Sponsored by: DashLynx

R & R Clockspring

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 04:46 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default R & R Clockspring

This appears to be an a/c or heat diverter box located under the dash, on the drivers side. Can anyone tell me how this attaches, or is removed?

Its blocking access to the clockspring wire loom, for the removal and replacement of the clockspring.

I have read several threads on the subject but none of which address my question. Help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have opened this box but I do not readily see how its attached...
TIA!
Old 05-14-2019, 05:43 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Are you trying to replace the clockspring? No need to go that deep. Once you remove the clock spring and let it hang connected, then remove the plastic around the steering column and may loosen the turn signal cluster you can get access to the connector to remove the clock spring.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:36 PM
rwestervelt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If that air diverter is installed in my car, I did not remove it to get the the clock spring harness connector. I remember accessing the connector to the left of the steering column and it wasn't easy to get to the first time.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:55 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by rwestervelt
If that air diverter is installed in my car, I did not remove it to get the the clock spring harness connector. I remember accessing the connector to the left of the steering column and it wasn't easy to get to the first time.
This is what I am running into... I do not believe mine has ever been removed before, so the wire harness is all zip-tied and taped per the factory, and I dont want to start ham fisting the wire connectors from the front.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:02 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Are you trying to replace the clockspring? No need to go that deep. Once you remove the clock spring and let it hang connected, then remove the plastic around the steering column and may loosen the turn signal cluster you can get access to the connector to remove the clock spring.
I am there already...

Old 05-14-2019, 09:49 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
I am there already...
Shouldn't you be able to just pull on the clock spring pigtail and its pigtail plug will just come out of the dash opening?
Andy
Old 05-16-2019, 04:10 PM
nine9six
Banned

Andy,
From what I have read and researched, if per the factory, the wiring looms are taped and zip tied up under and around the steering column.

Both front and back side are not readily accessible, without removing the entire length of the knee pad, and I don't feel like getting that deep on what should be a simple swap, of unplugging and plugging in the new clock spring.

If I could remove the air diverter, I would be much better off in achieving the end result.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:11 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Andy,
From what I have read and researched, if per the factory, the wiring looms are taped and zip tied up under and around the steering column.

Both front and back side are not readily accessible, without removing the entire length of the knee pad, and I don't feel like getting that deep on what should be a simple swap, of unplugging and plugging in the new clock spring.

If I could remove the air diverter, I would be much better off in achieving the end result.
I have never removed the air diverter or the knee pad on my cars.
I was able to get to my 993 spring pigtail plug as the plug was right next to the pigtail plug for the turn signal stalk assembly just inside the hole.
Maybe you can get to the ty-wraps, if present, through the hole in the dash and cut them in place with long scissors and pull the plug out.
Other options include cutting off the wire and solder splicing the new clock spring on the wire or just repairing your old clock spring by gluing new or the original pins to it, this is what I ended up doing, has lasted many years now.
The spring is not something you touch very often and it is not visible so you have some options.
Andy
Andy
Old 05-17-2019, 02:24 AM
nine9six
Banned

Update:
OMG! I can't believe what a bee'atch it is to remove a clockspring connector from a wire loom when, as still intact from the factory! Even pulled the CCU to gain additional access to the bundled wire loom. What a PITA!

While I'm in there I will clean the CCU wire harness contacts and perform a cleaning and relube on the little motor's shaft bushing, attached to the backside of the CCU.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:41 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update:
OMG! I can't believe what a bee'atch it is to remove a clockspring connector from a wire loom
Well, at least when you are done you can position the pigtail plug just inside the hole in the dash for easy access going forward.
Like you will ever need to pull it again as once you break the pins off once it's a learning moment and one is very careful to not do it again.
Glad you were able to sort it out.
Andy
Old 05-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

It always amazes me when what should be a very simple and easy DIY task turns into a bloody knuckle frustrating job. Glad you finished it.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:50 AM
nine9six
Banned

Yep, hands are sore and have pulled more skin off the backs of my hands, than I care to mention...

Still not there yet, but close.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:14 PM
Lopaka
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently changed my steering wheel and clock spring. I had to contort myself under the dash to do this as well. Just an FYI don’t shove the pig tail back under the dash again. It will fit in the cover that surrounds the steering wheel. I have no idea why they don’t have it like that from the factory.

Quick Reply: R & R Clockspring