretty concerned about the metal that went into the engine due to the bolt blowing through the timing chain case.

That engine needs to be dropped, the chain inspected and likely replaced, etc.

I would push for a new crate engine. If they fix it, I would take an oil sample after, check for contamination.
The following 4 users liked this post by Angryinch:
992WhiteOut (04-04-2024), detansinn (04-03-2024), Icegrill (04-03-2024), tonka858 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 03:06 PM
Evolution1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 992WhiteOut
*** So glad I was not at the wheel. I think they had finished the service and were out on post service test drive.

Yes, my concern is that if they repair, with no additional warranty, I have a very "at risk" motor. Less than 13K on miles on the car now and almost 24 months elapsed. It is a major hit to the value of the car. I am waiting to hear what course they plan to take but so far it seems I may have no input. Anyone have any experience with similar issue?
Not the same problem, my 2024 911 T went in for an engine light, the codes told them they were misfires lots of misfires.
Service Manager didn't feel comfortable returning the car until they did other test, well I get a call the next morning and he told me they had taken the oil pan down and there was metal shavings.
Making a long story short I was told I needed the engine replaced unfortunately Porsche service is required to order a re manufactured engine first if not available then you get new engine.
Well I went little crazy at the Idea of replacing an engine with 544 miles with a re manufactured engine.
This what I did called PCNA with what was going on 2 weeks later I get an email from PCNA that I had 2 choices 1) they will replace the engine under warranty with a sizable check with an allocation for another T ,and keep the warranty until expiration I figured I would take a hit on FMV 2) They will repurchase my car they will refund everything including sales tax, DMV cost dealer doc fee and all the interest paid until repurchase. I asked for GTS allocation they are not sure if its possible. I chose option 2 they also gave me 5K voucher to use at any Porsche dealer towards another car.
Overall not happy I lost my car after four months of ownership but I think PCNA made it OK for me.

The following 8 users liked this post by Evolution1:
992WhiteOut (04-04-2024), alin2 (04-03-2024), detansinn (04-03-2024), Icegrill (04-03-2024), Ikone (04-03-2024), Nein Eleven (04-03-2024), TK42ONE (04-04-2024), Vista6019 (04-06-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 992 S Cam Adjuster Bolt Failure