Sponsored by: DashLynx

Passenger seat issue....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 10:49 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Passenger seat issue....

So I replaced the switch in my passenger seat as it was only going intermittently forwards and backwards. I know you can clean the switches, I tried but no joy.

Anyway, now the seat moves forwards and backwards but it crawls forward and makes a reluctant motor noise but moves backwards promptly and enegetically.

Anybody have any ideas?

G
Old 04-02-2020, 10:56 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe the cables that transmit motion from the motors to the gearbox?
Old 04-02-2020, 12:34 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Check the cables

Could be the cables are toast. Remove the cable, then with a square bit tool, turn the mechanism that the seat moves on.
If the seat moves easily, then the cable likely is the problem. Had this once myself. Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:43 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

And when you reinstall the cable - ask a lot of questions and triple check. It takes an instant to ruin it (Or three of them) even when you think you have it installed correctly. not simply just stuff it in and assume its fully engaged correctly.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:54 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had luck saving old cables by "lengthening" them, so they more fully engage the motors. If you remove a couple mm of the outer jacket, you effectively lengthen the inner cable. This can push the square end of the cable further into the motor and mechanism, making more solid contact.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:04 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpruden
I've had luck saving old cables by "lengthening" them, so they more fully engage the motors. If you remove a couple mm of the outer jacket, you effectively lengthen the inner cable. This can push the square end of the cable further into the motor and mechanism, making more solid contact.
I'll try this firsts before having to but 2x$100 cables!

Thanks

G
Old 04-05-2020, 04:05 PM
DES993
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience has been once the square end starts to fray the seat will intermittently loose its alignment. After several episodes I bit the bullet and got a cable. The service manual has a fairly straight forward alignment procedure that measures left and right cable housings from the front of each rail. You don't have much variance to play with.

Happy Fix

Dan
Old 04-05-2020, 11:44 PM
TexasJake
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I used this method recently on a new to me 964 as the motor was binding up and wouldn’t travel forward fully. By manually driving the one side that was binding and advancing the other side evenly with the switch (which you must do to avoid additional misalignment), I eventually found the culprit was one of the two rail bolts at the rear inside track had backed out (up) and was binding on the upper track and stalling the motor in the forward direction. When I re-torqued that bolt, the bolt head no longer hit the upper rail and the problem was solved.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:56 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexasJake
I used this method recently on a new to me 964 as the motor was binding up and wouldn’t travel forward fully. By manually driving the one side that was binding and advancing the other side evenly with the switch (which you must do to avoid additional misalignment), I eventually found the culprit was one of the two rail bolts at the rear inside track had backed out (up) and was binding on the upper track and stalling the motor in the forward direction. When I re-torqued that bolt, the bolt head no longer hit the upper rail and the problem was solved.
Pretty sure it's not this as I recently had the seats out of the car and the bolts were all put back correctly when they were reinstalled.

Quick Reply: Passenger seat issue....