Notices

Lifter Repair 101....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 02:47 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Lifter Repair 101....

It's beautiful weather outside - and what could be more fun the rebuilding valve lifters??

As some - if not all, of you recall - I collapsed a valve lifter at a DE last weekend. So - without further delay (as it really takes me a LONG time to work, takes pics - and post - here is "Valve Lifters 101"....

So - say you want to replace your lifters? Hear a clack, clack? Well here's what making the noise. In this post you'll see what a collapsed lifter looks like, what an OLD lifter looks like - and what a NEW lifter looks like.. I just got mine (all 12 - for just under $28/ea. from Tim at Mind Over Motorsports (http://www.mindovermotorsports.com/) and knowing that I wanted them this weekend - they came Saturday delivery!!!

Anyway - since I'm replacing all 12 - it's probably easier to drop the engine. So...

- Step 1 - drop the engine!!

- - -
- -
-
- Step 2 - once it's on the floor, take a minute to clean it up. I'm a little neurotic about opening a dirty engine, and starting with 4-5-6 (right) side, spent a little time taking off grit, grime and crap (look at the heat exchanger or lower cover for a comparision).

Here is where I started, with the right side engine tin removed:

And after a bit - I got it to the point I felt comfortable taking off the vavle covers without crap falling into the rockers/valves. So, my advice is - take a while to do it right...

- - -
- -
-
- Step 3 - remove the valve covers. Under the PS pump is a pain without the right tools, so here I use a 5mm allen key with a 1/4" socket/extension for leverage. When you unscrew these - use increasing pressure - and they come right out. Try to give one huge TUG - you run the risk of snapping them.

Since that bolt is off center to unscrew, a ball-headed 5mm driver works great! So - now - remove the rest of the cover bolts

- - -
- -
-
- Step 4 - Remove the valve cover. After being on for a long time, some appear to be "welded" into place. Take a rubber mallet - and tap GENTLY on the top right corner of the cover and bottom left. It will move. Next - in the #6 spark plug hole (it's the best for leverage), prise the valve cover off:

(continued next post.....)

Last edited by Robb M.; 01-31-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:48 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

- Step 5 - Remove the rocker shaft. By unscrewing the two bolts - the rocker shaft will come loose. I started with Intake #4, as that lifter had collapsed and the rocker was easily detected as having way to much play...

Here is a picture of a new lifter - to compare what you will see in the next photos:

Pull the lifter from the end of the rocker. That this one is collapsed - the seal was vaporized and the top protrusion was battered into the lifter body:

And a comparision - old to new lifter. Notice the overall length difference....

- - -
- -
-
Step 6 - now is a great time to inspect the cam lobes, the rocker pad and the shaft bearing surfaces. Mine are in great shape..

I thought this was an interesting comparision shot. Top lifter - collapsed. Center - old lifter with a split seal. Bottom - new lifter...

- - -
- -
-
Step 7 - button it back up and torque the rocker shaft bolts to 10ft/lbs

- - -
- -
-
Step 8 - go to the next rocker (and you may want to turn the engine crank a bit if the next rocker is on cam..)..

Repeat for all 12......

Quick Reply: Lifter Repair 101....