Tramont Cup 2 Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 09:38 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
Boom boom, do you have a nb or wb?

WB, like Wongy's car in Blue Turquoise above.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:57 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Yeah, still not sure what's up w/ that setup on the red car. It looks nothing like any other 285. And I forgot, my e88's had 285's PS 4S when I originally got my car and it also looked more stretched.

Costco sill had the PS 4S in 285 but I cancelled as I was worried they changed something with the tires and they'd end up looking like that red car. So I'm switching to the classic PS2's (which is also what's on Wongy's setup above). I really like those tires, even though they're an old design. I just don't like the price.

Edit: there's also Continentals in 285/30-18. Definitely more budget friendly but I'm a Michelin/Pirelli guy.
I tried the Michelin PS4S in 285 from Costco and ended up returning it. Way too fat to still clear the fenders on my NB. I switched back to Conti 285s and am happy. These are on 10” ET58 rears.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:28 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Wtf is that

Looks nothing like the 285 PS4S I used to have. Even my 295 PS4S looks narrower than that!

I cant recall if these were always made in the US or they just switched to the US during the pandemic but something is seriously out of wack with this run of tires. That looks like a 315 or even wider!!

Glad I cancelled them. Hopefully the tried an true PS2 (made in France) is actually 285!

They’ll be here tomorrow and so should my wheels.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 03-04-2024 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gbos1 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 12:14 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Btw, here’s a comparison. My 11” wide E88’s and PS4S 285’s.

I zoomed in and they were made in 2019 in the US. Something definitely is out of control wack with the ones they’re selling now.

Old 03-04-2024, 03:22 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 250 Posts

Wtf is that

Looks nothing like the 285 PS4S I used to have. Even my 295 PS4S looks narrower than that!

I cant recall if these were always made in the US or they just switched to the US during the pandemic but something is seriously out of wack with this run of tires. That looks like a 315 or even wider!!

Glad I cancelled them. Hopefully the tried an true PS2 (made in France) is actually 285!

They’ll be here tomorrow and so should my wheels.
I'll be interested in your update... If Michelin are making such chubby tires now, perhaps I could get away with 295's on my soon to be installed 12" rear Champions. With no street 305 options available now I was expecting to have to go with 315's.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:54 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Edit: there's also Continentals in 285/30-18. Definitely more budget friendly but I'm a Michelin/Pirelli guy.
Looking forward to seeing the tramonts on the car!!! Should look awesome! I'm also debating about tire size for my new to me LM's. Going to give the conti extreme contact sport 02's a try in a 285/30 on my 11" rear. Apparently they fit a bit chunkier than the michelins. They are also way less expensive!
Old 03-04-2024, 06:34 PM
listnner
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Wtf is that

The poster said they are on 10'' rims. Same tires on 11'' would look different.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:24 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
Looking forward to seeing the tramonts on the car!!! Should look awesome! I'm also debating about tire size for my new to me LM's. Going to give the conti extreme contact sport 02's a try in a 285/30 on my 11" rear. Apparently they fit a bit chunkier than the michelins. They are also way less expensive!
extreme contact sport 02's would be better choice than 4s ..gives you more clearance and it’s also lightweight only 23lbs for 285/30/18.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:32 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by listnner
The poster said they are on 10'' rims. Same tires on 11'' would look different.
Oops. But in that other TAG Motorsports thread they have 4S 285's on an 11" and it looks pretty chunky/square too. They look wider than both my 4S 295's or 285's on 11". Pic below of my 295 vs 285 both on 11" rims. The 295 looks narrower and more stretched. And these current 4S 285's. look nothing like my old ones I posted above from 2019.

My PS2's will be here tomorrow and hopefully my Tramonts aren't far behind.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 03-04-2024 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:45 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Got my Tramont's yesterday. Going to post a couple updates on a few different topics.

First, with respect to DHL/importing...

Well, as promised, these shipped via DHL in less than two weeks. Now for the paperwork mess which BTW, I do feel Tramont very much creates the confusion here. I say that because I regularly purchase auto parts internationally and they arrive via DHL and never am I (the receiver) on the hook to fill out forms on behalf of the sender or go figure out how to provide them on their behalf.

I got a cryptic email from Tramont with a NHTSA form (believe this is the "DOT" form folks have mentioned int his thread) and also a typed-out "letter of intended use" document which I was asked to sign/return to them. In addition to returning to them, they said I should also "submit to DHL yourself as well" with no direction on how, where, what process? The NHTSA (DOT) form was also a copy for 2006 (I found the 2020 version on the NHTSA website) and they had highlighted a few sections to fill out. Even though box "2A" was the option selected (vehicle/equipment conforms to all safety regulations), they randomly highlighted a part of option 5 (vehicle does NOT conform to safety regulations) where I was to provide a "passport number" and "issuing country" for my non-adhering vehicle import... what the what??

Anyone done this semi-recently and can provide some more specifics here?

For now, I returned to Tramont their typed "letter of intended use" with my signature and also a new 2020 version of the NHTSA (DOT) form with option 2A checked. I have no idea if they are submitting that to DHL or if I need to (how??) or if they intend that we both do it for good measure.

Also, a few people here mentioned some duty/tax form to fill out with DHL and pay import tax. Tramont has not mentioned how I go about that.

A bit frustrating.

I'll say this, Christine creates lots of unnecessary confusion on this front. Just return the two pieces of paperwork she asks you to sign and don't fret. Disregard her urges for you to call DHL to also submit paperwork, etc. Imagine if every single import DHL makes every day required the reciever to proactively call to provide paperwork. Just silly.

Once your wheels are in the country, DHL will contact you. You'll need to provide your SSN for taxes. Once you provide that, you'll soon be a sent a link to pay your import charges ($131 USD in my case). After that, you'll get your wheels (next day in my case). Amidst all this, I received a few emails from Christine who frantically urged me to call them along each of these steps (which I think others have done and ended up in a hellish phone call experience). I'll say, the DHL process was smooth and totally worry free. So again, I feel like lots of this commotion is caused unnecessarily by the shipper. Example, I was contacted by DHL to pay my duty charge and did so immediately. No sooner, I get another frantic email from Christine informing me that I must call them on the phone right now or they will destroy my wheels. LOL. I know she is trying to be helpful but I can't understand operating this way on a regular basis.

Old 03-07-2024, 03:49 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

On the topic of shipping....

Wheels arrived damage free. Honestly I was really worried about damaged wheels based on others experiences. When I saw the boxes I originally was concerned but after opening I saw they were double boxed with thick foam padding on each side between the boxes.

Inside the inner boxes, the wheels had a decent amount of foam sheets protecting the wheels. Two sheets of 1/8" thick foam which is doubled over (4 layers thick) where the wheel meets the inner box.

Old 03-07-2024, 03:51 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Someone semi-recently posted about receiving a wheel with a broken nut. Looks like Tramont has changed to a different style of nuts.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:01 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

And here's a few pics of my new gems.

BTW, someone also mentioned previously that while valve stems are included, that the inner cores aren't. In my case, my valves have cores in them. So either this is an update or it was an oversight when others received valves w/o cores.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:01 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Got my Tramont's yesterday. Going to post a couple updates on a few different topics.

I'll say this, Christine creates lots of unnecessary confusion on this front. Just return the two pieces of paperwork she asks you to sign and don't fret. Disregard her urges for you to call DHL to also submit paperwork, etc. Imagine if every single import DHL makes every day required the reciever to proactively call to provide paperwork. Just silly.

Amidst all this, I received a few emails from Christine who frantically urged me to call them along each of these steps (which I think others have done and ended up in a hellish phone call experience).

No sooner, I get another frantic email from Christine informing me that I must call them on the phone right now or they will destroy my wheels. LOL. I know she is trying to be helpful but I can't understand operating this way on a regular basis.

the old expression…live and learn, does not apply to Tramont/Christine in the cross the pond shipping area of expertise.

two different suspensions shipped from Gert in Belgium…no issues

Modern projectors, other lighting bits from the retrofit lab in the Netherlands….no issues

multiple things from Tore B at Bergville FX in Norway…no issues

My set of Tramonts for the 993 back in 2013, were before Tramont had US distribution. The entire shipping fiasco, played out for weeks…if you ever want to fill a couple hours of your time, there is an exhaustive thread about it, it all started in October of 2013. My most recent set was in late 2022, for the Boxster S. I shared the same level of confusion, that you experienced…DHL’s own website wasn’t much help to me at that time.

In the end…all is good, as both wheelsets are spectacular. And as my local mechanic said….”you really like those wheels, don’t you !”

why yes…yes I do.

Cars gonna look spectacular @boomboomthump
Old 03-07-2024, 04:04 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

And last one.... weights!

These weigh several pounds more than I expected each one to weigh. 8.5 et46 front, 11" et40 rear. Keep in mind that the offsets affect the weights because they mill down the back-pad to the ET you need.

Quick Reply: Tramont Cup 2 Group Buy