Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upper dash access to radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 11:57 PM
grazingcow
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Upper dash access to radio

I'm installing a microphone for the bluetooth call feature on the radio. There is a nice factory hole in the dash just left of the speedometer that's the perfect size for the mic. My problem is that after removing the dash I can't find any access to the radio, the metal framework seems to be completely boxed. poking around with a wire fish hasn't revealed anything as well.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:22 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I have some ideas, but I refuse to be an accomplice in cutting holes in a 993's dash face. Nope nope nope.

Have you considered mounting on the right side of the steering column down near the dash? Easy access and no cutting.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:46 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I mounted mine to the windscreen inner rubber seal above the rear-view mirror and then channeled the lead through the seal across and down to edge of the dash to an access panel held in place by one screw and hidden when the door is closed. With the access panel off I was able to pass the cable through an existing hole, through the back of the dash to connect to the radio. Put the panel back on and you'd have to look really hard to see it. I'm my hardest critic and I was pleased with the outcome.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:41 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,026 Posts

There may be a reason why in many cases the microphone is mounted high up not lower down in the dash. It may have to do with the engine, HVAC blower and road noise interfering with its function. i bet it could be put next to the mirror and the wire hidden behind the inner windshield edge running down to the radio as outlined above.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:07 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 239 Posts

I have installed about a hundred radios in 964 and 993's and always install the handsfree mic in the roof between the sun shades.
Easiest way is to run the wire under the dash and through the little hole under the triangle lid (with one central screw) at the left dashboard end. Then, press the wire into the narrow dashboard panel split to the windscreen, and tuck the wire between the rubber gasket and roof lining.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 10-13-2019, 05:49 PM
dantonio
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 125 Posts

I recently installed my Porsche Classic Radio and had the same problem. There is a small hole for the antenna that passes between the sheet metal that divides the upper and lower dash. With the radio out you can reach in and use pair of pliers to remove the rubber grommet for this hole, which should give you enough room to pass your wire. I routed both the GPS receiver wire and the bluetooth microphone wire this way.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:39 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks Dantonio! I’ve been trying to install a boost gauge and can’t find a way to route the line. I never thought to pull the radio.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:45 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToreB
I have installed about a hundred radios in 964 and 993's and always install the handsfree mic in the roof between the sun shades.
Easiest way is to run the wire under the dash and through the little hole under the triangle lid (with one central screw) at the left dashboard end. Then, press the wire into the narrow dashboard panel split to the windscreen, and tuck the wire between the rubber gasket and roof lining.
Cheers,
Tore
I did this but then went up in the left pillar and have the small mic bracket tucked in the recess about eye level on the left pillar...
Old 10-20-2019, 02:24 PM
grazingcow
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Alternative route

I found a gap between the upper and lower halves of the dash that was just big enough for the mic plug to fit through. I needed to remove the screws from the top airbag mounting bracket so i could get my fingers in their. Nice thing is all that extra wire gets hidden under the dash.

Quick Reply: Upper dash access to radio