Gauging Market Value

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 07:51 PM
jnor10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauging Market Value

Hello All,

I’m hoping to gauge the market value of my 1997 Carrera in Artic Silver. I am the second owner, since 2002, reside near Seattle WA while the car was purchased from the original owner located in southern FL. I purchased the car with approximately 61,000 miles and it just turned 97,000 miles. At the time of purchase I was participating in autocross events with our local Porsche Club in an 82 911SC.

Shortly after purchasing (PPI done by a Porsche Dealership in Palm Beach FL) I noted what I felt was higher than normal oil consumption as well as a suspension which had seen better days, given the OEM shocks the car came with.
I began by replacing the stock struts with Bilstein PSS-9’s, an M 030 front sway bar and an RS adjustable rear sway bar. Proper alignment and corner balance by Fordahl Motorsports in Bellevue, WA. I replaced the 17” Cup wheels with OEM 18” Hollow Spokes and fresh Michelin Pilot Sports.

After several lengthy conversations with Steve Weiner of Rennsport Systems I put my car in his hands which amounted to a top end rebuild, some meaningful upgrades and some “while your in there” items were addressed as well. Going down the list the following was accomplished.

Titanium Retainers, Valve Guides, Chain Rails, 993 RS camshafts, 993 RS Intake Valves, RS Clutch Disc, Light Weight Flywheel, TO Guide Tube G50 Cup, 911 Race
Valve Spring Set, Case Through Bolt O Rings, RS Single Pulley Kit, Fuel Pump, Power Steering Belt, Distributer Belt, Air Pump Check Valve, Pistons Decarboned, Secondary Air Injection Passages cleaned, Engine Cooling Fan, Fan Belt, Spark Plugs and Ignition Wire Set and Chip Flashed. All engine work by Jeff Gamroth of Rothsport Racing.

Over the years I added an RS Short Shift Kit (still original shift rod) and RS Motor Mounts as well as a rebuilt Alternator. Battery and Transmission Ground Straps replaced.

A few stories: I used my car as a daily driver and while strategically parked at work, a young gal in a Kia parked adjacent to my car. Her car self combusted and my car incurred heat damage from the burning carcass of her Kia. This caused very minor blistering in a few areas, cracked the windshield and deformed the side view mirror and bumper cover. St Farm would only repair damaged areas which equated to a half body repaint. Not acceptable, so I bore the cost of a full body repaint, minus St Farm’s payout. I added a OEM Euro Turbo front bumper cover and the rear bumperettes were painted to match. Pictures of bodywork are available, just not included.

As mentioned I was active in autocross and started my son in a VW GTI as well. However, at one event, I errored in judgement, letting him autocross my car. He spun the car (which was fine) but in his 17 year old testosterone induced manic behavior, post spin he forced the car into 1st gear. This caused the shift fork to break (as I recall) loosing first gear and having to limp home from the event. Greg Fordahl removed and shipped the transaxle to Portland to Gordon Ledbetter for R&R. An RS shift fork installed and limited slip differential plates replaced with new.

So, all in all a few stories but at the end of the day a great looking well sorted 993 that should have many more miles and smiles to go. I’m still on the fence with selling it but thought I should at least try to gauge its value. I’m sure it may take a true enthusiast to appreciate the engine upgrades, which would be my preference anyhow.

Thanks for reading and any informed thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Note; car goes to Eurotech Bodywerkes next week for refresh of wheels and paint Turbo S brake ducts.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:12 AM
unicorn2
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

There was a 97 arctic silver with PSS10 and about 25k less miles that sold within the past month in the Northwest for I believe $62k. I cannot confirm if it had any paint work but it looked solid like yours. However this other car had no engine work done on it. My estimate is yours would fetch I think a similar amount. Low $60’s
Old 07-06-2019, 12:51 AM
jnor10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much unicorn2 and u7t2p7, this is really helpful!

I did have a dealer willing to market it on consignment for a similar amount. I think 60-65k. My bottom line is that it goes to an enthusiat that will appreciate the work put into the car; it is truly a great drive!

Quick Reply: Gauging Market Value