Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ringmeister 993 at the ring. Being chased by a modified 964 in 993rsr body.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 12:00 PM
jj1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Great video.

Looks like the cupholder is made by RAM. I use their suction cup holder for my AIM solo and it’s fantastic quality. At less than $50 I think all of us Porsche drivers can skip the group by.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-17-2019, 03:29 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a cupholder like that but not that brand. It's mounted in my G Wagen, Looks like they don't make it anymore, but it really works.

BCS Patented Cup Holder

Description:

Introducing the most unique, durable and functional patented cup holder available. It’s called the BCS Cup Holder. The BCS Cup Holder is designed to meet your most rugged demands for performance.

Features:

* Unbreakable Polycarbonate Body
* 6061 Aircraft Quality Front & Rear Rails
* Sealed Bearings for perfect rotation
* Non Corroding Brass Fittings
* Zero Gravity Gyrating System
* Stainless Steel Mounting Hardware
* Accommodates Most Size Beverages

They had more expensive versions as well:

http://www.off-road.com/aimages/arti...6/article.html
Old 01-04-2021, 02:46 PM
JRN_1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi guys, I am the one in the orange 964.
The Nordschleife is a long track and you need to make sure that you have a coffey available if you would do an unexpected stop :-) You need one of these https://rammounts-germany.com/unpkd-...-bas-3714.html or if you like to mount on the rollcage one of these https://rammounts-germany.com/unpkd-...nza-strap.html
The following users liked this post:
NC TRACKRAT (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 04:46 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 263 Posts

Great driving - your lines are much better than the 993
Old 01-04-2021, 09:23 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts

yea, that was some great driving. Loved watching it.
JRN_1 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 10:57 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

JRN_1, years ago, I had the distinct pleasure of driving the "Ring" at the 3-day BMW school. It was a humbling experience and, after seeing your driving skills, I recognize the concentration and incredible number of laps it takes to achieve your ability. Bravo!
JRN_1 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 04:42 PM
JRN_1
Rennlist Member

Yes, in the video the lines are a bit different but also to a certain extent due to different character of the cars. My car is 200 kg lighter and at the time had 40-50 hp less power. But also the fact that I have had some more practice at the Nordschleife gives the benefit of being a little bit more efficient preserving momentum, especially important when you are down on power. But I am sure I will need to work hard to stay ahead for next season :-)
Old 01-05-2021, 05:26 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by fsa
I've not raced, but seems the 993 was hogging the track on turns, when the pursuing 964 might have been able to pass?
If it was a race the 964 could have passed the 993, his ability to brake much later would have allowed for a pass into one of the turns.

Originally Posted by Gbos1
The coffee cup
Awesome

Originally Posted by Group911@aol.com
The real story is that silver Mercedes that neither one could touch until he backed off to let them by. Wow
That was an AMG Black series with significantly more HP, stripped out (think GT3RS version of AMG), and all of the electronic advantages over either 25+ year old Porsche and besides that Merceds was 1500 feet ahead at the start of the video and both Porsches closed on that car within a reasonable amount of time given the advantages of the Mercedes.

Originally Posted by mooty
beautiful cars and fabulous drivng
thx for sharing
WHERE CAN I BUY THE CUP HOLDER? NO, THIS IS A SERIOUS QUESTION.
agreed

Originally Posted by JRN_1
Hi guys, I am the one in the orange 964.
The Nordschleife is a long track and you need to make sure that you have a coffey available if you would do an unexpected stop :-) You need one of these https://rammounts-germany.com/unpkd-...-bas-3714.html or if you like to mount on the rollcage one of these https://rammounts-germany.com/unpkd-...nza-strap.html
Nice driving, you look very comfortable with the track and the car and it appears you laid off far enough to not stress the driver in the 993.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:00 PM
JRN_1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by luv2race
If it was a race the 964 could have passed the 993, his ability to brake much later would have allowed for a pass into one of the turns.

Awesome

That was an AMG Black series with significantly more HP, stripped out (think GT3RS version of AMG), and all of the electronic advantages over either 25+ year old Porsche and besides that Merceds was 1500 feet ahead at the start of the video and both Porsches closed on that car within a reasonable amount of time given the advantages of the Mercedes.

agreed

Nice driving, you look very comfortable with the track and the car and it appears you laid off far enough to not stress the driver in the 993.
The guy in the blue 993 is my friend 9MRSCS and we had decided to do two laps togheter with this second lap with me driving after him so this is the reason why I drive so close but with no effort to pass or no friendly "letting past" by the 993. Passing on the Nordschleife always takes "two to tango" during trackdays especially if the cars match each other in straight line speed and acceleration The code of conduct "if you are caught from behind, you are overtaken" is very important at the Nordschleife just at it is to stay cool and not get frustrated if someone does not let you by. There is no room for mistakes or misunderstanding at the Ring :-) But yes, currently I am a bit faster than 9MRSCS but only due to that I have had some extra practice. But I am sure that 9MRSCS will make me work hard to stay ahead in the future :-)
wpw3 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 06:15 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JRN_1
The guy in the blue 993 is my friend 9MRSCS and we had decided to do two laps togheter with this second lap with me driving after him so this is the reason why I drive so close but with no effort to pass or no friendly "letting past" by the 993. Passing on the Nordschleife always takes "two to tango" during trackdays especially if the cars match each other in straight line speed and acceleration The code of conduct "if you are caught from behind, you are overtaken" is very important at the Nordschleife just at it is to stay cool and not get frustrated if someone does not let you by. There is no room for mistakes or misunderstanding at the Ring :-) But yes, currently I am a bit faster than 9MRSCS but only due to that I have had some extra practice. But I am sure that 9MRSCS will make me work hard to stay ahead in the future :-)

I figured that’s why you were following closely but I didn’t think you were too close, you seemed to give plenty of space. I had the incredible honor of being passed by Hurley Haywood at Watkins Glen and he was so close to my rear bumper prior to making the pass that i thought he was in my backseat when i saw him smiling in the brake zone entering turn 11.

Is there a rule about who maintains the race line on a pass? Typically here in the states the slower car/driver maintains the line and the faster driver has to overtake knowing this fact. Looked like you guys were having a good time.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:24 PM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 263 Posts

IIRC you pass on the left at the 'ring by mutual consent - ideally lead driver raises a hand or indicates, so that you know he or she has seen you.

996 has just overtaken the Alfa.

Last edited by orangecurry; 01-05-2021 at 07:28 PM.
luv2race (01-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Ringmeister 993 at the ring. Being chased by a modified 964 in 993rsr body.