Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leatherique update

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 06:50 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by aircooledpurist
I did not take before shots unfortunately, but I was trying to decide if I was going to have them recovered or dyed.
You were going to have seats from an 18k mile car recovered? Is there a backstory we're missing?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:43 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,372 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
You were going to have seats from an 18k mile car recovered? Is there a backstory we're missing?
I think his user name really should be aircooledperfectionist...

He seems quite detail oriented - nothing wrong with that!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:55 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
Or maybe the car is not really 18K miles but actually higher.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:10 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

First ......Good job...... curious post above mine got me thinking..... but it seems the car is in good shape so no alarms......

Interior didn’t seem to match condition of other areas of the car? maybe the odometer cog wheel deteriorated which is common failure on these cars and was not fixed for years?

When these cars were appreciating a few years ago people let the fix go. It was a pretty prevalent issue with the 993s and maybe 964s.... the little $15 part within the odometer disintegrated due to lubricate eating the cog wheel material over time and the miles stopped being recorded......

I know my car has 500 miles more than indicated until I fixed it.....but I obviously fixed it right away by myself.....

Hopefully the the guy who sold you the car also didn’t slip in another odometer with lower miles before selling it to you as it is plug and play connector....

you seem like an owner that will take care of the car and hope you have great luck and fun with it....
Old 06-14-2019, 10:00 AM
LJ993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live out here too. Sorry to hear about your issues with Mark. I know him in passing. He was a client of my firm for many years. I haven’t seen him for a couple of years. Your experience seems very out of character for him. He has always been incredibly meticulous/detail oriented. He was as focused on his customers as he was with his inventory. (I am not doubting your experience). I hope that you get things sorted to your satisfaction. Amazing looking car. Mine has almost 100,000 more miles on the odometer. The prior owner of your car missed out on 100,000 miles of grins! Phil
Old 06-14-2019, 10:02 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 132 Posts

Good morning! First off I will address the odometer. The car came to me with 17500 original miles. I am 100% certain of that. I spoke with the original old man that purchased the car new and owned it until 2018. I have the original purchase papers, hundreds of receipts and work orders from a couple different Porsche dealers and various Porsche shops, tire shops, arranged in chronological order clearly showing the milage creeping from brand new up 600-700 miles each year of it's life. The carfax shows him moving and registering the car in a different state..... then last year the sale to the second owner (collector) at 16,900 miles, the receipt from Eurowerks in Wethersfield CT for $11,000 worth of shocks, springs, hoses, belts, brakes, calipers, rotors, tires, battery, etc, at 17,350 miles. The car rolled off PLYCAR transport to me with exactly 17,479 miles. With 3 to 4 different documents per year, all from different sources, showing the miles adding up year by year..... I can't have a better history on the car.

The old guy drove it to the country club. He told me. The drivers door sill is chipped up from his golf cleats. That sill is getting repainted next week. I have had two different restoration shops in CT meter the paint. It is all original according to both shops, one in FFLD (Sloan) and on in Canton (Automobile Associates).

Now onto my seats. I am new to this classic car hobby. I am used to having new cars every three years that I take care of. They look pretty much new while I own them. The seats in the Porsche had creases on the bolsters. They were all shiny. They were the only thing on the car that looked old. I thought I could write a check to Porsche and get brand new ones (silly me). When I found out it wasn't that easy I started researching how to solve the problem. Recover? Re-dye? I stumbled upon Leatherique. Tried it, and it made things a LOT better. Not perfect, but passable. I have also learned from a value perspective I am better off with the original seats.

I didn't set off looking for a museum car. I didn't get one. My car is far from perfect. I did end up with a car with low milage because that car happened to be the colors and condition I was looking for. I am a bit **** about my cars, so my first classic Porsche is going to be obsessed over a bit. I am the first to admit that. Do enjoy chatting and reading here with all of you. I'm learning a lot every day!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:06 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

And here is a pic of the original owner with my car.....
Old 06-14-2019, 10:18 AM
UNCSooner
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember seeing that car for sale on Bring A Trailer in March 2017. Here's a link: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-2/. Great looking car. I also own a '95. Enjoy.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:28 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Yes. They were asking a ridiculous price and it didn't sell.

Quick Reply: Leatherique update