Belts - Non-Preventative maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 12:55 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Default Belts - Non-Preventative maintenance

Between my 86' Carrera and my 993 Carrera I have changed the V belts maybe six or seven times. Every 40 thousand miles +/- my alternator belt breaks. I know when I have broken the alternator belt on the 993 when the little battery picture and the ABS warning lights both light up. This is my "needs maintenance" indicator that I should replace all three V-Belts. I always keep a spare set in the frunk with spare square compressor mounting nuts, pulley cap screws and tools.to install the belts.

This time I used Dayco belts, last time I used ContiTech belts. My philosophy is to start with the number of belt shims that were on the old belts. Seems with this approach I have never really had to adjust anything or had alternator bearing, fan bearing or fan blade rubbing issues. I do have a belt tensioning gauge but have not really found that I have needed it. My automotive belt philosophy has always been to check the belts once they are broken in and leave them with the minimal tensioning possible w/o slipping. On the 993 the AC belt always seems rather tight at the minimum tensioning position when first installed. I have not run into problems with them or the compressor/clutch bearings.

As always I release the AC compressor from its mounting to fit its belt over the clutch. And as always it is a pain in the butt to remount it as I don't do it often enough to remember the sequence of events to get all the mounting capscrews in position with the belt on so I end up relearning this and, oh yeah, the need to release the AC hoses from their mount on the fan housing so the compressor can be manhandled back into position.

Folks here on Rennlist have discussed problems if the original OE Porsche branded alternator belts are not used. Don't know if I am lucky or smart but I have never had an issue with any brand of aftermarket service belt, go figure?

Andy
Old 08-28-2019, 01:28 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Every 40 thousand miles +/- my alternator belt breaks.
Don't know if I am lucky or smart but I have never had an issue with any brand of aftermarket service belt, go figure?

Yet another example of why I really like the Clewett serpentine belt setup. Truly a simple & bombproof alternative to this turn-of-the century shimming nonsense. In addition to the setup I installed in my 993 more than four years ago, I’ve installed five others for fellow Rennlisters...

For what it's worth, I have more than 442,000 miles on my 2001 4Runner (purchased new). I've never broken a belt and tend to change them every 175,000 miles or so when I do timing belt jobs....

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 08-28-2019 at 01:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jlaa (09-01-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 02:00 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Yet another example of why I really like the Clewett serpentine belt setup. Truly a simple & bombproof alternative to this turn-of-the century shimming nonsense. In addition to the setup I installed in my 993 more than four years ago, I’ve installed five others for fellow Rennlisters...

For what it's worth, I have more than 442,000 miles on my 2001 4Runner (purchased new). I've never broken a belt and tend to change them every 175,000 miles or so when I do timing belt jobs....

Andreas
I'm guessing you have had no issues with the alternator under-charging, then? Is there any way to know if this will be a problem - e.g., my 993 is a '95 model?

Edit - To my under-charging question, I was checking out the Clewett website. As a non-electrically inclined engineer I'm wondering how adding a 4 watt light bulb in the engine compartment helps this problem?
Old 08-28-2019, 02:08 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
I'm guessing you have had no issues with the alternator under-charging, then? Is there any way to know if this will be a problem - e.g., my 993 is a '95 model?

I do not, nor have I heard of charging issues from the Rennlisters I've steered towards the setup. According to Richard Clewett, the pulleys are sized such that the alternator is driven a bit slower than the stock setup, but faster than the RS setup.

The last 993 I installed a Clewett setup on was a '96 and the owner has since driven thousands of miles over the last 4+ months.

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 08-28-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:29 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I appreciate this very timely discussion on the Clewett. There are many different threads with both plus and minus on the alternator situation.

Unfortunately for me my knowledge and understanding of this topic does not exceed what could fit on the head of a pin

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
I'm wondering how adding a 4 watt light bulb in the engine compartment helps this problem?
Can someone please explain this to me too? How does adding a resistor in line in the circuit assist?
I thought the problem was insufficient generation of current (?) from the alternator.

Can anyone confirm/ deny that the addition of a Clewett system makes the A/C run even more poorly?
Old 08-28-2019, 02:41 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DocTock993
I appreciate this very timely discussion on the Clewett. There are many different threads with both plus and minus on the alternator situation.

Unfortunately for me my knowledge and understanding of this topic does not exceed what could fit on the head of a pin

Can someone please explain this to me too? How does adding a resistor in line in the circuit assist?
I thought the problem was insufficient generation of current (?) from the alternator.

Can anyone confirm/ deny that the addition of a Clewett system makes the A/C run even more poorly?
Russ,
I quizzed Richard about this and was told that adding a 4w or 5w incandescent bulb between the blue wire post on the alternator and an ignition-on source in the engine compartment serves to "excite" the alternator sooner. The bulb only illuminates for a moment and then stays off. I did this on my 993, as well as on all the others I've installed - simply because it's an easy thing to do. Not because I've experienced any sort of charging issues.

My setup is neatly hidden within the engine fuse compartment on the driver's side.

Andreas
The following users liked this post:
Jlaa (09-01-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 02:48 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

At Andreas's urging, I also put a Clewett on my car this spring. I DD this car in slow traffic and don't rev the hell out of it, and 3500 miles later, zero issues with charging or AC. The alternator is a fresh, good quality rebuild and the battery is new, which may mitigate some issues, but again - zero problems.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:59 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Russ,
I quizzed Richard about this and was told that adding a 4w or 5w incandescent bulb between the blue wire post on the alternator and an ignition-on source in the engine compartment serves to "excite" the alternator sooner. The bulb only illuminates for a moment and then stays off. I did this on my 993, as well as on all the others I've installed - simply because it's an easy thing to do. Not because I've experienced any sort of charging issues.

My setup is neatly hidden within the engine fuse compartment on the driver's side.

Andreas
Andreas -
Thank you for that picture and explanation. Your thread and comments regarding the Clewett have been extremely useful.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:46 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DocTock993
Andreas -
Thank you for that picture and explanation. Your thread and comments regarding the Clewett have been extremely useful.
I second this. Thank you, Andreas.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:55 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

@AOW162435 convinced me to convert when we went through my 993.

I am a Clewett fanboy.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:23 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts

Russ,

Andreas
Neatly hidden

Old 08-28-2019, 06:12 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Andy,

"never had an issue" and "Every 40 thousand miles +/- my alternator belt breaks" do not coincide for me. A broken belt halfway between Barstow and Vegas on a summer day would take all the fun out of the trip, and could be dangerous/catastrophic, even with the correct tools and a spare belt.

I'm also not understanding randomly switching brands of belts, or even straying from genuine Porsche belts when problems with aftermarket ones have been documented by trusted shop owners.

And I'm not calling into question anyone's calibrated thumb, but I have that little tool, and I use it every time I change belts. I know for sure it works better than my thumb does...
Old 08-28-2019, 07:46 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Anyone know if unused new belts can be kept in storage and still be good after 4-5 years? Bought some years ago and they look perfect...or does age do them in...
Old 08-28-2019, 07:57 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Can a clewit setup be used with a TPC supercharger and the required pulley?
Old 08-28-2019, 08:01 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

"Anyone know if unused new belts can be kept in storage and still be good after 4-5 years? Bought some years ago and they look perfect...or does age do them in..".
As a large component is rubber then probably no. Especially if subject to heat, dryness and sunlight.

Quick Reply: Belts - Non-Preventative maintenance