Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Want to redo the door handle rubber gasketss

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 10:25 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Joe, I recall a retention clip that must be pried open. Is there one on the replacement?
Old 04-05-2020, 11:10 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok...so my door handle gaskets need to be replaced as well. I REALLY don't like dealing with door panels, and interior bits with plastic clips, tabs, etc., because they inevitably break (especially on a 23 year old car), and then I'm stuck with a door panel or the like that flops around or doesn't fit right! But, this thread has made me give it a 2nd thought. Probably still won't do it, but at least I'm thinking about it again!
Old 04-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
Ok...so my door handle gaskets need to be replaced as well. I REALLY don't like dealing with door panels, and interior bits with plastic clips, tabs, etc., because they inevitably break (especially on a 23 year old car), and then I'm stuck with a door panel or the like that flops around or doesn't fit right! But, this thread has made me give it a 2nd thought. Probably still won't do it, but at least I'm thinking about it again!
a concern I shared. Mine seem fine with everything back together now. There really isn't much plastic 3-4 tabs on the door card which are just there to hold the card in place and plastic connectors for the speaker box (HiFi on mine). Everything else is screwed in. Worst for me was cutting the moisture barrier. Wasn't really sure from reading instructions here how to do it and I don't like the way I did it. I cut a big X over the oval openings so I could get my hands in to the handle nuts. Putting it back together wasn't as clean as I would like even if they likely won't be seen again for another 20 years. If I had to do it again I would cut a circle rather than two slits and then cover the circle in tape or a large sticker as I did here. I had some 3M clear bra material leftover from my last project replacing the stone guards. I used it to tape everything back up and then seal it all back together. I figure if that stuff can last 23 years on the outside exposed to everything that it will be great for this purpose. Also nice that I had plenty so instead of strips of tape I have essentially one big sticker exactly where needed.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:35 AM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Originally Posted by techman1
Joe, I recall a retention clip that must be pried open. Is there one on the replacement?
there is. I don't seem to be able to get a screwdriver into them. I tried on the ones in the car, which are very hard to see for a good bit of time and it was not happening. I even tried on the new ones and the gap on the clip is smaller than anything I have. very frustrating. I need to figure something out as I am tired of having to use a piece of pvc pipe to prop the frunk open
Old 04-06-2020, 11:13 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 949 Likes on 482 Posts

I wanted to say thank you for this thread because I currently have my entire interior out of my recently acquired 993. Was getting ready to get my replacement RS door cards installed and figured "while you're in there..." and started looking around to sanity check everything in the door before I covered everything back up (including missing vapor barriers). I saw this thread and decided to have a look.

Well, much to my surprise, both doors have no gaskets at all on either handle. *face palm*

Not knowing these cars well enough yet, I never noticed or even knew there should be gaskets there. Replacements on the way.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:40 AM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
I wanted to say thank you for this thread because I currently have my entire interior out of my recently acquired 993. Was getting ready to get my replacement RS door cards installed and figured "while you're in there..." and started looking around to sanity check everything in the door before I covered everything back up (including missing vapor barriers). I saw this thread and decided to have a look.

Well, much to my surprise, both doors have no gaskets at all on either handle. *face palm*

Not knowing these cars well enough yet, I never noticed or even knew there should be gaskets there. Replacements on the way.
nice, I got halfway into it and thought "RS Door guards would a great way to go here" and decided not to go down that particular slope yet. The passenger side handle is in a tight, tight spot but otherwise it is pretty simple

Old 04-11-2020, 10:32 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful tips - caution with small screws holding door handles, cutting the protective film, twisting the black plastic internal /lock mechanism cover, location of plastic door card rivets and the right tools....

Completed the job in less than 3 hours with second side going in less than an hour....

Dealer wanted $1400....bought new gaskets on eBay for $54.00......this repair along with new stone guards earlier this year make the 993 look fresh.....

On a scale of 1-10 this is a 3....patience is a virtue as the nuts holding on the handle near the lock are tough to get to and the long plastic lock mechanism cover needs to be twisted to be set in its proper place.....and my car has very little excess electrical switch plug wire making the plug in of the double switches a real bitch on the drivers side.....passenger side had excess wire to play with.......hope these gaskets last another 25 years!!

film covering access - cut L shaped hole over access hole hold open with tape and retape with clear tape

old gaskets very brittle and broken off

Ebay - $ 54.00.....make sure you get for 1995 if a 95...shop a bit to save $30....

battery disconnect before the job

easy to remove - screws along the bottom and sides and plastic rivets on upper left and upper right that pop out

nokia stereo speaker unit - screws easily accessible - used small electric screwdriver for all screws

last panel to remove after speaker cover and speaker unit - Door card - need to remove 3 hex nuts ( # 5) in handle and pull up on door release to unhook ( 2 screws behind handle) other in top portion of handle at an angle.....

plastic that is covering lock - twist out and in....not much room to work......affix bottom screw first and then reposition top part to align the top screw in - makes it easier

plastic covering lock - screws - 2 small ones widest apart

2 5/16th screws - hand loosen at the very end to avoid dropping in the bottom of the door - far screw - use no extension to small ratchet

pull straight out and turn toward car to remove - not attached - actuates on a plate in the door...

residue to clean with metal polish

crumbled old gasket - not much left

new gaskets from eBay - clean and lubricate the lock

done and looking much fresher

clean and lubricate

cleaned with metal polish

done

looking back to normal

autographed on film and inside door speaker connector

plastic lock cover - twist the hard plastic to reinsert - screws on outside door jamb - hardest part of the job

nokia amp HIFI option

easy connector for large speaker

tweeter connector

tie back switch connector/s to not lose in the door.....did not have much wire to pull out on drivers double switch - patience is a virtue

Easy way to clean inside of door pocket cover to speaker.......

Last edited by abiazis; 04-12-2020 at 04:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The Eagle (04-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 12:31 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I did mine while preparing for some paint correction. And, did the side mirror gaskets too. This was not the first time someone had done some paint correction on this 993 as evident by the paint on the rubber. Ugh... do it right or don't do it.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:10 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

E-euro parts has the 4 gaskets for $32.00 for the door handles including shipping....I overpaid by $20....
Old 04-12-2020, 10:15 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Originally Posted by abiazis
E-euro parts has the 4 gaskets for $32.00 for the door handles including shipping....I overpaid by $20....

Yeah I paid $36 from Pelican with a 10% off coupon

but damn I wish I had your instructions.

Question, the black plastic thing that covered the locks, did you have it on both sides? I only had one on the passenger side and because I didn't have your instructions I worked around mine which was a giant pain in the ***

Old 04-12-2020, 10:23 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon 'Bama
Yeah I paid $36 from Pelican with a 10% off coupon

but damn I wish I had your instructions.

Question, the black plastic thing that covered the locks, did you have it on both sides? I only had one on the passenger side and because I didn't have your instructions I worked around mine which was a giant pain in the ***
Had the black plastic on both sides....you must have used a flat wrench)
Old 04-12-2020, 10:54 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Had the black plastic on both sides....you must have used a flat wrench)
I wonder if the plastic thing was left off at the factory or fell down inside the door? Guess my door cards are coming off again
Old 04-13-2020, 12:27 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

I wonder if the plastic thing was left off at the factory or fell down inside the door? Guess my door cards are coming off again
Check the screws on the door jam...if they are missing that most likely means it is not attached. Are you the original owner? Someone else may have been in there for some reason....
Old 04-13-2020, 10:09 AM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Check the screws on the door jam...if they are missing that most likely means it is not attached. Are you the original owner? Someone else may have been in there for some reason....
2nd owner but I have had it since it was in warranty so it is unlikely that anyone else has been in there. I went through all the records recently and I don't see any mention of the doors.

I'll check the door jam

Old 04-13-2020, 02:42 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

2nd owner but I have had it since it was in warranty so it is unlikely that anyone else has been in there. I went through all the records recently and I don't see any mention of the doors.

I'll check the door jam
If the screws are missing......that is the answer......I live in Berkeley Lake, GA....where are you located? PCA member I suppose....may have crossed paths

Quick Reply: Want to redo the door handle rubber gasketss