Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dashboard removal - driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 05:18 PM
Bluehorizon
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Dashboard removal - driving me nuts

Trying to install the Porsche Classic radio and am the stage where I should hook up the GPS unit. Trying to remove the dashboard and have managed to get everything out of the way (various screws, the clock, even the vents) however I am now left to tackle removing the nut that sits between the clock and vents. I've been trying for hours to undo it, however it feels like it's turning but not coming off. Concerned that whatever it is connected to has lost it's thread but wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Also, wanted to confirm that the way I am turning the nut is clockwise while facing the front (i.e. sitting in the car)?

In the mean-time I'm removing the glovebox to see if I can have more access that way to route the GPS cable from a sliver under the dash down to the radio area.. joy..
Old 10-19-2019, 06:12 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Bluehorizon,

This nut is on a stud that extends from the metal dash toward the front of the car. Best access I've found is from the clock opening. No need to remove the center vent, and it is easy to crack, so best left alone. I use my smallest 10mm box-end wrench to break this nut loose. There is also a washer behind the nut.

You are turning the nut in the correct direction. If you envision turning it from the front, looking toward the back of the car, then righty-tighty, lefty-loosy...so CW looking forward.

If the stud is turning, it may twist off--no big deal, you can JB Weld it back on, then just don't tighten the nut too tight when you reassemble.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:15 PM
dantonio
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 125 Posts

I had a very difficult time removing my dash for this install job as well. Turns out somebody previously glued the centre vent in with double sided tape!! I could tell it was stuck on the centre vent and it took a lot of firm but careful persuading back and forth to get this point released. Thankfully the glue broke before either my dashboard or centre vent did. Hopefully you don't have the same issue!
Old 10-19-2019, 07:09 PM
Bluehorizon
Instructor

Bobby T, thanks. The nut seems to just turn and doesn't appear to be coming off. May have to hold the stud with something to see if I can stop it from turning.

Dantonio, the vent is out without an significant damage - only one of the clip holders snapped but I've glued that back on. Oh, and some old padding from the factory fell off :-)
Old 10-19-2019, 09:47 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

There was a thread on this a few days ago:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...h-removal.html

You should NOT try to remove the vent. Access is thru the clock hole. If you can’t get that out, try the speedo then push the clock out.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:36 PM
Bluehorizon
Instructor

Eric, I took the vent out eventually (after removing the clock) to see if I could pull the GPS wires down the other side of the dash area without removing the entire dash. No such luck and the nut just keeps on twisting even while I hold the rod so I'm assuming the thread is bad.

Might have to use a nut splitter..

Last edited by Bluehorizon; 10-19-2019 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Dashboard removal - driving me nuts