Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Spoiler Wall - Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 06:31 PM
mrtexasfreedom
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Following up on this saga, the OEM Porsche spoiler curtain went on within less than five minutes total. The tolerances were correct and everything snapped on without drama. I'm returning the "German" branded spoiler wall to the vendor. The price difference was about $70, which I'm glad to pay for a much easier job.

mtf
The following users liked this post:
BLT (02-22-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 01:26 AM
Bebes2k
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Tialoc75, my replacement went quickly following your guidance above. A little grease made a big difference.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:51 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Last time I replaced mine it was sourced from Pelican. I have the RUF spoiler module so the spoiler doesn't get exercised too much but it lasted less than 12 months. I now use black Gorilla tape.
The following users liked this post:
Sagres74 (06-16-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 10:45 AM
KellyB
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed one from Pelican and it was snug but worked fine.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:55 AM
vancouver z
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

my cover is missing one of the small black screws. does anyone know the part number or is just the screw available? thanks
Old 01-05-2023, 12:36 PM
Macovp
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
My spoiler wall split apart so I did this job last night. Read all there was to read about it before getting started and still it was a bit of a struggle.

Plenty of sweat, some swearing, sore muscles and knuckles.

I learned a few things that could be of help to others.
  1. Getting the old one off is pretty easy if you know the trick. First, break the wall into two pieces, its probably mostly there already. Top part will pull right off. Lower part had me flummoxed for a while, because there didn't seem to be enough room to remove it. My problem was that the spoiler was fully open and the geometry doesn't work. Close it a little and the bottom section has room to come off as well.
  2. The 'German' brand spoiler wall at Pelican is an almost perfect match for the original. I've read that some people had trouble with OE and Porsche branded parts. 'German' brand was cheapest and looked the same with one exception. The top rail snap-in notch was slightly smaller than what I pulled off the car. Perhaps due to the fact that it was new and unused whereas the original had stretched a little with use? Anyway this leads to #3.
  3. Getting the new one to attach at the top was a bit of a grunt. If I pushed as hard as I could I could get the notch to snap in at the two sides but I couldn't get the entire middle section to work. No matter how hard I pushed it wouldn't budge. Doesn't help that the angles are difficult, the spoiler wiggles and you really don't want to break anything. After pouring a bucket of sweat and straining my shoulders I decided to try a different tactic. I'd already greased the channel but I added a little bit of tri-flow and let it soak in. Then I placed the screwdriver in the 'notch' and tapped it lightly with a rubber mallet. Voila! The spoiler wall snapped right in! I could have saved myself a lot of swearing if I'd tried that from the start.
Hello, currently stuck with both side of the top installed but can’t get the center. Where did you place the screw driver? Thanks
Old 01-05-2023, 02:01 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
My spoiler wall split apart so I did this job last night. Read all there was to read about it before getting started and still it was a bit of a struggle.

Plenty of sweat, some swearing, sore muscles and knuckles.

I learned a few things that could be of help to others.
  1. Getting the old one off is pretty easy if you know the trick. First, break the wall into two pieces, its probably mostly there already. Top part will pull right off. Lower part had me flummoxed for a while, because there didn't seem to be enough room to remove it. My problem was that the spoiler was fully open and the geometry doesn't work. Close it a little and the bottom section has room to come off as well.
  2. The 'German' brand spoiler wall at Pelican is an almost perfect match for the original. I've read that some people had trouble with OE and Porsche branded parts. 'German' brand was cheapest and looked the same with one exception. The top rail snap-in notch was slightly smaller than what I pulled off the car. Perhaps due to the fact that it was new and unused whereas the original had stretched a little with use? Anyway this leads to #3.
  3. Getting the new one to attach at the top was a bit of a grunt. If I pushed as hard as I could I could get the notch to snap in at the two sides but I couldn't get the entire middle section to work. No matter how hard I pushed it wouldn't budge. Doesn't help that the angles are difficult, the spoiler wiggles and you really don't want to break anything. After pouring a bucket of sweat and straining my shoulders I decided to try a different tactic. I'd already greased the channel but I added a little bit of tri-flow and let it soak in. Then I placed the screwdriver in the 'notch' and tapped it lightly with a rubber mallet. Voila! The spoiler wall snapped right in! I could have saved myself a lot of swearing if I'd tried that from the start.
My spoiler wall is also broken. I have a replacement. What is tri-flow?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:53 PM
SC2993
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Might help if the new spoiler wall is warmed a little by the sun, try putting the plastic in a warm spot like on a window ledge to get it more pliable.

I worked from L to R with the spoiler, get the L or right edge in, work to the center and continue until the R side is in the channel. Took me less than 4 minutes to install.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:30 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 292 Posts

Easy job- but i'd second the spoiler mod - you can control WHEN and / or if the spoiler is deployed. I did this years ago and LOVE it.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:36 PM
akrca4
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Macovp
Hello, currently stuck with both side of the top installed but can’t get the center. Where did you place the screw driver? Thanks
I remember I had to lower the spoiler about 1/3 of the way and used a good amount of grease. Warm up the part should help too, good luck!

Andy
Old 01-05-2023, 07:39 PM
Macovp
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by akrca4
I remember I had to lower the spoiler about 1/3 of the way and used a good amount of grease. Warm up the part should help too, good luck!

Andy
Thanks Andy, finally decided to take it to the mechanic, he headed the plastic a bit and with a piece of wood pushed the notch in place. He reached from behind the fully extended spoiler, under grill, I struggled with that center portion. Thanks
Old 01-06-2023, 11:22 AM
Oberst
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
My spoiler wall is also broken. I have a replacement. What is tri-flow?
Thanks in advance.
Tri-Flow is a multi-purpose lubricant made with Teflon. A local locksmith shop would be able to source for you.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

One can get dry teflon spray at auto parts stores. I've never seen one common project stump so many people. Try building an air-cooled motor. The spoiler wall is a walk in the park.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Wall - Tips