Sponsored by: DashLynx

Diagnose airbag light cause

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Diagnose airbag light cause

So my airbag light came on recently in my 1996 C2 Cab and I have been trying to find the source of the issue. Took apart the clock and resoldered everything and tried to reset it with a Durametric. Codes would come back instantly, the codes were, 5 ignition circuit, driver, 66 20 32 and 32. 5 was the only one with a known fault code. I was not able to connect to the airbag unless I put it in as a 964 or 95 993. The horn still works so I'm not sure if that means the clock spring is still good. Trying to figure out if it is the clock spring, the airbag module or the airbag itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:53 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

I would not trust the Durametric in this. All these codes except number 5 are unknown in the Scantool fault code definitions, and I guess they are false reports. I have seen other notes on Durametric reporting wrong or unexisting fault codes in the 964/993.
However, problems in the clock spring wire to the steering wheel are often seen, so this might be correctly reported.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 09-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

^^^ Yes, I've seen same odd codes on my durametric (makes sure you have the latest software, it was just updated again). I trust the scan tool more for these things. Usually I'll run both.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:41 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Perhaps start with a continuity test through the clock spring to confirm the airbag circuit in the clock spring is ok.

If that is ok, then do you have another steering wheel? If not then test the airbag computer by putting a resistor like the RS steering wheel/momo steering wheel conversion to close the airbag circuit and, reset the airbag error code with your durametric. Fire up the car and see what happens to see if it's somewhere in your airbag computer / circuit or the airbag itself.

I have some extra resistors so if you want one pm me you address and I'll mail you one.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:29 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,023 Posts

First of all when you turn on the ignition does the airbag light in the clock come on and then go out after a few minutes?
If this is the case it is an encouraging sign as it indicates a non-trigger/deployment fault.
Make sure you have downloaded the latest Durametric software version.
You may need to use Durametric in the 964 or even the 996 mode to access the airbag controller as there was an airbag model transition that happened during the 993 model years. Once you have access to the controller you can use Durametric to clear the light. Once you have done these things and the fault still won't clear you will need to trace the wiring. The steering wheel wire has a plug the can be accessed once the cover for the turning signal controls is removed. Its connector is tucked behind the dash where the column goes through the dash. This will allow you to continuity test the rotation connector.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:34 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Hodapp
So my airbag light came on recently in my 1996 C2 Cab and I have been trying to find the source of the issue. Took apart the clock and resoldered everything and tried to reset it with a Durametric. Codes would come back instantly, the codes were, 5 ignition circuit, driver, 66 20 32 and 32. 5 was the only one with a known fault code. I was not able to connect to the airbag unless I put it in as a 964 or 95 993. The horn still works so I'm not sure if that means the clock spring is still good. Trying to figure out if it is the clock spring, the airbag module or the airbag itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is typical behavior from the durametric diagnostic tool when trying to access the airbag. You have not stated whether you have a 3 spoke or the OEM 4 spoke wheel/airbag, in your car.

To me, the fact that the tool recognizes the airbag as present, proves continuity and would indicate that the clockspring is functioning. If you could borrow a loner airbag, you could do a process of elimination diagnostic decision as to the offending component.

I am commenting on the assumption that you've already cleared the codes and they come back on immediately.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Thank you for all of the help. The steering wheel is a 4 spoke and the light does not turn off after a few minutes. The tool is my neighbors and he just got it last week I think so it should be up to date. When turning on the car, the light comes on with all the other warning lights then goes off for a second then stays on. I think I'll get the multimeter out later today to try and check the connection. Does anyone know the size torx bit needed, looks to maybe be a T25.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 736 Likes on 522 Posts

Were our OEM Airbags ever recalled? Just asking because of the TAKATA Air bag recall. Guessing that didn't affect our cars in any way?
Old 09-05-2018, 02:32 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Hodapp
The steering wheel is a 4 spoke and the light does not turn off after a few minutes..
My understanding is that any non-deployment fault will cause the light to go on and then off after a few minutes.
A fault caused by a deployment (a crash) will not extinguish and the SRS controller cannot be reset under certain conditions.
So it is unclear how your set of symptoms fit into this.
Andy
Old 09-06-2018, 09:32 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
My understanding is that any non-deployment fault will cause the light to go on and then off after a few minutes.
A fault caused by a deployment (a crash) will not extinguish and the SRS controller cannot be reset under certain conditions.
So it is unclear how your set of symptoms fit into this.
Andy
I'm not sure this is true, as it was not my experience...

I made the stupid mistake of turning my key to the ACC position, while the airbag was disconnected, which is a non-deployment fault.

Immediately the airbag light came on which remained illuminated for days and would not go off until it was reset with a PST2, hammer, or PIWIS Porsche diagnostic tool.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:19 AM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

So, my airbag light issue has resurfaced after my battery died and replaced it. I've already taken the clock out and checked all the solder points, I've also taken out the clock spring and checked connections on there. They were fine. When I had Darin reset with Bosch tool, I got a 2 Ignition Circuit error. Anyone have any ideas what to look into next? Error shown below:

The following users liked this post:
ToreB (03-09-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 04:10 PM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

I have resolved the issue with my airbag light, after having checked everything, the only thing that I had not done was replace the airbag control unit. After replacing it with another used unit and resetting it with a PIWIS, I no longer have any issues. I did open up my old unit and could not find any cold solder joints that would have caused issues and was unable to reset the light with the PIWIS so unsure what the true root cause of the problem was.

Quick Reply: Diagnose airbag light cause