Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaky 2-piece wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 05:31 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

After procrastinating for 2 months, I finally took off the 2 wheels and had them leak tested at my tire store yesterday. Sure enough, bubbles were coming from around some of the bolts holding the 2 halves together. So I had the tires removed so I can deal with re-sealing the seams. I picked up some GE 2+ silicone, scotchbrite pads, and acetone on the way home.

I appreciate all the suggestions here. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:24 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

If you already have the tire off, wouldn’t it make the most sense to just go ahead and disassemble the halves so that you can get a coat of silicone all over the gasket/joint? Just throwing that out there. Seems much more likely to succeed and little added effort.

So glad I got rid of my two piece wheels. Such a hassle.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:18 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

Late to the party, sorry if this could have helped - I have RH3.6 and had slow leak on one. As a note - water/soap/bubbles tests did not help - the individual leaks were too small - but all the small leaks added together were enough to drop air pressure pretty quick (i.e. need pump up every couple months).
For me, just tightening the bolts (cross pattern and to some torque spec I forget right now) sealed the leak without having to get to the inner bead. I then checked the other 3 wheels and all had 'loose' bolts that torqued up a bit more.
This checking is now something I do every couple years. I'm sure one day they will need a total overhaul but so far, so good.

Hope yours are leak free soon.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:43 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, I removed all the old silicone sealant from both wheels, cleaned the metal with acetone, and applied new DOW sealant as recommended earlier in this thread. Had the tires re-installed, had them submerge them to make sure there was no more leakage, and there wasn't any leakage. So the wheels were balanced and are now back on the car and all is good. Thanks for all the good suggestions and help here.

Quick Reply: Leaky 2-piece wheels