Wondering if 993 is the best 1990's to avoid the problem of NLA parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 01:53 AM
William D
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering if 993 is the best 1990's to avoid the problem of NLA parts

I like cars from the 1990's.
I am wondering what is the best car for me to own and keep in light of fear of nla parts.
I previously owned a 1997 Porsche Carrera. Since sold. It was a Cab and a nice one, but I thought it was time for me to sell and I am more of a hard top fan now.
Current cars include 1992 subaru svx and 1990 BMW M3.
The subaru is running out of available parts.
Will the BMW hold up better?
Should I go back to Porsche 993?
Any other suggestions?
Ferrari?
Chevy?
Thanks.
Bill Z
Old 10-12-2019, 02:28 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I don’t think for most mass-produced cars this is a big problem. However, the rarer the car, and the smaller the manufacturer, the less likely parts will be available in the long run.

By that definition, if parts availability is the most important factor, one is probably safe with, say, a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord, since they have been made in the millions by large companies with a huge stockpile of parts. Obviously, the opposite might be true for a smaller manufacturer like Ferrari that builds models in much lower numbers.

That said, I wouldn’t be too concerned with any large auto maker like VW aka Porsche, BMW, Audi etc. running out of critical parts for cars built in the 1990s anytime soon.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:56 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,217 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Support for the 993 remains strong and parts availability is good. There are a couple of notable exceptions. The ABS pump is evidently NLA. I’m not sure what the solution to that problem is - finding someone to rebuild them is evidently problematic. Steering racks are no longer available new, though Porsche (among others) sell re-mans and rebuild kits are readily available. The 993 is still a comparatively simple car, even for the era. That helps. I have to imagine that, for a classic sports car, the 911 is pretty much the gold standard for ease of ownership given the huge trove of DIY data on Rennlist. Every conceivable issue has been blueprinted at this point.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:56 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
The ABS pump is evidently NLA. I’m not sure what the solution to that problem is - finding someone to rebuild them is evidently problematic.
Last time I checked, BBA Reman was rebuilding our pumps. Not sure if that info has changed, though.

http://www.bba-reman.com/us/index.aspx
Old 10-12-2019, 11:03 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,371 Likes on 514 Posts

Like you, I am also a big 90s car fan and I have two of them (but left unchecked I’d have a lot more!) I can only comment on the 993 and F355 and while neither are a major issue at this point, the F355 definitely has more parts that are tough to find. I haven’t run into a real issue with mine yet but I see that there are parts that are just almost impossible to get. I just ordered new floor mats and the only way to get some was to go aftermarket. But generally. It makes things a bit more challenging but they are still a car that I am happy to own and the parts issues are manageable. The 993 in contrast is no problem at all. I’m sure there are some exceptions but generally there are plenty of original OEM parts out there, Porsche still carries most, plenty of aftermarket support. It’s not an issue on 993s today.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:10 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If you stick with cars that have a large enthusiast and/or collector community such as BMW 3 series or Porsche 911, Corvette or even a WRX someone usually will develop a solution to model specific part availability problems. For example, on a 993 there is a supplier that has developed rebuild kits for all the HVAC servomotors and there is a replacement gear kit to fix the odometer. Also larger parts that require manufacturing expertise to make will tend to stay in production, things such as exterior light assemblies and bumper covers.
Andy
Old 10-13-2019, 12:33 AM
William D
Advanced

Thanks for the replies.
I think I really want to repurchase a 993, but fear getting into the same problem of nla parts. It is good to hear that is not really a problem.
thanks.
Bill Z
Old 10-13-2019, 09:40 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Another reason parts will not likely dry up soon is profits. Unlike some of the less expense marque the Porsche aftermarket commands strong price tags. Simple economics make it plausible the tap won’t be shut off anytime soon.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Last time I checked, BBA Reman was rebuilding our pumps. Not sure if that info has changed, though.

yes they still are rebuilding our ABS pumps
Old 10-13-2019, 04:15 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,217 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

Originally Posted by Gbos1
yes they still are rebuilding our ABS pumps
Excellent. Good to know.

As far as I know, that was the only questionable issue in terms of major parts availability.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:26 PM
William D
Advanced

Interesting about the abs pump.
I had to replace that on my svx and it was nla. Had to go used.
Also, it has been a long time since I was on this forum. Was great back when I had my car and the response now has been great. Still recognize some of the same guys.
Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: Wondering if 993 is the best 1990's to avoid the problem of NLA parts