Sponsored by: DashLynx

Heating/AC related issue with 993 Cab - Stalling with AC on

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 10:37 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heating/AC related issue with 993 Cab - Stalling with AC on

I'm posting this for a friend who is having an issue related to the heating/AC system on his 993. Hopefully someone here can offer a suggestion as to what might be the source of the problem. The car in question is a UK model 1994 993 Carrera 4 Cabriolet.

Here's his description of the problem:

In warm weather when the air con is switched on, after a period of providing cool air for 10-15 minutes, the car will then cut out when coming up to a junction, and clutch is depressed but before stopping. The car will restart after switching the ignition off and back on again. In addition the heating system then pushes out hot air, even when set to the coldest setting (with the Air con off!). If the car is then left for a couple of hours to cool down the heating system will work as normal, provided the Air con is not re-engaged.
Any advise for this very hot and bothered Porsche owner?

Last edited by logan2z; 07-09-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:36 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by logan2z
  • In warm weather the car will cut out when coming up to a junction;
  • The heating system then pushes out hot air, even when set to the coldest setting (with the Air con off!). If the car is then left for a couple of hours to cool down the heating system will work as normal, provided the Air con is not re-engaged.
Sounds like you may be seeing two unrelated but concurrent issues:
  • I would disconnect and clean the battery contacts and reconnect them. Then I would I first just check the engine running voltage of the vehicles overall electrical system, is it at 13.5 Volts +? I would buy a voltage meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter, an eBay item, and observes the voltage when the engine shuts down.
  • Then I would run the OBD Codes as a failed HVAC actuator as part of the Climate Control system, a common issue will throw an error code. The actuators control vent temperatures and can be rebuilt by sending them out or using a kit at the kitchen table.

Quick Reply: Heating/AC related issue with 993 Cab - Stalling with AC on