Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mahogany / walnut interior trim, replaceable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 03:31 PM
Beezztie
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Mahogany / walnut interior trim, replaceable?

I am looking for a 993 S / 4S and ran into one that ticks a lot of boxes, (metallic) black, offered at a PC, good mileage. Interior is the only thing I dislike. The beige leather is something I may be able to live with but the dash and door panels have a walnut / mahogany trim which I find awful. Probably was an expensive option at the time, also looking at the Exclusive badge that is painted on the dash trim. Is it doable to replace this with something else or mission impossible?
Old 11-05-2019, 03:42 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

which pieces are covered in wood? I would start with Suncoast and see what interior trim parts they offer. May get an idea of what's available. Either way, I think converting will cost a lot. fwiw
Old 11-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Beezztie
Instructor

A lot is covered in wood, front of dashboard (including radio / climate surround), surrounding of instrument cluster, upper part of door panels. I was looking at the parts catalog and checking online if these can be obtained in a different color / material. Door panels is no problem but several parts of the dash say they are not deliverable any longer. Think I will let this one go by..
Was trying to upload some pics BTW but uploading from my PC does not work and sharing them from my OneDrive location also does not work.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:21 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Heck that's the cheap stuff! Get some carbon fiber bits (or other?) and replace it all. Where it gets expensive is steering wheel, shift ****, handbrake.

My carbon fiber install:
Old 11-06-2019, 01:15 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I am very interested in the wood if you take it off. I love the wood trim. I am happy to pull my black parts in trade plus cash coming from me.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:02 AM
Beezztie
Instructor

Are you serious about trading your parts with surcharge for the wood parts? Some pics below:

The following users liked this post:
evilfij (11-08-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 04:03 AM
Beezztie
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Heck that's the cheap stuff! Get some carbon fiber bits (or other?) and replace it all. Where it gets expensive is steering wheel, shift ****, handbrake.

My carbon fiber install:
That looks very nice! Were the existing parts wrapped in carbon fiber foil or did you exchange parts? If you got other parts, where did they come from?
Old 11-06-2019, 10:33 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Beezztie
That looks very nice! Were the existing parts wrapped in carbon fiber foil or did you exchange parts? If you got other parts, where did they come from?
I got the CF stuff from Marcus (his name will come up in your searches). The dash parts (like what you would want) are all overlay pieces, so you would remove and replace your wood overlays with these. Some other parts (nothing you need) are wrapping existing parts, but I forget exactly which pieces.

Regardless, it appears you have other problem parts too -- handbrake and shift ****. You could get those custom done (like I did) but it takes time & money. And new door cards will cost you too. And you have rather unique tan vinyl under your gauge cluster, so you have to contend with that too.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

I too am not a fan of the wood...... but that interior is so retro and fits the car and color so well. In another ten years who knows.... you may love it and it will be back is style.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Beezztie
Instructor

Who knows yes, it does look better now than it did the first time I saw the pictures :-)
Old 11-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Beezztie
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I got the CF stuff from Marcus (his name will come up in your searches). The dash parts (like what you would want) are all overlay pieces, so you would remove and replace your wood overlays with these. Some other parts (nothing you need) are wrapping existing parts, but I forget exactly which pieces.

Regardless, it appears you have other problem parts too -- handbrake and shift ****. You could get those custom done (like I did) but it takes time & money. And new door cards will cost you too. And you have rather unique tan vinyl under your gauge cluster, so you have to contend with that too.
Many thanks, at least I know now it is doable.
Did a check on the license plate registration number and found out it had 9 previous owners. Even though the car is 22 years old that does seem a lot..
Old 11-06-2019, 02:50 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

Don't let nine owners concern you too much. Look close at the CarFax. Some are flippers, dealers or the owner moved or paid off the car. Let the PPI be the judge. I would rather have a 9 owner car that has been well maintained than a one owner car that was neglected. Keep us posted.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:47 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow! I've never said this about a wooden 993 interior, but that looks awesome! I'd keep it as is, especially since it was an exclusive option to the car. What a conversation piece!
Old 11-06-2019, 05:36 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Wow! I've never said this about a wooden 993 interior, but that looks awesome! I'd keep it as is, especially since it was an exclusive option to the car. What a conversation piece!
Indeed. Now that I see it, I think it would be a shame to tear out this exclusive interior. I’d keep the car as is or choose another car.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:32 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Not usually a fan of wood trim in cars old or new but this one looks just right. I will add my vote that you please don't destroy that great looking interior if you buy it.

Quick Reply: Mahogany / walnut interior trim, replaceable?