Caveat Emptor: jeanhules

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 03:16 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Caveat Emptor: jeanhules

Hello all,

It’s with great dismay I have to post this about a transaction with the member who goes by “jeanhules.” I initiated a transaction over a Getty CS Wing late last month. Condition was described as excellent. As well all know with pieces such as these, the end prep is the defining point. With that said, he stated it was in excellent condition with no significant defect. So, I agree to purchase the wing from him and pay for the associated UPS shipping. The item was boxed and packaged at the store (be very weary of this service). I received the item damaged from the shipper UPS; however, that wasn’t what irked me the most. As I mentioned prior, the end prep of these products whether from Porsche MS or Getty, requires someone to know what they’re doing. Mind you, I received photos prior to (but not in the detail one would normally need when purchasing a product from a 311 and BBi display vehicle). I could not tell of these glaring defects. You don’t have to as there is a level of trust. By the way, Getty’s website is incorrect on it being a 6 position wing vs 4. That goes with the Maus and CS (one I received). Separate issue. Anyway, he refuses to aknowledge that pin holes, painted over fiberglass (with exposed fibers), and other cracks/scratches make for an excellent product. His words were were and I quote, “It’s an excellent condition Getty Wing.” As in, that’s the best quality you can expect from them even though we know prep is everything. Suffice to say, we are now in an AMX dispute and a UPS (the latter to describe here shortly). He stated I can return it. Minus shipping. However, I would not dare put this on my vehicle in the previous condition or the received condition from UPS. Let alone purchase in the first place. UPS screwed up a bit, but the damages do not extend into the preparation of this product. Why a full reimbursement was not offered is beyond me. Scruples come to mind as well as reputation.

I say all of this to warn you about the descriptions of his larger ticket items. A $2000 Wing is slightly different to that of a gearbox, suspension, or motor. Be very very careful. He’s adamant about his stuff and it differs significantly from that which is described.

As a side to the UPS Claim, I should have (but naively didn’t) pay them directly for the shipment. He did. Hence, receipt of damage claims even though I payed and filed, are reimbursed to him. I will be pursing civil ligation for such and would hate for another to be in my shoes “shipping” wise.
The following users liked this post:
Meenrod (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 03:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Can you please post photos of the wing that was sent to you prior to purchasing, as well as photos of what you received so that the differences can be highlighted?

Also, if you're planning on showing supporting documentation, please keep in mind that you're not supposed to post private messages on the public forum.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:10 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Mark,

I understand you are a moderator. Posting photos for public use is irrelevant in the situation. Warning of the experience and experiences to come IS on the other hand. If you provide your personal email, I’ll be more than happy to oblige. As far as mitigation, there is only so much you personally can do.

Don't take my word for it, another has posted on his items for sale with regards to how he sells items. Further lending credence.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:25 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Sadly, I purchased genuine RS wheels from him last year. They were literally thrown in boxes with no tires and no packaging apart from a few sheets of brown paper. This is despite charging me for packaging materials. He claimed the boxes were new... obviously, they were very old and from a prior purchase. No receipt was provided. Looked like they had been in a garage for years. Suffice to say the wheels arrived very damaged and scratched across the face and rims.

Who would put $4k worth of OEM Porsche wheels in a box with no packaging to protect? I was so angry! He refused to pay for any repairs because I had told him I was going to refinish them anyway and when I had no choice but to bring a PayPal dispute forward he actually won! Don't know what he said to convince them. Also, he overcharged me on shipping but refunded me some money when I asked for shipping receipts as he knew I was on to him. I have blocked him on this forum.

I take it on the chin that I should have warned you all before now. I usually try and avoid conflicts.
The following users liked this post:
L39E (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 05:33 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Another example. Mark, if you need any more proof of the John Hull and his lack of due care to items sold here, the above suffices.

On top of your picture request, 90% of the time I get a 50% upload then error. I’m not going to waste an hour uploading. I can provide you photos through another means.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:34 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Mark,

I understand you are a moderator. Posting photos for public use is irrelevant in the situation. Warning of the experience and experiences to come IS on the other hand. If you provide your personal email, I’ll be more than happy to oblige. As far as mitigation, there is only so much you personally can do.

Don't take my word for it, another has posted on his items for sale with regards to how he sells items. Further lending credence.

I'm trying to understand why posting photos is irrelevant. You have stated there is a disconnect between you and the seller. The fault may very well rest with the seller, but objective people would often like proof since, in so many of these instances, there are two sides to the story.

I'm attempting to help you with your issue and your issue alone, regardless of any other current or past problem.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:51 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I'm trying to understand why posting photos is irrelevant. You have stated there is a disconnect between you and the seller. The fault may very well rest with the seller, but objective people would often like proof since, in so many of these instances, there are two sides to the story.

I'm attempting to help you with your issue and your issue alone, regardless of any other current or past problem.
If you truly want me to post publicly instead of privately I can attempt. The site of which you moderate is quite honestly, poor with regard to photographic documentation. I offered to send to your email of choice. How the latter doesn't equal the former is perplexing.....unless you want "peer" review?
Old 10-28-2019, 06:10 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Old 10-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Old 10-28-2019, 06:16 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

From irregularities in the surface prep (bumps and dips seen with the eye, no light effects needed), masking paint lines, pin holes, to painted over exposed fiberglass in the ducts, this is literally the worst piece I’ve ever seen described as “Excellent.” I even believe that there is evidence of a painted over “crack” in the paint. There are more defects I could have taken pictures of at the time. I will say, the damage done by UPS would be significantly different like that of a scrape or ding.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:20 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

I’m actually embarrassed Ryan of 311 actually used this vehicle as a representation of their shop. I know the work that has come out of AMS when he worked with them and have met Ryan there and on track. I can’t speak for what comes out of 311 now, but this really, really puzzles me. BBI, I can forgive a bit. They took stock photos of this car. But gee whiz, I own a 1998 Subaru Legacy with better paint/prep than this and it’s my daily driver.

i even gave advice to John ok how to properly ship a tranny and engine. What a waste....
Old 10-28-2019, 06:22 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 736 Likes on 522 Posts

Yeah that doesn’t look like a Excellent Cond! I would have been as well! Hope you get everything taken care of and all your money back!
Old 10-28-2019, 06:34 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,244 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Yeah, that's a 20 footer. Low rent finishing. The pitting and cracks and exposed fiberglass cannot be called "excellent" by even loose definitions of the word.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:46 PM
Magicscott
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I'd be pissed too! The 10 foot pictures used to advertise the wings look excellent IMHO. Unfortunately upon closer inspection of your detailed pictures reveal some shoddy prep work glossed over with beautiful paint and clear. You deserved a full refund plus shipping cost as the wing is not as describe.

Best of luck with everything,

Magic
Old 10-28-2019, 07:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I've seen so many people get burned on here, so one lesson I've learned over the years is I would never ever buy used parts, especially large and/or delicate ones, from anyone, unless they are a part where scratches and dings won't make a difference. You're almost always better buying off new, or used but only in person where you can examine in person before paying.
The following 2 users liked this post by goofballdeluxe:
911F1 (10-28-2019), stevensivak (07-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Caveat Emptor: jeanhules