Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What machine polish compound are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Default What machine polish compound are you using?

I have swirl marks and light scuffs from cleaning on my black now 24 year old paint. It seems to me to be quite soft compared to modern paints. It is a 2 or 3 stage process that Porsche used- is there a clearcoat layer?

Anyway, I am going to use a dual action orbital machine polisher to restore it and I'm wonder what machine polish you all use. I have been looking at Grigot's no.3, but I think it's out of production now. Any better suggestions? I'm pretty new to this having recently purchased the DA machine.

Thanks, Meenrod
Old 11-27-2018, 11:44 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Porter Cable random orbital polisher (old school but still works great), 5" microfiber or foam polishing (not cutting) pads, Menzerna SIP for swirls. Menzerna PO 85 RD for fine polish. Sonax Polymer Net Shield sealant. All products available at Detailer's Domain (Rennlist sponsor).
Old 11-27-2018, 11:48 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

If you like Griots I’d skip Machine Polish 3 if you have mild to moderate swirl marks. They recently came out with a new polishing compound in a yellow container. I can’t recall actual name right now.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

I have no feelings about Grigot's - they came up in my Google search. Are their products okay?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:05 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
Porter Cable random orbital polisher (old school but still works great), 5" microfiber or foam polishing (not cutting) pads, Menzerna SIP for swirls. Menzerna PO 85 RD for fine polish. Sonax Polymer Net Shield sealant. All products available at Detailer's Domain (Rennlist sponsor).
I'll check out Menzerna thanks .
Old 11-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

I would recommend 3M 06068 Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish.

When I had my Guards Red Boxster I was **** about swirls. It was nothing as bad as your black paint, but it was still a battle. After using many products and much investigation I came across the below products. I use the compound first using the wool pad then the machine polish using the foam pad. I also use a 7-inch 10-amp variable speed polisher from Harbor Freight for the job. This was by far the best way I have found for remove swirl marks.

3M 6085 06085 Perfect-It Rubbing Compound
3M 33281 Wool Compounding Pad, Single Sided
3M 06068 Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish
3M 5733 Perfect-It Ultrafine Foam Polishing Pad, 05733
Harbor Freight 7 in. 10 Amp Heavy Duty Digital Variable Speed Polisher, No. 62297
Old 11-27-2018, 12:15 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Meenrod
I have no feelings about Grigot's - they came up in my Google search. Are their products okay?
I have not been impressed with their polishes and waxes but love some of their other products (glass cleaner, rubber cleaner, blue microfiber towels).

Trust me. The Menzerna stuff will blow your mind!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:58 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

Grigots products are ok. I'd go with Menzerna as Cowhorn suggested.
Whatever you use, work in small sections, and slow hand-speed is key. Also don't forget Wash, Clay, polish, then Seal.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:31 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts

Menzerna is great stuff. I've been using if for a few years.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:46 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Short answer Menzerna.

Long answer...

Assume you have single stage paint. You can check by putting some polish (not wax) on your towel and rubbing, if you get black on the towel then it's single stage. If not, then you have clear. Porsche was transitioning on solid colors from single to clear during the 933 product run. Main difference when detailing is with clear you have less margin for errors as the clear coat is thinner than paint.

It's more about process than a specific product, especially black! I have a Guards Red 993 single stage, not as bad as black, but still shows scratches easy.

Wash, soap, rinse, dry. Wash using jet stream on nozzle. Soap you want lots of foam. Dying it's nice if you have a high powered blower, if using a towel (microfiber although some still use very high quality cotton). ONLY use a towel that is for drying for that car. DO not wash and dry detailing towels with anything else.

Clay.

Wash, soap, rinse, dry. Why, well there will still be some small particles left.

Polish. First time through and occasionally thereafter, do 2 stages. First a medium cut (you may need something more aggressive but I would not go more aggressive without some experience) then a finish cut.

Wax. Maybe 2 coats, allow to dry before second coat.

Once the car looks like you want it to, and as long as it's not extremely dirty, you can just wash properly and hand apply some wax, then occasionally go through the whole routine.

While carnauba looks great, unless your doing a high end concours show, I would use a synthetic, it last a lot longer. I use Menzerna Power Lock.

I do use a orbital for polishing. Use to Porter Cable, works fine, now use Rupes.

I may display for a charity event but do not compete in concours. Over time I have found a little more effort goes a long way.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:46 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Re olishers.
Many pros have advised to not use anything but a dual action, random orbital polisher like the PC 7424 or Griots. Too easy to exert excess pressure with devices like the HF piece, overheating paint surfaces and causing damage. The video of the PC polisher demonstrates "too much" pressure being exerted, the device sensing such, slowing or ceasing to rotate, preventing damage.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:16 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

I'll check out Menzerna thanks .
Good choice.
I use;
Flex XC 3401 DA polisher, (had porter cable, but the Flex is more effective, quicker, can apply more pressure) see here for info https://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html
Lake county pads, though most any will do
Menzerna compounds

Have fun.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:38 PM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I have been using Zaino products for almost 15 years and think it's the best stuff out there. Best part, you can get this stuff on your trim and rubber, leaves no white residue and wipes of easy. http://www.zainostore.com/

If your paint has lots of scratches and swirl marks, I would clean the car, clay and start with this stuff http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-PC.html (Note: If you are not getting the results due to heavy swirls or scratches I would try a more abrasive compound polish like the 3M kits, I have had good results with these 3M products when I do some color sanding.
3M Polishing Kit) 3M Polishing Kit)
Once you have all the swirls and scratches removed I would finish off by using Zaino Z-2 http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-2.html Make sure you get the ZFX flash cure accelerator http://www.zainostore.com/product/ZFX.html This stuff actually makes a difference and works with Z-PC, Z-5 and Z-2.

Going forward once all the paint has been restored, I would maintain the car by using Z-5 http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-5.html and Z-2 http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-2.html. I swear by these products and the shine is insane. Make sure you follow their instructions. Here is are a few pictures on how it shines on my Metal Black 993. Good luck with whatever product you go with.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:32 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

I've been using Griots 3 step polishes for years now with their random orbital. Always get compliments on my paint. Interested in the Menzerna polishes after hearing all these great reviews. Maybe I'll try it out.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:08 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Thank you to everyone who contributed above - lots to read and it's clear the process is crucial. Appreciate the help.

Meenrod

Quick Reply: What machine polish compound are you using?