Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convertible top success story

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:39 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Default Convertible top success story

I have had my car over 20 years and the top has always been an area that has always had issues.

A few weeks ago, the car started making squeaks from the front window frame area and both of the side window frames near the top. I thought it was the weatherstripping getting old, etc because I had solved it before by using some rubber dressing and the noise went away on the driver's side of the car. The other side persisted.

The squeaking got louder the following week and I then opened the top and found the guide pin in the top on the passenger side to be tight at the touch but being able to turn by hand ever so slightly. I turned the silver bolt at the base of the pins with a plier about 1/64 of a turn to tighten.

Low and behold, after a test ride over a rough road and then a smooth road..........NO MORE SQUEAKS and the rock solid silent ride returned......the pin was also slightly loose on the driver's side so I tightened that.........

In over 20 years I had checked the pins several times to make sure they were securely in place, but had not made a regular check of it.......

If your cab is squeaking or rattling ever so slightly or having the latches hang up ever so slightly before opening, it may be that the pins needing a very small turn of the silver bolt with a plier at their base to completely be tightened.........
Old 06-02-2019, 01:59 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

You have to love simple fixes. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-02-2019, 05:44 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

It's good to know that those damn guide pins do more than puncture your top when inadvertently putting your top down onto them! Lol!
Good work on the adjustment and I guess I'll be keeping the pins in place for a while yet!
Old 06-02-2019, 05:47 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by 2RedPorsche
It's good to know that those damn guide pins do more than puncture your top when inadvertently putting your top down onto them! Lol!
Good work on the adjustment and I guess I'll be keeping the pins in place for a while yet!
Oh, those pins.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

1/64 of a turn? Really?
Old 06-02-2019, 06:35 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
1/64 of a turn? Really?
I think that the op means to ensure the pins are tight.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:40 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also recently adjusted mine.
Then applied a very light coat of lithium grease.
Opening and closing is now an uneventful experience.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:33 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
1/64 of a turn? Really?
Maybe less than that......I could not believe the result.....I had hand tightened first and then used the plier to make it real snug.......can't believe the car is so quiet after 24 years....amazing design and assembly to make this car this sturdy versus other brands..............I drove the car another 20 miles around town to make sure I fixed the issue and it rides like new......
Old 06-09-2019, 04:17 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

I took my car for a ride last night. Before leaving, I snugged both top pins and returned my top to the closed position. Great results. The top was snug. I noticed a big difference. Great suggestion. Thank you.
Next project. I need to stop my top from free falling onto the windshield frame when closing......
Old 06-09-2019, 09:58 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
I took my car for a ride last night. Before leaving, I snugged both top pins and returned my top to the closed position. Great results. The top was snug. I noticed a big difference. Great suggestion. Thank you.
Next project. I need to stop my top from free falling onto the windshield frame when closing......
Do you have a video of it closing? I think they may all lower pretty aggressively in order to latch.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:01 PM
dwith9
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dwith9

Can you help me locate the pin you are referring to ? My top has made noise for the 20 years I have owned the car
Old 06-09-2019, 05:39 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

There are two (2) pins, one on the driver and one on the passenger side of the convertible top. When the top is in the closed position, both pins are not visible since they both enter the top of the windshield frame. When you open the top, you'll see both pins attached to the front of the convertible top frame, each located where your sun visers are attached. Each pin is approximately 1 1/4" long. You'll recognize them as soon as you open your convertible top.
Let me know that you found them.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
Do you have a video of it closing? I think they may all lower pretty aggressively in order to latch.
Abiazis,
I need someone to operate my top while I take the video. I don't remember my top coming down to the windshield frame with such force. I feel that if I don't put my hand on the convertible top frame as the top is descending, the force will fracture my windshield.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:59 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dwith9
Can you help me locate the pin you are referring to ? My top has made noise for the 20 years I have owned the car
the two pins are black in color that lower and align the top into the window frame and are about 2 inches long. There are bolts at the base of the pin that can be tightened with a deep socket or pliers.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:58 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
Abiazis,
I need someone to operate my top while I take the video. I don't remember my top coming down to the windshield frame with such force. I feel that if I don't put my hand on the convertible top frame as the top is descending, the force will fracture my windshield.
Surprising......has it changed over the time u have owned the car?

Quick Reply: Convertible top success story