993 Forum 1995-1998

Project Gold sells for $3.1 Million USD at auction

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 02:04 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7

Obviously this is a one off situation. Not sure why you’re disparaging the buyer. He could have bought 99% of any collector car in the market, including far glitzier Ferrari’s, Lambos, etc. Instead he purchased an old school “not very fast” classic of which the majority of the proceeds will go to charity.
​​​​​​
Personally, I don't quite understand some of the negativity surrounding project gold. I get that some people wanted it to be more than what it turned out to be, but for what it is, I think it's really special. If I were in a position to afford it, I would have been bidding. I hope the new owner enjoys the last air-cooled Porsche with as much authenticity and passion as we do here on rennlist.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:45 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

I hope he treasures it. I know that the 5 owner 23 year old 993 in my garage under two car covers and on a battery tender is special to me. I have meticulously sorted it out over the last ten months and take great pride and enjoyment in it. I have always wondered if the very rich can have the same enjoyment in material things when that can afford so much.

The below link shows an Enzo (and a bunch of other cool cars) that was abandoned in the Dubai desert. According to the reports there are some 2,000 to 3,000 cars abandoned each and every year in Dubai, simply discarded and left by their owners to gather dust in the searing desert heat. I am sure there are many responsible wealthy folks in Dubai. I just hope the guy who purchased this 993 is one of them.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/the-s...oned-supercars

http://newtechinfo4u.blogspot.com/20...bandon-in.html

Old 10-28-2018, 04:28 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 90 Posts

About 40-years ago, not too long after the Arab "Oil Crisis", in which OPEC jacked fuel prices exponentially sending the world spinning, my father-in-law, an engineer, was sent to Saudi Arabia with Bechtel. They were building the airport at Riyadh, among other extravaganzas from sudden, explosive wealth.
He observed large numbers of wrecked, expensive European cars, left sitting on roadsides- MB, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
Reasons given were that the Saudi's had no prior experience in driving much of anything except camels, and their resultant driving skills were close to zero. They passed dangerously on roads, used excessive speed, did not maintain vehicles. Women were forbidden to drive. There was so much oily money that if these cars were in accidents and people survived, they'd get another, leaving the remains.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:21 PM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha its a dry dusty country the cars get caked in dirt fairly quickly! not abandoned. I say well done to the lad that bought the car. I hope he drives it hard before mothballing it away. The dumped cars where mainly westerners facing bankruptcy or other financial crisis and due to debt being punishable by prison a lot of westerners dumped their porsches,lambo's etc and got out of Dodge.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963SWC
, I took away that the car has several scheduled events/showings upcoming and that a qualified bidder would have been aware of these and accept those terms.
YEP
it will be used for various exhibits and such. all that is in the order of business in the back of the bid book.
some one used the term "rich young jerk". I don't know the gentleman who won the bid. but there are young billionaires who are not jerks.
I know 2 of these "kids" and it's not family money...

and 3 others who aren't exactly kids but not that old.
I used to help them out a lot. like one lived in my apt for free.
but they worked hard and had way better brain than I. tried to explain what he invented and how he sold the company. It was over my head.
his money doesn't make him a jerk....
he just have more money than most ppl. I don't see that as a problem.,
and if he or anyone bought a car, a watch or whatever.... it's their toy and if they treasure it , cool. if they don't, it's their toy...
it's really not our business.

let it go.

Quick Reply: Project Gold sells for $3.1 Million USD at auction