Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First 300 Miles Driven 993 C4S vs 993 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 12:01 PM
spikej
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Does it smoke after warmed up continue? From exhaust? You definitely should get a ppi with compression and leak down before purchasing. Low miles car does not mean no need for top end.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:49 PM
spikej
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by spikej
Does it smoke after warmed up continue? From exhaust? You definitely should get a ppi with compression and leak down before purchasing. Low miles car does not mean no need for top end.

Sorry. Wrong thread.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:28 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 291 Posts

I love my C4s- looked at C2s and also very good car- the 4s feels heavier in the steering and obviously is a LITTLE bit slower- I drove my car in the winters here in MN for the first couple of years and the 4s with snow tires is a lot of fun. Now that i've rebuilt the entire car, i kinda wish it were a 2s- but not enough to sell and re-buy. I know my car and have spent a small fortune getting it in pristine condition. Not gonna change that out. Nice write-up- thanks for sharing!
The following users liked this post:
JAB12 (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 12:24 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 359 Posts

Glad to see this thread is useful to others, even after the few years since. That is the beauty of the Rennlist community.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:56 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Default Phasing out of 993s (for now)

Hello Gents. The 993 C2S on this thread is now being offered here:

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/1...-carrera-s-1/#
Old 04-07-2024, 06:54 PM
kabsncoupe
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Money pit????

[QUOTE=JAB12;14946068]

Ladies before going to sleep until the next drive.

1996 993 C4S

1997 993 C2S

Hello, some of you have asked me about the driving experience differences between a 993 C4S and a 993 C2S. I have only been so fortunate to have captured two driven but exceptionally well cared for examples of a 993 C4S and a 993 C2S that fit perfectly within my ownership goals and budget and what I wanted to achieve and obtain out of these cars once everything was right and I decided I was going to search and purchase them. I fell in love with Porsche when I was a kid and having these air cooled in my parking spots is basically a ten fold dream come true and made true by a lot of hard work, blood sweat and tears as I am sure it is for most car enthusiasts, specifically of the Porsche Marque. The tears have come by way of maintaining these cars up to the standard as well, as we all know, owning them and enjoying them as they should does not come without that heavy price tag of the upkeep costs. So I feel and share your pain as well.

I figured I'd post the experience in simple terms as I am no professional driver or technical expert but have had my share of pushing vehicles hard when given enough road length and conditions are safe enough not to be considered a reckless driver, with the occasional speeding ticket or two, but totally worth it.

In my short ownership I have had to do absolutely nothing to any of these cars as both were/are in superb mechanical condition as I credit both previous owners for that. As most of you that have met me through this forum and in my search know, I never cared for low or higher mileage cars, I care about condition, both mechanically and cosmetically, and verifiable service history with no previous accidents. The other stuff about stock this or that, radio, original paint bla bla, that is to each his own. IMHO these cars were meant to be driven and you take the 'good' with the realistic. With that said, here are 10 points of comparisons of driving experience in the first 300 miles driven on each vehicle now that I have comparable seat time on both.

1996 911 993 C4S: Midnight Blue Metallic/Cashmere

1.- Time spent looking: Online mostly as well as through network: 2.5 years (overlapped time with search for specific color combo 964 which I found first). It never occurred to me to join Rennlist probably would have shaved a few years or search time had I done it sooner so Kudos to the community for facilitating the exchanges between total strangers in love with these cars.
2.- Ownership: Owned since mid December 2017. Purschased from Private Owner RL posting. PPI Expense: $834.00 including cost of PPI and minor cosmetic items done. Nothing else needed. Weeping chain covers left for later down the road no leaks.
3.- Miles Driven: 573. Odometer total: 86,739
4.- Exterior Condition: 9/10 after no respray paint correction done by me.
5.- Interior Condition: 8/10, 2 points off for driver seat bolster needs attention and areas of carpet as they all do. Will have this replaced at Soft Side Trim when I can live without the car for a week plus few days. Not ready for that yet.
6.- Driving: A blast to drive and vehicle is extremely forgiving on over steer as it is an all wheel drive. I have pushed it hard and have never squealed on a hard turn. Car over corrects and you can be much less of a driver for handling. Shifting is a little rougher or at least feels like it. You feel the harder pull on the C4S..
7.- Limited Slip option, not felt on C4S.
8.- Maximum Speed Driven for atleast 5 miles: 135 mph, or at least what the ODO said. You know these can be tricky.
9.- Launch is slower on C4S, as has added weight.
10.- Break to a stop with downshifting in less distance in my estimation.

1997 911 993 C2S: Arctic Silver/Black

1.- Time spent looking: Online mostly as well as through private network: 8 months.
2.- Ownership: Owned since mid late March 2018. Purschased from Private Owner RL contact. PPI Expense: $6,832.00 including cost of PPI,new brakes and all other items done. Nothing else needed. Weeping chain covers left for later down the road no leaks.
3.- Miles Driven: 379. Odometer total: 196,331. Yes, you read right! 196k and counting, car looks and feels like a 35k mile car, especially after latest service.
4.- Exterior Condition: 9.5/10. No paint correction needed.
5.- Interior Condition: 8/10, 2 points off for both front seats being redyed at some point during previous ownership and 2 dash buttons need replacement as minor areas of carpet as they all do. Will have these replaced at Soft Side Trim when I get the C4S back. Not ready for departing from the C2S anytime soon either.
6.- Driving: Need to focus to drive and vehicle is not at all forgiving on over steer, you can find yourself flat off butt first in a split second if you don't know what you're doing. I have pushed it hard and squealing on a hard turn is kind of the norm. Car does not over correct and you have to be somewhat of a driver for handling the higher speeds. Shifting is smoother or at least feels like it. You feel the harder push on the C2S..
7.- Limited Slip option most definitely engaged.
8.- Maximum Speed Driven for atleast 5 miles: 125 mph, or at least what the ODO said. You know these can be tricky.
9.- Launch is faster on C2S, as has less weight, although just a little less, you can definitely feel the difference. Car glides while hugging the road vs C4S that rips it.
10.- Break to a stop with downshifting in just a little bit more of a distance in my estimation.

Hope these pointers help for those of you who are still looking into getting into this madness. PM me for more additional details, always happy to expand the Pcar network and help out. Good luck with your searches and/or tenure.
Porsche On!![ wow that’s a lot of blaaa blaaa bla on a at its most a core canvas. You can dump a load of cash to end up with, yes a run out money pit.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:57 PM
gbgastowers
Rennlist Member

Location: Holden Beach and Winston-Salem, North Carolina 82 928 Euro S 5spd MOSS GREEN/CHAMPAGNE-04 996 C4S CONV TIP POLAR SILVER/METROPOL BLUE
Received 285 Likes on 163 Posts
Default It’s crazy how much more exterior design detail you can see with the silver car

HelpMeHelpU (04-28-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 04:34 PM
Astro_Train
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

so what is the generally consensus on current price of a C2S, no accidents, above 100k miles. Mostly unmodified and in good working order.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:46 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 74 Posts

I hate this thread! That was my C2S that I bought in Hershey and had repainted. The only car I have ever missed!
JAB12 (04-28-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 09:57 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
so what is the generally consensus on current price of a C2S, no accidents, above 100k miles. Mostly unmodified and in good working order.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:29 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 368 Posts

Alright, that's enough. The conversation needs to stay civil or I'll lock this thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by pirahna:
JAB12 (04-28-2024), kabsncoupe (04-27-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:03 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

@UserA you and me both. My current ‘98
even after doing the bumperette delete could only get it close to look like my former, but not quite despite only having a third of the mileage.

@pirahna I hadn’t posted in this thread in almost 3 years, and since I have sold both 993s that are the subject of it so the thread can be locked as far as I’m concerned. It served its purpose.

Last edited by JAB12; 04-28-2024 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: First 300 Miles Driven 993 C4S vs 993 C2S